PDA

View Full Version : Program Ideas?

hellert88
May 29th, 2010, 04:20 AM
So I have been programming for about 3 months now in Perl some CGI and some javascript. I have written a couple of in depth programs, but I am wondering if anybody will give me any ideas on some programs that I could do to get more practice that will also be somewhat useful to me after I write it, if possible. But I will also just take any examples that you might have, I get bored of the ones in the back of the Perl books.

Thanks

lostinxlation
May 29th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Out of boredom, I wrote a few game programs inspired by old arcade games in perl the other day. They run on VT100 compatible terminals like xterm and all based on text, not GUI. You have to manipulate the cursor(player), update the game board at every move, determine if the move is legal, etc.. The codes have only 100 - 200 lines in perl and it's not very difficult if you know the basic stuffs about perl, but you certainly need to learn some new stuffs. So, I think it might be good for you to practice coding and most of all, it's fun.

The easier one is snake, and then sokoban.. If you are a little more advanced, you can write tetris or space invaders or pacman.

xsinsx
May 29th, 2010, 05:28 AM
A fun one might be build a game like the tower of hanoi puzzle. Then build a second program to solve it for you.

BoneKracker
May 29th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Write your own log monitoring program that initiates actions when certain events occur.

Write your own backup script.

Write a program that uses pcap to hang a listener outside your firewall, captures only a specially-crafted single IP packet, and then initiates some action in response to the encrypted contents of the packet, such as opening a firewall port to a specific IP address, waking up another sleeping computer on your network, or initiating some batch job.

hellert88
May 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys for the ideas. The log sounds like it would be really great and as for the games they seem like I would enjoy to play them also!