PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to create an installer on USB key ?

Joseeb
May 29th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Hi,

I would like to get Linux working on my new Compaq CQ10-130ca. I was on ubuntu a few days ago, and the was a fast and easy way to create exactly that. Now I come back, the site has changed, and the USB key method too!

I have tried to follow the instructions, but failed completely.,. Does anyone have an "easy" way to do this, or at least clearer explanations on how to proceed ?

Thank you for your time !

Josée

darkod
May 29th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I'm not sure which instructions we are talking about, but if you go here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download

In step 2 you need to select the OS on which you will be creating the USB stick and click on Show Me How.
The instructions there for both windows and ubuntu are not complicated at all. Haven't checked for Mac.

If you still have a problem, ask with more specific explanation what is going wrong.

Joseeb
May 29th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Sorry, you are right about me not giving enough details.

I will be creating my USB key with a Mac. Thoses are the instructions I tried to follow, and failed at.

I have OS X Leopard 10.5.8. I also tried to convert the iso into an image with disk utility, but it gave me an error, so that failed too.

wilee-nilee
May 29th, 2010, 02:06 AM
This might help.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-create-an-ubuntu-installation-usb-on-the-mac/

Probably not in that it appears that the Ubuntu UNR downloads are only cd versions rather then a image. You might consider getting to a windows machine and using unetbootin to load a thumb or a Ubuntu machine and using the startup disc creator. I suspect that this can be done on a Mac I just have no idea how, sorry.

Joseeb
May 29th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Well, it did help, the instructions were a lot better. Since I don't know the commands in terminal, it's nice to have the proper commands to complete a task".

We will starting the installation in a few minutes, I will keep you posted.

Thanks !

Joseeb
May 29th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Well, it did not work. It won't boot from the USB key. Anybody have any ideas ? Suggesitons ? Please ?

UPDATE: I can't even erase, format or do anything with my USB key now... Please, I really need some help now...

wilee-nilee
May 29th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Well, it did not work. It won't boot from the USB key. Anybody have any ideas ? Suggesitons ? Please ?

UPDATE: I can't even erase, format or do anything with my USB key now... Please, I really need some help now...
Can you use a partition manager in the Mac to make sure the thumb has a boot flag on it, and are you using a key prompt to choose the boot device. I'm not familiar with Macs so I am just phishing here. Some will say the boot flag doesn't matter with Ubuntu but under certain circumstances I have found it does.

I am a little worried for you to as in not borking the Mac setup I hope you are completely backed up in case of needing to reload the whole operating system or part of it.

Joseeb
May 29th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Oh my Mac works fine, its just the usb key that seems dead... I used Disk Utilities too try to fix it, but I can't access it.

wilee-nilee
May 29th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Oh my Mac works fine, its just the usb key that seems dead... I used Disk Utilities too try to fix it, but I can't access it.

It is just good practice to be ready for any outcome, that is what I meant. Hope you get it working.