PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] PDF support is very ... shall I say lame in ubuntu

almufadado
May 28th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I have been working with pdfs and I am finding some very disturbing nuisances.

Almost all reader can not do the simple operation of selecting a column in a 2 column text.

It gets worse when there are pictures inserted in the text.

In Evince the "Document viewer" when trying to select some text from a column it starts by selecting the adjacent column.

Also Xpdf has this difficulties.

Since the pdf format is being one of the multi-system document exchange, the community should give more attention to this.

PS : Adobe is no solution for me because it went from being "free" to intrusive.

Zemblan
May 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Okular has a more comprehensive set of selection tools etc. It's a KDE app though, so it will bring with it a number of KDE and QT libraries.

hok00age
May 28th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I have been working with pdfs and I am finding some very disturbing nuisances.

Almost all reader can not do the simple operation of selecting a column in a 2 column text.

It gets worse when there are pictures inserted in the text.

In Evince the "Document viewer" when trying to select some text from a column it starts by selecting the adjacent column.

Also Xpdf has this difficulties.

Since the pdf format is being one of the multi-system document exchange, the community should give more attention to this.

PS : Adobe is no solution for me because it went from being "free" to intrusive.

Why you don't use Adobe Reader from Lucid Partner repository?

1. Open System > Administration > Software Sources
2. Go to "Other Software" Tab and click Add
3. Enter this code in APT line:

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
4. run:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install adobereader-enu

infamous-online
May 29th, 2010, 01:33 AM

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
4. run:

Thank you, say that again so others won't be criticizing Ubuntu. :guitar:

almufadado
May 30th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Okular has a more comprehensive set of selection tools etc. It's a KDE app though, so it will bring with it a number of KDE and QT libraries.

I am going to try it .

I am already been using a mix of gnome and kde, with both environments behaving very well, as well as the apps involved.

Thanks for you suggestion.

almufadado
May 30th, 2010, 12:42 AM

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner4. run:

I do not trust Adobe anymore ! One thing is to give a free product so we buy the related ones other thing is trying to "own" the system (bad experiences in windows !!!).

Also to give root acess to an web application that is used only to viewer documents is at least abusive. And yes I already try it and it seems to work for my particular problem.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

suryaccnamcse
May 30th, 2010, 12:52 AM
I think that the pdf support in Ubuntu is good, it is far better and user friendly than adobe reader.

almufadado
May 30th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Thank you, say that again so others won't be criticizing Ubuntu. :guitar:

I am truly sorry for having a problem in out-of-the-box Ubuntu 10.04 Lucind ! I did not intended to disturb your error-free S.O.!

I am also so sorry for being so blunt ! (I was having a bad day !)

Must also apologize for being a new user to Ubuntu ... fresh out of Windows ?

Do you think I ought to stop using it so I do not find any problems ?

Shall I leave the forum and do not return ?

Do you think is better for me to return to Windows, so I do not have reasons to be a critic as you say I am, or as user that warns for problems as I say I am?

Do you think I should stop sending my input as a user ?

Did you know my phrase "it's better to learn from your mistakes, than to go down for mine !"?
My sound card seem to have a problem as I can not hear your :guitar:! Do you Think I must report this as a bug ?

PS : I am so sorry for having so many doubts today !
I am sorry for being so sorry !
Are all Ubuntu users like you ?

PS 2 : grow a big chest like mine so you can take the "bullets" !

PS 3: Do not worry ... be happy !

PS :guitar:: Blind belief is the cloud that clouds your eyes and doesn't enable you to be a true believer ! And if you do not know already ... one must be firstly true to himself !

PS 5 : my :guitar: works ... I am hearing Metallica's St. Anger !

dwpbike
June 26th, 2011, 10:11 PM
thanks for the platitudes, but the thought of anything from adobe makes me ill. isn't flash enough? but back on point: evince won't open a pdf file (1.8mb map), does open others. both cpu's showing 100%. any fresh ideas?

haqking
June 26th, 2011, 10:21 PM
PDF Editor...read and edit ;-)

I use Adobe reader aswell though purely as it is industry standard pretty much and sometimes .pdf that are interactive forms say only load correctly into Adobe.

bootedguy
June 26th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Don't overlook the poppler-utils. They are command line, but very useful PDF tools.

coffeecat
January 8th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Thread necromanced by now-jailed post. If anyone has questions about pdf support in Ubuntu, please start your own thread.

Thread closed.