PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't install 10.04

hle
May 28th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I downloaded Ubuntu and Kubuntu 10.04 to a CD, rebooted the pc, and after a while the screen just turned black and the DVD-player stopped working. In both "versions". I don't want to start the installation from inside Windows, since I want to install it on a newly inserted (unpartitioned and unformatted disk), and I don't see that drive in the installation options.

Hardware:
motherboard: Intel DP55WB
CPU: Inte i5-750
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD5670 1GB

WinRiddance
May 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I downloaded Ubuntu and Kubuntu 10.04 to a CD, rebooted the pc, and after a while the screen just turned black and the DVD-player stopped working. In both "versions". I don't want to start the installation from inside Windows, since I want to install it on a newly inserted (unpartitioned and unformatted disk), and I don't see that drive in the installation options.

Hardware:
motherboard: Intel DP55WB
CPU: Inte i5-750
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD5670 1GB

It's not enough to download the software (ISO) from the internet. You also have to burn that ISO image onto a CD with a specific type of program that's capable of burning ISO specific files (images). Make sure that your CD is compatible with your CD/DVD drive too. For ISO burning software just google free burning ISO windows (or whatever your current OS is) and you should get plenty of solutions. Also, make sure that your bios is set up to boot from CD first and if possible make it a regular CD as opposed to a DVD disk.

hle
May 28th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Oh, sorry, I should have included that information. I did burn them to a cd (one ordinary non-rewritable CD and one re-writable DVD) using the built in CD/DVD burner program in Windows 7 (capable of burning ISO-files to CD/DVD).

hle
May 28th, 2010, 11:09 PM
and a, strangely enough (to me, at least) I seem to be able to install it inside Windows 7 in a VirtualBox. I think the installation (the real installation) stops before I sholuld have seen the Welcome screen that lets me choose language.