PDA

View Full Version : In the beginning

Don1500
May 28th, 2010, 05:31 PM
In the beginning was the primordial soup of proprietary systems from which CP/M emerged, CP/M begot PC-DOS, PC-DOS begot MS-DOS, MS-DOS begot Windows. And Bill the Usurper, said "It is good, cash feels good in my packets."
Meanwhile Unix sat high on the hill and worried only about the inet gods whom he served. The Rogue Linux (son of Unix) sired many distros that invade the hollowed halls of Windows. They attack wearing Fedoras and Red Hats, screaming the war cry "UBUNTU" and yapping at Windows heals like a Puppy. OS-10 charges from the dark side throwing Apples through the Windows.

samalex
May 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM
In the beginning was the primordial soup of proprietary systems from which CP/M emerged, CP/M begot PC-DOS, PC-DOS begot MS-DOS, MS-DOS begot Windows. And Bill the Usurper, said "It is good, cash feels good in my packets."
Meanwhile Unix sat high on the hill and worried only about the inet gods whom he served. The Rogue Linux (son of Unix) sired many distros that invade the hollowed halls of Windows. They attack wearing Fedoras and Red Hats, screaming the war cry "UBUNTU" and yapping at Windows heals like a Puppy. OS-10 charges from the dark side throwing Apples through the Windows.

By 'begot' do you mean each evolved from the predecessor? The literal definition is 'Father Of' so just thought I'd ask. If so CP/M didn't evolve into MS/PC-DOS, rather CP/M was Gary Kildal's operating system he created through Digital Research and Gates/Allen at Microsoft about the same time bought 86-DOS from Seattle Computer Products for about $50K to have something to show Big Blue and eventually created both MS-DOS 1.0 and PC-DOS 1.0 which were virtually identical except in name.

At that point Microsoft sold PC-DOS to IBM for their IBM 5150 PC and rebranded MS-DOS as a licensed version for other vendors. Both MS-DOS and PC-DOS were pretty much identical until Microsoft split it in 1995 where MS-DOS 6.22 was replaced by Windows 95 and PC-DOS 6.22 just moved up to PC-DOS 6.3 and continued through PC-DOS 7.0.

Unfortunately with the market share PC-DOS got through IBM everyone wanted MS-DOS and CP/M quickly disappeared, but before the IBM PC hit the market CP/M was top dog for years.

Sorry to go all geek on everyone, but the phrasing of the original post just sounded alittle off :)

Sam

bapoumba
May 28th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I had an hesitation: Cafe Games or Recurring. Finally decided to go with Recurring.

Don1500
July 1st, 2010, 07:19 PM
OK then, "86-DOS had a command structure and application programming interface that imitated that of Digital Research's (abbreviated DR or DRI) CP/M " SOOOOO

In the beginning was the primordial soup of proprietary systems from which CP/M emerged, CP/M begot 86-DOS, 86-DOS begot MS-DOS and PC-DOS, MS-DOS begot Windows. And Bill the Usurper, said "It is good, cash feels good in my packets."