PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Shell

-humanaut-
May 28th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Anyone else think Gnome Shell's just a little bit underwhelming. I guess I'm not seeing the point here. (I'm using the most bleeding edge from the GIT repositories as well) It feels like a really stripped down Gnome to me almost like it's missing something critical that and it looks more suited to a netbook then a Desktop. I must say if this is the future of Gnome I hope they can pull a KDE by version 3.3.0 This is almost frightening bad, I suppose the first few iterations of KDE 4.x we're accutally quite terrible but atleast there was a clearer defined goal You could easily see exactly what the developers where aiming for and I think they've all but achieved that with KDE 442. But where the hell is Gnome going? So far my impressions of shell are a step-backwards because of the lack of innovation. Don't get me wrong I love Radical design changes and I was stoked for Gnome 3 but so far I'm just seeing regression on innovation and progression on over simplifying Gnome. I suppose I could be the last desktop user around but doesn't it just strike you as almost a "netbook" remix?

ronnielsen1
May 28th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I agree but I'm sure a lot of people won't. I was using kde before I saw the direction kde4 was going. I have thought, Oh great, now I've switched to gnome and they're going to do the same thing. I don't like the grub changes either

-humanaut-
May 28th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Well, atleast KDE got it together finally. But even in the midst of the worst KDE 4.x it still seemed like it had a direction or a vision you know? Gnome-Shell kind of just feels lazy I suppose like I said It looks like it's designed for a netbook.