PDA

View Full Version : Are you allowed to bring electronic material to your exams?

infestor
May 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM
(of course, provided that it is an "open book" exam) in your university are you allowed to take electronic materials to the (written) exam? by electronic material i mean ebooks, java codes etc.

i study in *** in denmark and we are not allowed to take any e-material, but one can bring out all printed "hard" material (forest massacre!). just doesnt make any sense

julio_cortez
May 28th, 2010, 12:25 PM
It depends, really. Usually electronic material is not allowed as long as it's not a calculator.

We had a java exam back in 2008 and it was split into 2 parts: the programming part was of course done with computers, while the theory part (jml, uml and code analysis) was done without the help of any electronic device.
We were only allowed to bring some slides the teacher released during the course, and nothing else.

But, again, it depends on the course you're doing the exam of. Most of them here in Italy are closed-books exams unfortunately ='(

lisati
May 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM
The last lot of exams I took, many years ago, I didn't have the luxury of anything more sophisticated than a calculator available. However, one exam I figured that I probably wouldn't pass, and indulged in some "lubrication" beforehand to ease the pain. Not recommended. (That exam had a "no calculator" rule, which was a bit redundant - no calculations were needed.)

Wee_Guy
May 28th, 2010, 01:42 PM
In Great Britain most folk are allowed a pen and a calculator when necessary.

I, on the other hand, am 'special' (my handwriting is atrocious) so I word process my exams on a laptop (sometimes with internet access but I would assume that Googling stuff wouldn't go down well with the invigilators...)

gnomeuser
May 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I went I was in engineering college the programming exams were strictly non-electronic. Let me tell you solving on paper, in hand, with no compiler, and you get graded based on your syntax.. is just the second worst thing of all. The worst would be realizing you were using C++.

Frogs Hair
May 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Calculators only in tech. math.

RiceMonster
May 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Only ever been allowed to bring a calculator.

nmccrina
May 28th, 2010, 04:04 PM
It varies. In software engineering we had the lab computers turned on and could use Google, lecture notes, anything. For data structures, though, the computers were off and we were only allowed a page of handwritten notes (which I was too lazy to bother writing anyway :P )

Elfy
May 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Calculator only here - previously we had to use log tables.

dragos240
May 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM
We are allowed.

MichealH
May 28th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Let me put it this way over here in the good ol uk if you are caught with any device except calculator you are instantly disqualified there done you have absolubtly 0 for you mark.

Quake
May 28th, 2010, 11:39 PM
We had a java exam back in 2008 and it was split into 2 parts: the programming part was of course done with computers, while the theory part (jml, uml and code analysis) was done without the help of any electronic device.
We were only allowed to bring some slides the teacher released during the course, and nothing else.='(

Your university is lenient! My programming exams were tortures: they only allowed you to have a pencil and an eraser. And you write down the codes on a piece of paper.

Legendary_Bibo
May 28th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Just my calculator. I didn't have a final or any test for my C++ class though.