PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black Screen During 10.04 Install

t.mil
May 28th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I've been trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 on my Dell XPS 630 but every time i select INSTALL or TRY UBUNTU when booting from the cd, all i get is a black screen with a white blinking cursor. I have tried various options in the F6 menu but nothing has worked. I know the CD is working because I was able to install it inside Windows and dual boot, but I wish to do a fresh install.

ronparent
May 28th, 2010, 03:53 AM
What is your graphics chipset?

t.mil
May 28th, 2010, 03:58 AM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT

mad_bald_guy
May 28th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Maybe try a different version. If you tried th 32 bit go to the 64 bit. Also trying a live USB drive might be worth trying. I have a compaq that for whatever reason won't boot ubuntu from CD or DVD, it does what you are describing. It works fine with USB. I hope this helps, and I welcome anyone to correct me if there is better advice.

-noob

ronparent
May 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
It sounds like a graphics problem, but unlikely for nVidia? When you hit f6 the boot line will be displayed. Hit <end> and backspace to erase quiet splash. The error is probably at the end of the boot process so the screen will probably turn black before you see the last message, but sometimes dropping the splash command in itself will let it boot. Post on how you make out.

t.mil
May 28th, 2010, 10:03 PM
still nothing after removing the quiet splash

ronparent
May 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM
While scrolling onto the screen where did the boot process stop?

t.mil
May 29th, 2010, 12:21 AM
as soon as i pick an option from the boot menu it just goes to the black screen with white blinking cursor

ronparent
May 29th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Let's try again. When booting, do rhe f6 and use spacebar to select the noapic nolapic options and hit end (to move the cursor to the end of the bootline) and backspace to erase the quiet splash, now what scrolls on the screen and where does it stop.

t.mil
May 31st, 2010, 02:13 AM
still just a black screen with blinking cursor

ronparent
May 31st, 2010, 03:06 AM
This is a tough one. The boot process never begins or you would see at least some text scrolling. To take a hint from mint - try individually the parameters irqpoll and noapci. Beyond this I am running out of ideas with no scrolled text on the screen at all to clue us.

It wouldn't have anything to do with an existing install within windows, would it? That does sound unlikely because nothing seems to prevent multiple installs within the same computer or drives.