PDA

View Full Version : a very good read

necromonger
May 27th, 2010, 10:46 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ubuntu-10.04-lucid-lynx,2634.html

Ms_Angel_D
May 28th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Moved to the cafe from T&E since this isn't a personal experience or Testimonial.

pwnst*r
May 28th, 2010, 03:20 AM
****spoiler****

the bottom line

the bottom line is that this operating system installed flawlessly on all five of our test systems. It also performed quite well, showing both significant and incremental improvements in most areas over the previous long term support release. The stacked feature set, unparalleled ease-of-use, rock-solid stability, and heavy coat of polish make ubuntu 10.04 lts lucid lynx the most approachable linux os to date.

So, it is without an ounce of trepidation that we are unseating the now one year-old ubuntu 9.04 jaunty jackalope and calling ubuntu 10.04 lts lucid lynx the desktop linux distro king.

ericmc783
May 28th, 2010, 04:06 AM
awesome review. Thanks!

chessnerd
May 28th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Excellent Review. Very informative. I agreed with just about everything the guy said. Especially the "over-hyped October release" point. I wasn't nearly as excited about 10.04 as I was about 9.10. And I'm already looking forward to 10.10 DESPITE the fact that every October release I have ever used has been buggier.

I fear for Maverick that it will be as Karmic was. Full of instability and experimental, incomplete features, but marketed as "the" version Ubuntu. I think that Lucid should keep top-billing until 11.04 at least so that new users are directed to use a more stable OS.

If 10.10 ships with Btrfs, Gnome Shell, window indicators and other new features. From the UI to the very core the release won't work well for some people. I can see the posts now:
"10.10 not detected by GRUB"
"Btrfs causes loss of data"
"I can't get Gnome to load, help!!!"
"Gnome Shell slow in 10.10"
"New 'windicators' don't show up"
"Maverick Meerkat == FAIL!"

Please, Ubuntu developers, read this article and take heed. I don't want to see another Karmic. Either mark 10.10 as "Not Intended for Production Use" or don't make so many changes. I'm tired of undercooked October releases.

ciborium
May 28th, 2010, 06:05 AM
But the gooey center is the best part.

BoneKracker
May 28th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I believe the tepid reception for Lucid Lynx is due to the colossal letdown that was Karmic Koala. That release had all the buzz in the world, and when it finally arrived, it sucked big time.

:lol:

chessnerd
May 28th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I believe the tepid reception for Lucid Lynx is due to the colossal letdown that was Karmic Koala. That release had all the buzz in the world, and when it finally arrived, it sucked big time.:lol:

This is proof that no matter how bad it is, you will laugh about it later...