PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Tux , Linux T-shirt , mug etc discussion

Omnios
May 27th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Starting a discussion about tux and linux merchandise and wondering if people would buy a tux, tux linux, Linux branded t-shirt or other merchandise online. I am also wondering what kind of product you would buy. For example zazzle has cheap t-shirts but they look like thin cheese cloth you can see the persons skin under the shirt on cheap shits. What kind of merchandise would you like if you where going to buy something. Also there is normal like t-shirts guidien and high end like Aeostatle and American apperel which are pricy shirts but very high quality.

Here are some examples value merchandise.
http://witko.ca/image-shack/classic-tux-shirt-pic.jpg

This is kind of research for me as I am on a disability and running a small tux linux shop with a post in marketplace and am wondering what people would like.

whiskeylover
May 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I would like to buy something with Linux on it, but not so big that its noticeable for the fear of being branded a nerd. Maybe a little logo on the breast pocket or something.

ctrlmd
May 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM
nope i wouldn't buy linux - windows - mac t-shirts maybe mug yeah i would but not t-shirts

have a good day

mihai.ile
May 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM
You know the T-shirts with the nike logo. make it an small ubuntu/linux/tux one.
Ubuntu/Linux stickers are also nice to put on PC's you know like the ones that say For XP or Vista...

McRat
May 27th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Demographic for T's is perhaps 15-28, mostly students.

They often like "edgy" clothing.

So look for humor, sexy, dark, or mildly violent themes.

A penguin eating an apple.

A penguin whistling, bat in hand, looking at the sky. Broken window in background, baseball on ground.

Penguin with shades, tattoo, bandanna, on Harley.

Slutty penguin, Script font.

Horror font LINUX, penguin looks like Batman art.

gawryl77
May 27th, 2010, 09:32 PM
first of all - nice idea ;)

A friend of my has got a mug with Linux logo at work, and i like it - especially because every time some students talk with him in his office (he - and me- are teacher assistances at a university) they can see ,,strange'' logo and very ,,strange'' OS (accually - gentoo :D). So i like that imression made of with that mug ;) So iam interested in buying it (for the resons above and because i ve been using gentoo from 10 yers - and i love it ;) ).

In a case o t-shirts i prefer smaller logo, so to say 2-3 inches big, located on a chest - i havet got it but i am gonna make it by my own. BUT i will buy it when i saw it in a market next to me ;)

WinterRain
May 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM

I make my own linux t-shirts.

cph05a
May 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I'd be more likely to buy a T-Shirt if it had a more colorful version of Tux like some of the avatars.

fordhell
May 27th, 2010, 11:44 PM
i would buy a linux shirt and be proud of it.lol if they call you a nerd thumb them in the eye. lol ..... ford

kaldor
May 28th, 2010, 01:04 PM
All I am interested in right now would be finding good computer case stickers for Linux/*NIX. The Intel and Nvidia logos are lonely!

System76 doesn't count though; Ubuntu stickers only.

More on topic... I could do with a good mug :)

EarlGrey167
May 28th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I would like to get a good short sleeved, button up shirt with a Tux embroidered on the pocket.

98cwitr
May 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
shop.ubuntu.com

I've got a wishlist a mile long...I want it all

nerdtron
May 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Mugs and pins with a cute penguin or ubuntu logo would sell really good. I'll buy them.
High quality t-shirt with a cute glossy Tux (not the one posted by the OP) design, or ubuntu logo. I'll buy them also.

bigseb
May 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I ticked maybe. Thing is, I live far, far away from your shop. :(

Omnios
May 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
That is a very cool t-shirt made by you, I like it very much. I was just wondering that if the same t-shirt is made in black then it will also look cool. It also very simple and sober and I used to wear this type of t-shirts only.

There will be a black shirt version with a gray outline once I get around to doing the artwork, I am very bussy doing artwork and setting up a shop so might be a bit.

Omnios
May 28th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Mugs and pins with a cute penguin or ubuntu logo would sell really good. I'll buy them.
High quality t-shirt with a cute glossy Tux (not the one posted by the OP) design, or ubuntu logo. I'll buy them also.

http://witko.ca/image-shack/15XOc.jpg

nerdtron
May 29th, 2010, 01:50 AM
http://witko.ca/image-shack/15XOc.jpg

perfect! Where would you put up your shop?

Omnios
May 29th, 2010, 03:21 AM
The shop is listed in the community cafe marketplace you cant miss it

cloyd
May 29th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I am not like other people. I'd like to buy a good Ubuntu high quality long sleeve T-shirt. Long sleeve, because, easily tear my skin by just bumping into a side of a door or something. Long sleeves just result in blood blisters, short sleeves result in nasty tears. I want good quality, because I like nice things. I don't like running around in a t-shirt that is light as underwear.

I want a way that I can push Ubuntu, to make it more well known. If more people heard the name, more would use it. It is simple unfamiliarity that keeps most people away . . . all they have ever known is Windows. I bought some stickers from the Cannonical store and I'm waiting for them the get here. I replaced the "powered by Windows Vista" with a "powered by Ubuntu" sticker from System 76.

I'm not a nerd, but then, I've always been something like a nerd. My chosen field is not computers. But in my field, I am the equivalent. I really think that is a good thing.

Omnios
May 29th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I am not like other people. I'd like to buy a good Ubuntu high quality long sleeve T-shirt. Long sleeve, because, easily tear my skin by just bumping into a side of a door or something. Long sleeves just result in blood blisters, short sleeves result in nasty tears. I want good quality, because I like nice things. I don't like running around in a t-shirt that is light as underwear.

I want a way that I can push Ubuntu, to make it more well known. If more people heard the name, more would use it. It is simple unfamiliarity that keeps most people away . . . all they have ever known is Windows. I bought some stickers from the Cannonical store and I'm waiting for them the get here. I replaced the "powered by Windows Vista" with a "powered by Ubuntu" sticker from System 76.

I'm not a nerd, but then, I've always been something like a nerd. My chosen field is not computers. But in my field, I am the equivalent. I really think that is a good thing.

I can not touch Ubuntu there tied up in agreements when it comes to t-shirts though I do have the rights to use Arch Linux branding. My store is mostly Tux though with classic tux, classic glossy Tux, Crystal Tux and right now I am working with butterfly killer tux but having a hell of a time with the artwork to make it work well on white shirts, redid it 3 times so far 4th time might be the charm.

Legendary_Bibo
May 29th, 2010, 04:45 AM
White mug with the Ubuntu logo :P

Andreas1
May 29th, 2010, 07:42 AM
i don't care about the quality that much, but i'd prefer it be fair trade, which means it will be expensive. also, you won't see me running around with a huge tux on my tshirt, maybe a small monochromed logo somewhere, or something like that. or distro logo, maybe.

EDIT: by the way, the font looks horrible

Jakiejake
May 29th, 2010, 07:47 AM
A Polo With The Ubuntu Logo on it with Ubuntu written on it like in the corner

Little Bones
May 29th, 2010, 07:56 AM
A Polo With The Ubuntu Logo on it with Ubuntu written on it like in the corner

Polo would be nice, I'd say the new orange circle of friends logo on the left chest, and Ubuntu in the new writing on the right sleeve.

EDIT: In the event you couldn't get Ubuntu rights, even a similar set-up with a tux logo would be pretty cool.

gemmakaru
May 29th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I bought a Ubuntu baseball cap, but I lost it. Unrelated to this it was really small and would barely fit my head and my head is not large.

v1ad
May 29th, 2010, 08:42 AM
a white T-shirt with a ubuntu logo at the back lower corner.

something professional looking.

a 24 ounce mug. ( i like them big )

also a white ubuntu logo on a black shirt.

Omnios
June 1st, 2010, 02:14 AM
Tux on Large Coffee Mug 15oz I am pretty impressed with the pricing

http://witko.ca/image-shack/tux/tux-tux-mug.jpghttp://witko.ca/image-shack/tux/tux-tux-mens.jpg
tux on T-shirt. Once I get some credits I am getting one of each. Prices are pretty good to.

7G Operator
June 1st, 2010, 02:40 AM
I'd buy the alien crop circle looking logo that goes with ubuntu on a plain white t-shirt, because i think the general design is way cool, that or the ubuntu studio logo, no ubuntu, just that logo man ;). Or even better a glow in the dark crop circle type ubuntu design would be well rad man. =)

- Dan

Jesus_Valdez
June 1st, 2010, 03:29 AM
I just order the Ubuntu bag from the ubuntu store and I've been looking in the Linux.com store and other places for a T-shirt or something more "linux general" but nothing convinces me.

I would buy an Arch Linux T-shirt, I don't use it but I think it would be cool and "Star Trek-esque".

EDIT. Also, some form of "classy" liquid transportation system. 24 oz because that's the size of my beers.

chickengirl
June 1st, 2010, 03:55 AM
Where's the poll option for "I already have bought Tux merchandise"? :p

I have a sweatshirt with Tux on the chest.

Omnios
June 1st, 2010, 04:03 AM
http://witko.ca/image-shack/tux/tux-tux-linux.PNG

What do you guys think of this its kind of a simple tux with small lettering

Omnios
June 1st, 2010, 04:14 PM
What do you guys think of this
http://witko.ca/image-shack/tux/crystal-tux-linux-mens.jpg

There is a Tux swag shop listed in cafe market place. Prices are pretty good compared to others.

sanderella
June 1st, 2010, 04:53 PM
I didn't vote because I already have a Ubuntu Tshirt, a toy Tux and a jumper with Tux on what I knitted myself. Click on my web page below to see the pic.

whiskeylover
June 1st, 2010, 05:03 PM
I didn't vote because I already have a Ubuntu Tshirt, a toy Tux and a jumper with Tux on what I knitted myself. Click on my web page below to see the pic.

No offense but that is too big/ugly for a tshirt.

graabein
June 1st, 2010, 06:13 PM
http://www.gnu.org/help/help.html

Omnios
June 2nd, 2010, 12:56 AM
Linux inside t-shirts and mug
http://witko.ca/image-shack/tux/linux-inside-mens.jpg
http://witko.ca/image-shack/tux/linux-inside-mug.jpg

eksasol
June 2nd, 2010, 01:29 AM
I was looking to buy a Tux sticker for my car.

Omnios
June 2nd, 2010, 04:18 AM
Weird my swag shop was closed because of settings but allowed me to see it because I was logged into my account. Anyways it is now open to the public. Its listed in the cafe market place. I would really like to know what people think of my shirt designs I have posted so far feedback would be appreciated and has been helpful so far. Thanks.

Omnios
June 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
Crystal Tux G2 with linux inside logo on chest in blue

http://witko.ca/image-shack/tux/linux-inside-blue.jpg

Omnios
June 8th, 2010, 02:09 AM
What do you guys think of t-shirts with the tux char with a fly satter going to swat the butterfly with nice Linux lettering vertically to one side?

beercz
June 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I didn't vote either, I have a tux already.

Bachstelze
June 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM
No. I own a couple Puffy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBSD) shirts and posters, though...

Breambutt
June 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Wee. I bought a Tux shirt somewhere in the mid-late 90's when I was using Slackware 3.5 (I think).

A coffee mug would be magnificent though, but I wouldn't want to dip a penguin in caffeine.

JDShu
June 8th, 2010, 02:37 PM
A penguin eating an apple.

A penguin whistling, bat in hand, looking at the sky. Broken window in background, baseball on ground.

Holy... did you think of those yourself? Those are awesome ideas!

I would probably buy a penguin plushie or small penguin figure to clip onto my bag.

Breambutt
June 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I'm so glad someone thought of a penguin mascot even though it makes little sense (as if a window or an apple do). Maybe I'm weird, but I've always had a thing for penguins. Even "supported" the Pittsburgh Penguins when I was a kid, still own a penguin beanbag and http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10036000/10036435.jpg on my wall. And a few dozen other penguin effigies. 8D

Omnios
June 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Need more ideas for t-shirts so far working on tux buttfly killer and want to design a few others. Going to play with contrast and stuff to make a classic tux image that looks real good. Anyone have links to interesting pics. My swag shop is going to be a lot of tux linux artwork so the stuff I have now is just for starters.

Timmer1240
June 12th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I want to get an Ubuntu hat!I love Karmic Koala next year Im gonna give lucid lynx a try!For now Im gonna leave it alone the karmics really running great!

Groucho Marxist
June 12th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Starting a discussion about tux and linux merchandise and wondering if people would buy a tux, tux linux, Linux branded t-shirt or other merchandise online. I am also wondering what kind of product you would buy. For example zazzle has cheap t-shirts but they look like thin cheese cloth you can see the persons skin under the shirt on cheap shits. What kind of merchandise would you like if you where going to buy something. Also there is normal like t-shirts guidien and high end like Aeostatle and American apperel which are pricy shirts but very high quality.

This is kind of research for me as I am on a disability and running a small tux linux shop with a post in marketplace and am wondering what people would like.

I am a broadcast salesman and what I would really enjoy is a professionally-designed and manufactured men's business tie. A few months ago, I purchased an Ubuntu lapel pin to show my support for Linux and would be most appreciative if I could complete the look with said Linux tie.

Omnios
June 13th, 2010, 04:47 AM
http://witko.ca/image-shack/tux/tux-inside.jpg

New Design I just finished

Omnios
June 13th, 2010, 07:06 PM
New Design I am working on nore sure about the color of the lettering but black was to black. What do you guys think, any suggestions?
http://witko.ca/image-shack/tux/anarchy-tux-linux-web-pic.PNG

Omnios
June 14th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Found another t-shirt supplier with better pricing right now have a tux inside shirt at $17.84 which is pretty good. I expect much better pricing than the old store I had listed in the cafe market place as darks are much cheaper with the new supplier.

That brings me to question pricing as in how much would you be willing to pay for a linux shirt? Keep in mind dark colors like black are more expencive to print than plain white shirts without printing white as most DTG light colored shirts do not print white on white but my new supplier does.

Omnios
June 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM
K this is neat got a discount code from my supplier

You can use coupon code PF5OFF input on checkout from today until June 23.
Save $5 on $25 purchase. This really brings down the price of dark shirts.
Store is listed in cafe marketplace.

What do you guys think of discount codes like this as I should be getting them alot.

Mr. Hibba
June 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Sorry, I'm a bit late for the poll.

I have already purchased a Linux stein. It was just one of those "gotta-have-that" things.

Mr. Hibba.

Mr. Hibba
June 16th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Also, this thread reminded me... there is a Ty Beanie plush doll that is named Tux and is a penguin... and on its tag, it supposedly lists the word "gown." Wasn't "Gown" the name of a female penguin in a Linux game? Quest for the Herring or something?

Mr. Hibba.

HappinessNow
June 16th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I would Not buy a Linux T-Shirt, I would how ever give a donation for a T-Shirt. ;-)

Omnios
June 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM
What about the quality of the shirt they are printed on. Found a supplier that has the following t-shirts

: Alstyle Apparel 1301- Men's T-Shirt
: American Apparel 2001 - Men's Fine Jersey Short Sleeve T-Shirt
: Coal HarbourŪ S820- Men's Short Sleeve Contrast Stitch Tee

I have a store with these shirts so far and pricing is real good for the quality of shirts.

I have a hole load of Alstyle Apparel 1301- Men's T-Shirt that I bought last fall and really like them as they are soft, fit well and are very high quality at an affordable price. They are made in North America.
Some pics and info is here
http://www.alstyle.com/SkuDetailImage.aspx

American Apparel is made in the USA and is one of the softest high designer quality shirt avialable.
Fine Jersey
Short Sleeve T-ShirtThe softest, smoothest, best-looking T-shirt available anywhere.

http://americanapparel.net/wholesaleresources/ExpressOrder/Catalog/Product.aspx?s=2001&cid=5&w=0

Coal HarbourŪ S820- Men's Short Sleeve Contrast Stitch Tee
is a very high end shirt with stiching and looks real nice.

They also have Bella for woman.

These are the high end shirts of the screen printing and DTG industry. Supprisingly the pricing for these shirts is real good with my second store supplier and you can get a better quality shirt for comparable lower end prices from other stores.

The other store does have some nice high end shirts but the basic t-shirt is on Heavyweight and high-quality, Gildan UltraCotton tee.

You can check out the store listing in the Ubuntu Forum Community Marketplace.
Link to marketplace section on Ubuntu forum
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38

I have been studying screen printing and the T-shirt idustry for about a year now and there is are huge differences in the quality fit and feel of shirt. Higher end shirts tend to be softer to the touch and fit better and pricewise there is not a huge difference compared to the increase in quality.

Crunchy the Headcrab
June 17th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I would love to have some Linux, Tux, or Ubuntu gear. I'm afraid my wife would get pretty upset if I bought some though.

Omnios
June 18th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Got a new shop up listed on my posting cafe marketplace.
Wondering how much you would be willing to pay for a t-shirt though.
Been researching this for a while now and most other web stores have high pricing $28 to $30 plus for basic dark colored shirts. I managed to find a supplier with really good pricing $19.99 for basic hanes tagless even dark colored shirts, $21.99 for AAA Alstyle, $25.99 for American Apparel. Usually these shirts are pricced and $30 plus. These are really high quality shirts. There are some real good deals compared to other stores. Also got a promo code listed that will save 15% off.

What would you be willing to pay for a Tux Linux Shirt, and do you think the pricing listed above is reasonable.

angry_johnnie
June 18th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I already own Ubuntu stuff.

I would like something more generic: more linux and less ubuntu.

Omnios
June 19th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I already own Ubuntu stuff.

I would like something more generic: more linux and less ubuntu.

What kind of stuff like tux?

Thinking of designing some tux shirts with things like I love root, I have super cow powers etc

cprofitt
June 19th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I already own a Tux, Linux T-Shirt and several other Linux related items.

melissajoan
June 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM
zazzle has cheap t-shirts but they look like thin cheese cloth you can see the persons skin under the shirt on cheap shits. What kind of merchandise would you like if you where going to buy something. Also there is normal like t-shirts guidien and high end like Aeostatle and American apperel which are pricy shirts but very high quality.

Cheap Wholesale T-shirts (http://www.baiyokefactory.com)

angry_johnnie
June 20th, 2010, 10:00 PM
What kind of stuff like tux?

Thinking of designing some tux shirts with things like I love root, I have super cow powers etc

I'd like a 'supercow' shirt :p

and yes, tux is a good idea.