PDA

View Full Version : Some people just don't know what they are missing not using Ubuntu...

The Flying Penguin
May 27th, 2010, 08:20 PM
So I hopped on my sisters laptop today just to see what her system's state of affairs are.

All I can say is wow! She is running XP SP2 with automatic updates turned off and no anti-virus or spyware software. :( To top it all off I took a look through her programs and she has IRS software installed. She did her taxes on a totally unprotected and out of date machine. Amazingly, she only has 25 processes running lol.

I had a talk with her about it and she gave me permission to reinstall XP and get her securely set up but she will not even let me explain a thing about Ubuntu. She wouldn't even let me get out that its incredibly secure. She just cuts me off and says "I just want what I've been using".

I wanted to at least get her a dual boot setup going but she won't allow it. The ONLY thing she needs XP for is playing The Sims 2. Other than The Sims 2, all she uses her laptop for is internet & email, word processing, and iTunes for her Ipod. Ubuntu can do all of that for her perfectly. She is annoyed because the HP printer software she has keeps popping up and bothering her. All I did with Ubuntu was plug in my HP printer and start printing.

Maybe I should just install Ubuntu on a second partition for her anyway. If she gets mad and refuses to even try it I can just delete the partition. She has tons of space to spare.

This is especially frustrating since I am the family's go to guy when computer problems arise.

Sorry to ramble. I just don't get it. It's just one of those situations where its the right thing for her. She needs an OS that will protect her since she won't do it herself. I guess, time to reinstall XP for someone AGAIN. I just don't feel comfortable letting her use her current installation after being exposed for so long.

Anyone share my frustration?

EDIT: Just to clear up I am only joking about installing Ubuntu against her wishes. Some people seem to have taken me a little too seriously. I wouldn't do that. That is certainly NOT the way to convert someone lol.

RiceMonster
May 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM
People don't always share the same interests as you, so let her use what she wants. Some people just want to use what they're comfortable with. Deal with it.

DO NOT install Ubuntu on her computer without permission. How would you like it if someone came and reconfigured something you own without your permission?

WinterRain
May 27th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I feel ya, but I would tell her that if she wants me to fix her computer from now on, it either has ubuntu on it, or take it elsewhere. I don't feel sorry for people anymore. Some people should be allowed to wallow in their own ignorance.

wojox
May 27th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I always use to run XP with no anti-virus or spyware protection. No big deal. As long as you stay away from the seedy under belly of the internet your fine.

AcidMoon
May 27th, 2010, 08:35 PM
People don't always share the same interests as you, so let her use what she wants.
+1

To OP. Here is a great link for securing XP http://www.hellboundhackers.org/articles/767-Windows-XP-Pro-Security:-The-Essentials.html :)

CrimsonBizarre
May 27th, 2010, 08:39 PM
It's her computer, let her use it how she wants.

dtfinch
May 27th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I can't remember the last time I had to reinstall XP. It's usually a lot easier to just fix the problems, unless you think it has a rootkit.

WinterRain
May 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I can't remember the last time I had to reinstall XP. It's usually a lot easier to just fix the problems, unless you think it has a rootkit.

I disagree. As long as they don't have tons of stuff to back up, I can do a clean install in an hour or less, and they are guaranteed to have a like new system.

Giant Speck
May 27th, 2010, 08:49 PM
You should totally install Ubuntu on her computer. Wipe out all her files, preferences, bookmarks, music, pictures, and put some FREEDOM on her PC!

AcidMoon
May 27th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I disagree. As long as they don't have tons of stuff to back up, I can do a clean install in an hour or less, and they are guaranteed to have a like new system.
+1
I used to do it so often with an old laptop I began to really enjoy that "just installed" feeling. But I suppose it's one of those things where the more you do it the more used you are too it and therefore comfortable etc ;-)

CharlesA
May 27th, 2010, 08:53 PM
People don't always share the same interests as you, so let her use what she wants. Some people just want to use what they're comfortable with. Deal with it.

DO NOT install Ubuntu on her computer without permission. How would you like it if someone came and reconfigured something you own without your permission?

+1. I'd be pissed if someone reconfigured my machine without asking me first.

I always use to run XP with no anti-virus or spyware protection. No big deal. As long as you stay away from the seedy under belly of the internet your fine.

+2. As long as you are smart and don't go to dodgy sites, you are fairly safe. 25 processes is not that bad on an XP machine. My work pc has 39 running processes. o_O

It's her computer, let her use it how she wants.

+3.

The main install of XP takes around 40 minutes or so, the problem you run into is when you need to find the drivers. :(

donkyhotay
May 27th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Some people like running the risk of having their identity stolen or computer used as zombie, not much you can do about it.

schauerlich
May 27th, 2010, 08:55 PM
You should totally install Ubuntu on her computer. Wipe out all her files, preferences, bookmarks, music, pictures, and put some FREEDOM on her PC!

Must I remind you of the preferred ten and toner in this forum?

KiwiNZ
May 27th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Must I remind you of the preferred ten and toner in this forum?

No its the Ten Tenors of this forum :P

rottentree
May 27th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Try to help her not force her.
Either tell her that you don't know Windows too well or get proficient with it so you can help her(set the os up better or give her tips).
I'm just wondering what the hell is she doing which breaks her computer?

AcidMoon
May 27th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Now that was funny hehe!!!=D>

WinterRain
May 27th, 2010, 09:04 PM
The main install of XP takes around 40 minutes or so, the problem you run into is when you need to find the drivers. :(

I went to driverpacks.net and burned the driver cd's. They have about 95% of all drivers needed for xp. Easy.

Random_Dude
May 27th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Just install XP on it and let her be (at least isn't Vista).

People won't start using Linux if you force them.
I wasn't forced, I just had a great interest in Open-Source software as a philosophy and decided to make myself a challenge "How long could I hold on without using Windows?". If it weren't for Office I would still be counting. Although, I've learned a lot about Linux, especially that I can do more things on it than I think I could. ;)

If you don't have much interest in computers I don't think Linux is right for you. I've only started using it more and more because I had the patience to look for the anwsers and to ask around in this forum.

Cheers :cool:

cpplinux
May 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM
She did her taxes on ...

That is one reason I have to keep Windows. No tax software for Linux.

mihai.ile
May 27th, 2010, 09:15 PM
The best you could do is clean up that XP (registgry, startup apps), install updates and an antivirus/firewall, defragment the drive. It will make a great experience over what she has and will be very happy.
Ubuntu is not for everyone you know...

Simian Man
May 27th, 2010, 09:15 PM
The ONLY thing she needs XP for is playing The Sims 2. Other than The Sims 2, all she uses her laptop for is internet & email, word processing, and iTunes for her Ipod. Ubuntu can do all of that for her perfectly.

If there's only one thing she can't do with Linux that she can with Windows, why would she switch? Your greatly exaggerated claims of Windows insecurity won't do it. And there is no Linux program that does everything iTunes does, nor any word processor that does all that Word does (assuming that's what she has).

And like everybody else said, don't mess with other people's property.

pwnst*r
May 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Just install XP on it and let her be (at least isn't Vista).

Except that there's nothing wrong with Vista.

RM +1
GiantSpeck, lol

Random_Dude
May 27th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Except that there's nothing wrong with Vista.

Besides being slow, not talking about security. ;)

chessnerd
May 27th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Make sure you not only turn on automatic updates, but also update that to Service Pack 3. SP2 loses support on July 14th, so after that Automatic Update won't keep her updated.

I understand this. I have set up a dual-boot of Windows and Linux on both machines I have downstairs, but my sisters both continue to boot into Windows because they feel like Windows works better for their Facebook games (which is probably the case due to poor Flash support in Linux).

You can't force Ubuntu upon someone. Just throw it out as an option every now and then and, if they want it, they will let you know. If they know that it exists, they know more than most people...

pwnst*r
May 27th, 2010, 09:33 PM
It's not slow either.

The Flying Penguin
May 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hehe, I was just joking about installing Ubuntu against her wishes. I think some of you took me a little too seriously when I said that. Perhaps I wasn't clear that I was only saying that in jest.

It's just a little frustrating that she won't even listen to the reasons why she should switch. She doesn't even want to hear it. It is her decision to keep using XP but I just wish she was making an informed decision.

She can't keep using XP forever though. Once MS drops support she will have to switch to a new OS and a new interface. Maybe then once she has to learn something new she will give Ubuntu a shot.

Don't get me wrong, Linux is not for everyone and I don't want to push it on anyone. There are various reasons why someone may be better off with Windows or even OSX. I just feel that in her case Linux is right for her but I could be wrong. She just won't even sit down and have a conversation about it. I guess thats what I'm more frustrated with than anything. :(

I missed out on an opportunity though. She went on a week long trip and didn't take her laptop because the battery is shot so she didn't think it was worth the effort of lugging her giant behemoth around with her. I should have given her my convertible to take with. It has Ubuntu, so she could have had some time to get acquainted with it.

Perhaps this is just more of a fear of the unknown than anything.

That is one reason I have to keep Windows. No tax software for Linux.
Yeah, thats true. She would have XP though for playing the Sims 2 so she would be covered.

And there is no Linux program that does everything iTunes does, nor any word processor that does all that Word does (assuming that's what she has).
That's true but all she uses iTunes for is to put music on her Ipod which I know other programs will do like Amarok. And as far as word processing, she isn't working in a corporate environment where she needs the advanced features of Word. For the average home user (which is what she is) Open Office is more than sufficient.

WinterRain
May 27th, 2010, 09:42 PM
If it weren't for Office I would still be counting.

Office 2003 works with wine. Word/Excel 2007 also work with wine.

schauerlich
May 27th, 2010, 09:43 PM
No its the Ten Tenors of this forum :P

Those ten tenors have a ton of tone. :)

Random_Dude
May 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM
It's not slow either.

It's slower than XP.

It depends a lot on the machine. On my laptop it runned fine, but in some of my friends' computers it was just unbearable (and no, the PCs had fresh installs, they weren't full of crap).

blur xc
May 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM
It's not slow either.

Fast and slow are relative terms. Compared to something faster, it is slow, and vice versa...

If it's fast enough for you- great, knock yourself out, but to others with more demanding needs, or on older hardware, it is slow to them.

To the OP- I can relate to your pain. What most people are missing here is - you are her IT support. Her stubbornness is making YOUR life harder. I'm really glad my wife was open to giving Ubuntu a whirl when I built our new pc. Some things she still likes better in Windows (outlook vs. evolution, for one example), but overall she understands the benefits. She is, after all, the primary computer user in the house. Ironically, because I'm at work for 8hrs a day, I use Windows (at least now its Win7, which is pretty nice) for about 90% of my computing time.

BM

pwnst*r
May 27th, 2010, 09:46 PM
yes, they are relative, but it's every bit as good as XP and better, IMO.

Random_Dude
May 27th, 2010, 09:46 PM

I've got Office 2007 on wine and it works, but not 100%. There are features which are important to me (like putting formulas on Word) that when I try to do, the program crashes. :(

NightwishFan
May 27th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I do not support Windows often, but I do help with it. I only offer an open source operating system as a suggestion when it is brought up by them. Or a demo to someone I know might appreciate it.

There is no way I would use Word, especially the new one.

WinterRain
May 27th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I've got Office 2007 on wine and it works, but not 100%. There are features which are important to me (like putting formulas on Word) that when I try to do, the program crashes. :(

2003 doesn't cut it for you?

The Flying Penguin
May 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM

Personally, I have ditched Word and Excel in favor of the Open Office alternatives. I own my own business though and am still dependent on Publisher 2007. I just run that in VirtualBox. Works great for me.

mihai.ile
May 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM
When I really need it, I use XP inside the virtual box.

EDID: actually right now I use Virtual box to boot up xp, to enter on work vpn, to do a remote login to the XP pc at the office to get work done :D:D:D

98cwitr
May 27th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Sims 2 wont run in WINE or Steam or PLayonLinux?

The Flying Penguin
May 27th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Sims 2 wont run in WINE or Steam or PLayonLinux?

Well, on the Wine apps page, The Sims 2 is listed as garbage. Maybe it will run on newer versions though. I'm not sure.

It seems Sims 3 will work in Wine though which is good news for me since I play it from time to time and have been booting into Win7 to do so. Getting it setup in Wine is on my to do list.

Random_Dude
May 27th, 2010, 10:13 PM
2003 doesn't cut it for you?

I do a lot of powerpoint presentations and sometimes use more complex layouts on word. All my colleges have 2007 so I just use it to be 100% compatible with them. It was a bit strange at the beginning, but once you get used to it, it's not bad.

Cheers :cool: