PDA

View Full Version : If you couldn't use Linux, what would you use?

chessnerd
May 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Let's say that, for whatever reason, the Linux kernel gets locked up. Some lawsuit or some catastrophe makes it so that Linux is no longer able to be used and you need to find another operating system.

What would you do? Which OS would you use?

I'd probably go back to Windows at first. I might dual-boot with BSD on my desktop to try that out, but in the wake of such an event Windows would be my first replacement.

gastly
May 27th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Windows for sure, don't hate me coz I said that lol.
Mac's to expensive and I hate apple and I haven't ever tried others, so :P

louis--taylor
May 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I would use a unix type operating system. BSD would be my first choice.

LowSky
May 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I would use Linux. A lawsuit in one country wont ban a product worldwide.

chessnerd
May 27th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I would use Linux. A lawsuit in one country wont ban a product worldwide.

Well, maybe it isn't a lawsuit. Maybe it is the discovery of a fundamental flaw in the kernel that makes all Linux-based systems completely unsecured. Now that everyone knows, and there is no quick fix, it will be out of commission for a few years while the kernel is completely re-written.

The idea is that "something" happens. What would you use instead?

In other words: what is your fall-back/secondary OS?

PaulW2U
May 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I have four PCs/laptops each with a different OS. I'd use Windows XP/Vista/7 initially while I looked for alternatives. BSD perhaps?

iponeverything
May 27th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Well, maybe it isn't a lawsuit. Maybe it is the discovery of a fundamental flaw in the kernel that makes all Linux-based systems completely unsecured. Now that everyone knows, and there is no quick fix, it will be out of commission for a few years while the kernel is completely re-written.

It's far-fetched. I would accept the likelihood that Microsoft sent a terminator from the future first..

chessnerd
May 27th, 2010, 06:20 PM
It's far-fetched. I would accept the likelihood that Microsoft sent a terminator from the future first..

I'm not saying it's likely. However, it is possible. Microsoft discovered critical networking flaws in Windows 2000 last September that would require a complete re-working of the operating system in order to fix. They aren't going to fix it because Windows 2000 loses support in July. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000#Unpatched_critical_flaws) Such an issue could be lying hidden within the kernel and might take weeks or months to fix once discovered, just as in Windows 2000 (which was a pretty solid, NT-based OS in it's hay-day).

However, sure, let's say that Microsoft, in 2045, sends back a "terminator" in the form of an unstoppable rootkit that cripples every Linux-based system.

RiceMonster
May 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM
RiceMonsterOS

iponeverything
May 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
RiceMonsterOS

What are the hardware requirements ;)

varunendra
May 27th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I'll become Torvalds & create my own.

Is it some kind of terrorist threat or somethin'? I've already started trembling. No more scary jokes please! My heart's too weak to bear that:(

RiceMonster
May 27th, 2010, 06:29 PM
What are the hardware requirements ;)

Minimum requirements (you're computer must be at least this awesome to ride RiceMonsterOS):
1 TB RAM
9001 TB harddrive space
64-core 400GHz 128 bit CPU
Super Ultra Graphics card with at least 5GB video RAM

iponeverything
May 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Which will be needed for the full 6 dimensional RiceMonster experience :)

Barrucadu
May 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I voted for GNU Hurd, which I'd use on my desktop, (of course, I'd use Arch Hurd) but, because of hardware issues (like, no USB or sound), I'd have to dual-boot with BSD. Unfortunately using the Hurd as your sole OS isn't feasible yet :(

My server would undoubtably run some flavour of BSD — I like my sound system to have sound support :P.

chessnerd
May 27th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I'll become Torvalds & create my own.

Is it some kind of terrorist threat or somethin'? I've already started trembling. No more scary jokes please! My heart's too weak to bear that:(

Fear not. The odds of this happening are so small that I would call it 0. This is a purely hypothetical situation.

It's like planning for a zombie uprising; it's just for fun. Do you have your crowbar ready? And your towel? (wait, wrong franchise...)

eriktheblu
May 27th, 2010, 06:38 PM
FreeDOS

angry_johnnie
May 27th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I'd probably go to BSD. It's been tempting me for some time anyway. :p

chessnerd
May 27th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I voted for GNU Hurd, which I'd use on my desktop, (of course, I'd use Arch Hurd) but, because of hardware issues (like, no USB or sound), I'd have to dual-boot with BSD. Unfortunately using the Hurd as your sole OS isn't feasible yet :(

My server would undoubtably run some flavour of BSD — I like my sound system to have sound support :P.
I figured someone would say they'd go to Hurd, despite the lack of support.

The one upside of Linux dying would be that Hurd, BSD, OpenSolaris, Haiku, and such would all get more development. The downside is a world without Linux.

It's like saying. "John, the good news is you'll get to spend more time with your children. The bad news is, you're losing your job..."

donkyhotay
May 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Probably BSD, whatever the biggest FOSS OS happened to be since it would have the most developers. Definitely wouldn't go back to windows or anything else proprietary.

infestor
May 27th, 2010, 06:51 PM
OpenSolaris....

McRat
May 27th, 2010, 06:51 PM
uWorkOS 3.0:

When you click on GAMES: It points you to Amazon.com's listing for WII, PS3, and X360.

When you click on TV: It prints out a map to your house with X's where the televisions are located.

When you click on Music: It lists all the radio stations in your area, and how to work a radio tuner.

When you click on EXCEL: A barrel comes up, aims at Redmond Washington, and fires the stupid talking paper clip into Ballmer's eye.

When you click on WORD: It moves the buttons so that they line up with the rest of Microsoft's products.

When you click on CAD: It unload all the crap out of memory, shuts off all stupid A/V pop-ups, and saves a memory image every 5 minutes (for crash recovery).

When you hit BROWSER: It automatically sends hatemail to all links in PopUp ads, and does a DOS attack on any Malware site it sees in the background.

When you click on ScreenSaver: It checks if it's working hours. If it is, it sends you a message that screen burn in stopped being an issue when LCD's came into vogue. You will upgrade before it becomes an issue.

RiceMonster
May 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Which will be needed for the full 6 dimensional RiceMonster experience :)

Or 7 dimensional, if you have the hardware.

iponeverything
May 27th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Or 7 dimensional, if you have the hardware.

RiceMonsterOS
Infinate Awesomenimity

wojox
May 27th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Minimum requirements (you're computer must be at least this awesome to ride RiceMonsterOS):
1 TB RAM
9001 TB harddrive space

I hope RiceMonsterOS ships for free, because after spending that much money of hardware I would barely be able to afford much else. :P

toallpointswest
May 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I'd go find a copy of OS/2 Warp 4 and break it in!

Frogs Hair
May 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Other , research required .

chessnerd
May 27th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I'd go find a copy of OS/2 Warp 4 and break it in!

At first I thought you had to be kidding (and I'm guessing you are) but that idea isn't as crazy as I would have thought.

Firefox 3.5 works in OS/2 Warp 4, and it's most recent release was just 8 years ago (4.52) so it's in line with Windows 2000/XP in terms of age. However, I'd probably recommend Microsoft's newer "Windows NT" line over OS/2. It offers a lot of new features and is probably Microsoft's best and most stable operating system core to date. It's definitely an improvement over DOS/9x and OS/2. :)

If not that, then BSD. OS/2's windowing system is similar to X11, and it uses some of BSD's networking protocols.

undecim
May 27th, 2010, 10:02 PM
BSD, but wireless and video compatability would become a nightmare again... I suppose there would be some serious work on BSD compatability, since that's where a lost Linux users will migrate to.

Although the whole point is moot. There's no way that Linux can fall like that.

capnthommo
May 27th, 2010, 10:20 PM
well folks, i'm afraid i would have to go back to the old pencil and paper(tm) o/s
cheers
capn t

Redundant Username
May 27th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I'd use Windows or BSD.

forrestcupp
May 28th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't touch Open Solaris with a ten foot pole now that Oracle owns them.

1 TB RAM
9001 TB harddrive space

128 bit CPU? Pshhh! I have a 512 bit CPU.

Hman242
May 28th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I would probably give HURD a go.

jerenept
May 28th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Haiku-An Open Source OS based on BeOS!
Definitely Haiku... The only reason I dont use it is because It is still in alpha stage.
When it becomes more stable i will definitely be dual-booting with Ubuntu.

Eisenwinter
May 28th, 2010, 03:13 AM
RiceMonsterOS
Woah, I can't believe someone else would also use that in such an event!

handy
May 28th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I'm planning on using Haiku on No.2 box, when it sorts out a couple of bugs that are holding me back.

It could potentially end up being my choice as the sole operating system I use as the years go by. Time will tell.

AcidMoon
May 28th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I'm glad lots of people are saying BSD. That would be my choice for a *nix experience again. Some might worry about the installation but you could practice that in VirtualBox!

gashcr
May 28th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Actually, would use Haiku, if it was more mature. Right now I'd go to BSD, as many developers would surely head that way

kostkon
May 28th, 2010, 03:40 AM
cp/m

Little Bones
May 28th, 2010, 04:03 AM
As much as I dislike Windows, Mac's are very overpriced so I'll go with Windows 7 until Google Chrome OS comes out!

witeshark17
May 28th, 2010, 04:17 AM
In the event from the OP, I'd go with OS X :popcorn:

chessnerd
May 28th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I wouldn't touch OpenSolaris with a ten foot pole now that Oracle owns them.
Yeah. I can understand this. It seems like every time a giant companies takes control of a moderate sized company all quality control goes out the window. I fear for Java as well.

As much as I dislike Windows, Mac's are very overpriced so I'll go with Windows 7 until Google Chrome OS comes out!
Technically speaking, Chrome OS is Linux based itself. Android is also based on Linux. In fact, a lot of Google stuff uses Linux directly or indirectly. Google would be crippled if something happens to Linux...

CPPCrispy
May 28th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I would fall back to Windows, at first, since I already dual boot it. Then I would go in search for something else.

This thread got me thinking and I just started downloading FreeBSD to try in Virtual Box.

Hope nothing ever happens to Linux.

lostinxlation
May 28th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I always keep Windows no matter what, since I never know when I need it.. As a replacement of Linux, I have never used *BSD so I'd probably go with OpenSolaris.

Khakilang
May 28th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I will go to Open Solaris and maybe give FreeBSD a try to see which is better and than only I stick to one.

nerdtron
May 28th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Windows would be my fallback if i won't be able to use Linux.
Or OSX if i have the budget.

But i would really consider using this if something bad happens to Linux. :)

RiceMonsterOS

bigseb
May 28th, 2010, 07:56 AM
First port of call would be Windows. And only for business reasons... gotta make money after all

After that I'd definitely look around. There's bound to be an alternative.

2cute4u
May 28th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Well for me it's a no brainer, my main system is OS X. All I'll loose on it is my ubiuntu VM. Of course my old HP won't run Mac OS X so if I can't run linux on it, I guess I'd try some other operating system. I don't think it can handle OpenSolaris, but maybe one of the BSD's

julio_cortez
May 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'd just go back where I came from: Windows 24/7.

ilovelinux33467
May 28th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Of course FreeBSD because that is my favourite operating system after GNU/Linux because its Unix :) . Its really really stable and really really secure.

BrokenKingpin
May 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I would use Windows, but I would also try out OpenSolaris and BSD to see if either would meet my needs.

I would choose not to use a computer at all over using a Mac.

jerrrys
May 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
hows the coffee lovinglinux :)

chessnerd
May 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I would choose not to use a computer at all over using a Mac.

Oh, man. That's a tough choice.

Using a Mac or no computers at all...

Giving Steve Jobs my money or giving up computing...

I'll write my own OS before it comes to that. Where's that C manual?

varunendra
June 1st, 2010, 08:27 AM
U go to sleep while I search the manual for u. :popcorn: