PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Make the chunky interface smaller/funkier?

makaveli789
May 27th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hi guys,

Been using Ubuntu 9.04 for a while now but I've always felt that the interface is too chunky. The buttons, text, dialogs are waaaay too big. Is there any good solution to reducing the size of everything, including dialogs and buttons. So far, I have been dropping the DPI with mixed results. It mostly affects fonts so it hasn't fully met my needs.

Hence, I am posting on here to see how other people manage the chuny-ness of Ubuntu. Have you just gotten used to it? Have you got your own workaround? Have you converted to kUbuntu!?

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions.

niandreins
May 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Well, I suggest you to see gnome-look and search for a theme that fits your needs.

Also will be good to install the MS Fonts in Ubuntu to have more choices. Then open System-Preferences-Appearance and go to the Fonts tab. There you'll be able to change fonts faces and types; and clicking in Details you'll be able to change the font's DPI. 96 is a good number, but to make the OS look more like MacOS I've changed it to 100. Using a smaller number may look better for you instead. Try 90 or 85 to see if it fits your needs.

If you found a good theme in Gnome-Look post it here!

Best!

n.

makaveli789
May 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Good idea niandreins. For some reason I didn't even consider using a theme. I had a quick look and there is some interesting themes on there (if arranged by rating). It's actually my work computer and I am at home right now. I will try installing one tomorrow and see how it goes.

If someone has any other suggestion in the meantime then please share.