PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Questions about customizing my DE

Sudzinsky
May 27th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hello everyone, I have some questions I'm hoping to get some advice on.
I'm not new to Linux or Ubuntu though my knowledge when it comes to working out customizations is novice.

I really want to customize my lucid system so that it's very lightweight, snappy, and fast. I'm pretty much lost when it comes to how to go about this because of my lack of DE & WM knowledge.

I've just recently tried a base cli system install and then installed the core xorg packages with the LXDE packages...
It's clean, fast, and runs great, however...I really really like packages like Guake, and Menu editor, and the Software Center, etc...If I'm understanding all this correctly, those packages require gnome libraries, which most rely on the gnome core libraries..So if I want to run those I essentially have to install gnome anyway..Is that a correct assumption??

If that is the case, then that brings me to two more questions..Could I achieve similar or relatively close performance installing a cli base system and xorg / gnome core (then installing the individual packages from there that I want)?
Besides time, is there much difference installing a base cli system and installing only the packages I want, than just installing the standard image and then removing all the extra junk?

jerrrys
May 27th, 2010, 03:46 PM
theres a ton of things you can do, here's a start...

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=customizing+desktop&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en#847

Sudzinsky
May 27th, 2010, 04:01 PM
theres a ton of things you can do, here's a start...

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=customizing+desktop&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en#847

Thanks for the link..I've actually ran that exact search and the reason I decided to start a thread is because like your search, most of what I kept finding is a couple or more years old and I'd like to get more recent advice regarding Lucid.

I am still searching forums and the net..just thought I'd ask around and see if what people thought.