PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] X server issue

Sam3280
May 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Hi,
When trying to boot my laptop with 8.04 WUBI install I get an error message that says the following

"Could not starr the X server (your graphical environment) due to some internal error. Please contact your system administrator or check your syslog to diagnose. In the meantime this display will be disabled. Please restart GDM when the problem is corrected."

I am relatively competent with linux but I need help with this, Thanks

WinRiddance
May 27th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Hi,
When trying to boot my laptop with 8.04 WUBI install I get an error message that says the following

"Could not starr the X server (your graphical environment) due to some internal error. Please contact your system administrator or check your syslog to diagnose. In the meantime this display will be disabled. Please restart GDM when the problem is corrected."

I am relatively competent with linux but I need help with this, Thanks

Hmmmm, I thought the Xserver and xorg.conf were no longer being used by Ubuntu as of version 9.10 Karmic Koala? If you're trying to install version 9.10 or 10.04 from within an existing version 8.04 then that might very well be your problem. You might just have to back up your home/user folder to another partition or a USB stick and then do a clean installation with a LiveCD instead.

Sam3280
May 28th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks but I only need to get in to copy files I want. I have tried everything els to get the files with a live cd etc but nopthing has worked I was hoping to be able to fix this