PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] (Ubuntu 10.04 - Windows vista premium on HP pavilion desktop) I reistall my windows,

user899
May 27th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Hi, I had Windows vista premium on HP pavilion desktop. I split disk for ubuntu and make also swap disk part and then i install ubuntu 10.04. To the enterence of my computer after installation i have menu that i can to choose between windows or ubuntu. Today I reistall my windows, but choose menu disapear. I dont see in windows the rdisk part that I give to Ubuntu, soo its mean ubuntu still exist but i cant enter to him.
Please help me,
Thanks

dv3500ea
May 27th, 2010, 11:43 AM
It seems that Windows Vista has installed its own boot loader.
You need to somehow reinstall the grub boot loader.
The easiest way to do this would be to reinstall ubuntu.
Alternatively you could try looking on this website:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

WinRiddance
May 27th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Hi, I had Windows vista premium on HP pavilion desktop. I split disk for ubuntu and make also swap disk part and then i install ubuntu 10.04. To the enterence of my computer after installation i have menu that i can to choose between windows or ubuntu. Today I reistall my windows, but choose menu disapear. I dont see in windows the rdisk part that I give to Ubuntu, soo its mean ubuntu still exist but i cant enter to him.
Please help me,
Thanks

Never thought that I'd be the one to say this, but Linux is not Windows. In other words, just because Linux allows you to recognize, view, and use all partitions, even Windows partitions ... and just because Linux is nice enough to provide you with a user friendly choice of which OS you can use ... doesn't mean that windows will do that for you too ...

As a matter of fact, Windows is nowhere near as friendly since Microsoft is not thrilled at all by people using anything other than Microsoft products. You found this out the hard way because once you install Windows again, booom, that's it, Mr. nice guy Tux (the Linux Penguin) is over and you're back to a Windows boot screen only.

If you're not very experienced with computers the simplest choice would be for you to re-install Ubuntu again. That way you'll get your dual-boot menu back without any difficult instructions. Otherwise follow the link that dv3500ea provided in the answer. Good luck!