PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Window Title Bar Requires metacity --replace to display after logon

iposner
May 27th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Running 10.04 64-bit. After logging on, the title bars around all the windows are missing. Adding "metacity --replace" as a startup command resolves the problem, but something's obviously wrong.

Doesn't occur on my other computer, so probably hardware related.

Please see attached checkbox-generated submission.xml.gz for hardware report.

iposner
May 27th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Drilling further into this, the other logins on my machine work fine, only mine isn't working the way it should. The other logins have not had their appearance altered from the default. My login has had the appearance changed to a custom style, but even if I revert the setting to the default Ambiance and log off - log on again, it still doesn't show the window border without running metacity --replace.

iposner
May 28th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Making some progress - looks for sure like my login is the only one where the window border disappears. If I only knew the order in which config files are accessed following logon, I'd be able to check my config files against those of the other users.

Any ideas out there?

reyquito
May 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hi.

I am experiencing the same issue, in at least two logins with custom style. Still haven't found a solution. If I do, I'll be back to tell you about it.

Regards,
Q

iposner
May 29th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Making some progress. Installed the compiz configuration manager and looked at the Window Decorator settings. Set the window manager to /usr/bin/compiz-decorator as this is the setting set on the other profiles.

Logged off-and-on. Problem still exists. Then attempted to change the Appearance from None to Normal window decoration using the Appearance app. All of a sudden the window border comes back. However after searching for an appropriate driver, I get the message "Desktop effects could not be enabled".

If I can work out why the desktop effects can't be enabled, maybe I can sort this out...

iposner
May 30th, 2010, 12:19 AM
FIXED -- Looking through gconf-editor, I noticed that some of my settings for metacity had the unusual string "sAVED by zERO" in them. One thing for certain, is I never put that in. So I set those strings to that listed in profiles working properly.

I then went into the Appearance app again. This time I looked at the Fonts tab. Again, there were fonts listed as sAVED by zERO. I changed these to Sans.

I then attempted to change the visual effects from None to Normal - it worked!

Could it be that some malicious code has entered the Ubuntu repositories?

Rebelli0us
May 30th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Title bars missing here too after upgrade to Lurid Lucy 10.04. Setting "Appearance" > Visual Effects to Normal restores title bars, but they're gone again on reboot.

f.zacka
June 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM
In startup applications, I found Devils Pie application set to run with the parameters

(Maximize)
(undecorate)
(focus)

After removing this from startup then doing a restart, it has fixed the problem.
Hope it helps ](*,)