PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Best way to get from 8.xx versions to 10.04?

ubnewbie2
May 27th, 2010, 05:15 AM
My main computers are still on 8.04 and 8.10 versions, and it's certainly time to upgrade with a new LTS version 10.04.

So, what's the best way to upgrade? I certainly want to maintain my current setup and data for apps like my email (I use sylpheed) and Firefox.

Should I just use Update Manager? It is currently offering me 9.04, for example, does that mean I will need to upgrade through each version a step at a time, or can I jump some versions?

tgm4883
May 27th, 2010, 05:22 AM
8.04 can go to 10.04 directly. 8.10 will need to be upgraded to each version in between. You can use update-manager for this.

ubnewbie2
May 27th, 2010, 05:37 AM
8.04 can go to 10.04 directly. 8.10 will need to be upgraded to each version in between. You can use update-manager for this.

OK, if that's the best way, that's what I'll do -thanks for that.

wilee-nilee
May 27th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Whatever you do make sure you have the stuff you can't lose backed up. Also be aware of the grub problems in that there is a gui that pops up saying if your not sure put it in a or every partition, when it should only go to the mbr where it exists now. If you put grub in a partition you will be in big trouble if it is not a custom setup like this already.

ubnewbie2
May 27th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Whatever you do make sure you have the stuff you can't lose backed up. Also be aware of the grub problems in that there is a gui that pops up saying if your not sure put it in a or every partition, when it should only go to the mbr where it exists now. If you put grub in a partition you will be in big trouble if it is not a custom setup like this already.

Appreciate the warnings!