PDA

View Full Version : I`m glad i was born in an age that has computers

proggy
May 27th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Ive been using computers since Windows 98 , there is not one day i go by without getting on my computer.I never get sick of it.
I love every part , i have a custom built machine ,i built with a friend of mine.I like playing with different operating system
I don`t have a home sound system , i listen to all my media files on my computer.
I could probably live in a 3 room house and be happy (computer room , kitchen ,bedroom) oh maybe a bathroom would be nice too.
Should i get therapy?

Firestem4
May 27th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I've been using computers pretty much all of my life, starting with Windows 3.1. These days I'm a computer tech, getting into network security and learning programming. I play games on the computer, do just about everything on the computer..

I need a hobby! Bicycle riding looks fun :)

lostinxlation
May 27th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I'm glad I was born and grew up in the time the computers weren't around and the computers became a part of life after I grew up.

lisati
May 27th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I'm glad my teenage years were in a time when even having a hand-held calculator was a big deal. If I'm not mistaken, I was one of the first at my school to have one. It could handle basic arithmetic and percentages, and that was about it.

In those days, having a computer at home was rare; if there was one it was probably because there was a hobbyist living in the house who'd built it themselves from a kit.

Having a computer at school would have been rare too. My high-school got one not long before I left, and was possibly one of the first in the area to get one. One of the teachers taught himself programming and used it to help prepare maths tests, which he'd print off, together with an answer key. If memory serves correctly, it was one of the Wang 2200 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_2200) range, similar in appearance to the one pictured at Wikipedia.

chessnerd
May 27th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I, too, am thankful for this.

Now, in this theoritical living space, what do you need a kitchen and bedroom for? That's why you have a minifridge with a microwave on top of it on the other end of the computer room, and your bed (when you do sleep) is next to your computer, ready for you to stand, walk two steps, and lay down in after a long day. A bathroom is necessary, I will give you that one.

I love computers and think that messing with OSs and programming is great and useful. In fact, some people at my aunt's office are going to pay me to update and clean up their computers. But it isn't that good for you. My eyes on constantly bloodshot, my back hurts after doing nothing but sitting at a computer for hours, and thank God I need to walk up and down stairs on a regular basis to move about my house or I'd have wasted away to nothing.

I need a second hobby, like biking or jogging, that will keep me active. I know that if I just go do it I'll enjoy it, it's hard to do it, though.

I am into Geocaching, but I don't personally have a GPS (my aunt does). If you have a GPS and like the outdoors, I highly recommend it. Another advantage of the computer age: online/IRL games involving global positioning systems...

JDShu
May 27th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I'm glad I was born in an age that has flushable toilets. (and I guess, that I'm fortunate enough to be in a wealthy enough household that has them)

proggy
May 27th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I'm glad I was born in an age that has flushable toilets. (and I guess, that I'm fortunate enough to be in a wealthy enough household that has them)
circa 26th century BC: Flush toilets were first used in the Indus Valley Civilization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Valley_Civilization). The cities of Harappa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harappa) and Mohenjo-daro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohenjo-daro) had a flush toilet in almost every house, attached to a sophisticated sewage system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewage_system).
Wikipedia

Phrea
May 27th, 2010, 07:13 AM
As a kid, there were no home computers as such, but since I was about 14 we got our first computer [a C64] and from then it slowly progressed.
Didn't do all that much with the early machines tho, somehow I didn't take to them, apart from playing some games.

The first real time I started using computers was in the beginning of the 90's and began using them more and more, and since I'm online via a cable connection in 99 I'm never far from a computer anymore.

Maybe a bit personal, but for me, there's an extra.
I've got a severe skin deficiency that started developing 12 years ago or so, and ended up at a stage where my skin couldn't handle hardly any light anymore. This means, I live inside my house, with windows that have 100% UV-B filters and only let in 20% of visible light.
This also means that my computers are in effect my only windows and communication tools to the outside world.

So, I have to say I'm VERY glad I live now, with all these possibilities.

smellyman
May 27th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I'm glad I was born and grew up in the time the computers weren't around and the computers became a part of life after I grew up.

agreed

Swagman
May 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Well I'm glad they weren't around when I were a nipper.

I absolutely enjoyed being out and about in the sun exploring & stuff.

It's taken me 49 years to finally become a bloater...

ssj6akshat
May 27th, 2010, 10:37 AM
....there is not one day i go by without getting on my computer.I never get sick of it.
I love every part ,...I could probably live in a 3 room house and be happy (computer room , kitchen ,bedroom) oh maybe a bathroom would be nice too.
Should i get therapy?
OMG! you are a COMPO(like HOMO). :lolflag:

samalex
May 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM
This is a great time to be alive, but I wish more people could've experienced computing before the Internet was so common as it is today. There used to be some magic almost when connecting to a computer that was hundreds or thousands of miles away, thinking about the hard drive spinning up and RAM filling with my request, then the data being spit out of a serial or network port, crossing a vast network to enter my system through the phone line. Pretty neat stuff 20 years ago, but common occurrence anymore.

Anymore though most people go online without even thinking about how many systems or geographical regions they're touching with a simple web request. With DNS requests, linked graphics, RSS Feeds, etc along with the browser and OS checking for updates or whatever, you could hit multiple countries just by turning on the computer and opening a browser.

Times have changed for sure, and I like the way technology has moved. I still however miss the slower-paced days of computing :)

Sam

Sporkman
May 27th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Ive been using computers since Windows 98 , there is not one day i go by without getting on my computer.I never get sick of it.
I love every part , i have a custom built machine ,i built with a friend of mine.I like playing with different operating system
I don`t have a home sound system , i listen to all my media files on my computer.
I could probably live in a 3 room house and be happy (computer room , kitchen ,bedroom) oh maybe a bathroom would be nice too.
Should i get therapy?

Things really changed when the internet came along.

Frogs Hair
May 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I was not allowed to use computers for fun . If I couldn't find something to do outside in the summer , my parents would find something for me and it usually involved work. I grew up enjoying outdoor activities and have no regrets.

whiskeylover
May 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Should i get therapy?

Yes

pwnst*r
May 27th, 2010, 09:24 PM

^that.

proggy
May 28th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Times have changed for sure, and I like the way technology has moved. I still however miss the slower-paced days of computing :)

Sam I also miiss the slower pace and the sound of pentium 2 boot up sweet:guitar: music

proggy
May 28th, 2010, 03:32 AM
[-X
Yes
I guess i should`ve expected that[-X

dondiego2
May 28th, 2010, 03:41 AM
This is a great time to be alive, but I wish more people could've experienced computing before the Internet was so common as it is today. There used to be some magic almost when connecting to a computer that was hundreds or thousands of miles away, thinking about the hard drive spinning up and RAM filling with my request, then the data being spit out of a serial or network port, crossing a vast network to enter my system through the phone line. Pretty neat stuff 20 years ago, but common occurrence anymore.

Anymore though most people go online without even thinking about how many systems or geographical regions they're touching with a simple web request. With DNS requests, linked graphics, RSS Feeds, etc along with the browser and OS checking for updates or whatever, you could hit multiple countries just by turning on the computer and opening a browser.

Sam

That brought back memories of my Commodore 64 and the first time I dialed up a bulletin board with my eyes wide as saucers thinking I alone had discovered something wonderful. It almost felt illegal it was so magical to me!

Little Bones
May 28th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I started on Windows 95 and shortly thereafter (we're talking months) had Windows 98. I look forward to eventually living on my own (lived in university residence last year and I'm splitting a house with friends this coming year) to have an office room where I can install a desktop with a nice big screen to complement my already existing laptop.

Don't worry, computers are just my hobby. I still exercise daily. :P

MasterNetra
May 28th, 2010, 04:20 AM
circa 26th century BC: Flush toilets were first used in the Indus Valley Civilization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Valley_Civilization). The cities of Harappa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harappa) and Mohenjo-daro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohenjo-daro) had a flush toilet in almost every house, attached to a sophisticated sewage system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewage_system).
Wikipedia

I know the romans had indoor plumbing too. But If remember correctly it was just Rome that used it. Maybe some of the other large cities maybe...Not flushable toilets though.

Dr.FrankenMod
May 28th, 2010, 04:24 AM
One Word - COBOL. Many hours and lots of coffee

Dr. FrankenMod

Sporkman
May 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I still exercise daily. :P

...and don't forget to shower at least once a week (whether you need to or not!).