PDA

View Full Version : XGL/Compiz Moving Faster than a Speeding Bullet

mstlyevil
March 24th, 2006, 04:00 AM
I just want to say I am absolutely impressed with how fast XGL/Compiz is being developed. I just installed the latest XGL and Compiz packages yesterday and it is completely different from the versions I installed a few weeks ago.

There were some new improvements to XGL to help it run better on AMD processors. Everything is running so much faster than even a base install with metacity as the WM. Firefox seems to open twice as fast and web pages render faster. Opacity is now a part of Compiz and not just a pluggin. There are new effects that just give you the wow factor everytime you use them.

Of course there are some annoyances. I had to get rid of all my gdesklets (except the toolbar) because they now have a constant shadow that makes them unreadable and quite ugly. I have played with every configuration setting trying to get them to render properly but there is no way to exclude them. Hopefully someone will add a way to exclude them from the effects.

For those of you waiting for Dapper to go stable before upgrading, it will be worth the wait. If XGL/Compiz continues to move this fast, it will probally be almost full featured with all the bugs worked out by Dappers release. If you have a supported video card, you will not be dissapointed.

dermotti
March 24th, 2006, 04:18 AM
In a nutshell what is XGL/Compiz?

Is it a Opengl Desktop?

mstlyevil
March 24th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Is it a Opengl Desktop?

XGL is a Opengl extention for the xserver and Compiz is a new windows manager that takes advantge of the Opengl driver. So in a nut shell the answer is yes, it is a Opengl Desktop.

ComplexNumber
March 24th, 2006, 04:25 AM

Is it a Opengl Desktop? you can find out about xgl here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xgl). on a similar note, you can find out about AIGLX here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIGLX).

marcos89
March 24th, 2006, 04:25 AM
where can we find the latest ubuntu packages of xgl and compiz u tried out?:confused: :mrgreen:

mstlyevil
March 24th, 2006, 04:26 AM
You can find them here.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=148860

dermotti
March 24th, 2006, 04:34 AM
So does XGL run in place of Xorg?

mstlyevil
March 24th, 2006, 04:37 AM
So does XGL run in place of Xorg?

If I am not mistaken, it runs on top of it. You need both to run Compiz.

IYY
March 24th, 2006, 04:51 AM
I love Compiz but I don't use it because it doesn't yet have decent support for Twinview (it works, but just treats it as a huge desktop, doesn't do maximizing properly).

dermotti
March 24th, 2006, 05:37 AM
So is XGL/Compiz independent of what desktop i am running? (KDE, GNOME, XFCE)

mstlyevil
March 24th, 2006, 05:49 AM
So is XGL/Compiz independent of what desktop i am running? (KDE, GNOME, XFCE)

I know it is best integrated with Gnome but it is also running on KDE. I am not too sure about XFCE yet but I am sure there are people working on it.

poofyhairguy
March 24th, 2006, 05:50 AM
I love Compiz but I don't use it because it doesn't yet have decent support for Twinview (it works, but just treats it as a huge desktop, doesn't do maximizing properly).

Thats an XGL problem. Using Metacity in XGL gives you the same issues.

dermotti
March 24th, 2006, 06:01 AM
I know it is best integrated with Gnome but it is also running on KDE. I am not too sure about XFCE yet but I am sure there are people working on it.

Hmmm, Ill back my system up and give it a run this weekend :-P. But if i cant run XFCE, its gone :-P The new XFCE is so sexy :-P

Bandit
March 24th, 2006, 06:34 AM
The new XGL/Compiz packages seemed much smoother, but if I shook or moved a window to fast it would disapear. Also when watching a movie it would periodicly lock the video up until I moved totem around a few times.
I think my issues might be becuase I installed the newest CVS over my older install.
I know gconf is darn near screwed up now and doesnt respond.
I reinstalled the older versions that worked great on my system.
Think I will stick with these until the latest CVS version of XGL/Compiz is released after Dapper Stable is released..
But hey right now the only issues that anoy me is the dialog windows without a close button, but hey Alt-F4..
Other then that mine is 99% stable and extreamly fast...
Cheers,
Bandit

poofyhairguy
March 24th, 2006, 06:46 AM
I love that:

A. A blog was made to keep up with Compiz development and its already very full:

http://compiz.blogspot.com/

B. The new close and open effects. I find myself closing windows just for fun.

C. The fact that a respository exists, as I always hoped that there would be one (as I knew that the Universe is not the best about having the very latest stuff.

I have not tried the new XGL debs yet, if only because I am so happy with XGL as it is. I would love to know if Intel cards worked with it though.....

andrewsawyer
March 24th, 2006, 07:21 AM
For the moment, I'm happy with how mine is running. As soon as the Xgl/TwinView problem gets sorted, I'll upgrade again, however until then I think I'll stick with the versions I'm using at the moment - not sure which, but a good few weeks old.

Iandefor
March 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I just installed it. My lord, how incredible it is! I especially love the ability to alt-mousescroll and change window opacity. Thanks for the tip, Mstlyevil!

My god, I'm an eyecandy freak.

LinuxKid
March 24th, 2006, 09:08 AM
it's too bad, I downloaded the kororaa xgl live cd to try it (and to pray that my stinky intel integrated graphics card could run it because it had run a directx cube)

and that's a no go

anyway if anyone wants to try xgl out without going through that whole proccess (and then you can go through it), download kororaa xgl through bit torrent (much faster speeds, seriously ;))
website (http://kororaa.org/static.php?page=static060318-181203)
bit torrent download (http://linuxtracker.org/download.php?id=1604&name=Kororaa-Xgl-Live-CD-0.1.torrent)

darkmatter
March 24th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Hmmm, Ill back my system up and give it a run this weekend :-P. But if i cant run XFCE, its gone :-P The new XFCE is so sexy :-P

It does run nicely with XFCE... I'll find you the link...

*EDIT* http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL#With_xfce4-session

It's a gentoo how-to, so double check all paths... other than that, you're good to go.

mstlyevil
March 24th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I just installed it. My lord, how incredible it is! I especially love the ability to alt-mousescroll and change window opacity. Thanks for the tip, Mstlyevil!

My god, I'm an eyecandy freak.

Told you a few days ago it was worth it. :mrgreen:

joflow
March 24th, 2006, 04:18 PM
The best part is that alot of work has been done by the Ubuntu community.

Iandefor
March 24th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Told you a few days ago it was worth it. :mrgreen: You did. What can I say? I'm a capricious fellow when it comes to eyecandy :-D.

Master Shake
March 24th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Does it work OK with the INtel 8x chipset? I know the 9x was mentioned...

matthinckley
March 24th, 2006, 07:38 PM
posted in the wrong forum..

jc87
March 24th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I already tested XGL in a friend computer with Korooa live-cd and i just loved it ;)

By the way , the XGL that will be included in the Dapper final release will need some tweaks similar to the current ones , or will work out of the box just needing us to install the 3d drivers?

mstlyevil
March 24th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I already tested XGL in a friend computer with Korooa live-cd and i just loved it ;)

By the way , the XGL that will be included in the Dapper final release will need some tweaks similar to the current ones , or will work out of the box just needing us to install the 3d drivers?

You will still have to install it. It is really easy to install if you have a Nvidia card. I have no clue how easy it is to install for other graphics suppliers.

Stormy Eyes
March 25th, 2006, 02:06 AM
It does run nicely with XFCE... I'll find you the link...

*EDIT* http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL#With_xfce4-session

It's a gentoo how-to, so double check all paths... other than that, you're good to go.

Darkmatter's right; it runs quite nicely with Xfce 4.3-svn. If you follow poofy's howto for installing Xgl and compiz, you can just follow the instructions on gentoo-wiki.com without any library problems.

marcos89
March 25th, 2006, 03:01 AM
are there any debs for the new glitz? im not able to compile it :confused:

krusbjorn
March 25th, 2006, 03:06 AM
are there any debs for the new glitz? im not able to compile it :confused:

Yeah, you can find them here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=148860).

marcos89
March 25th, 2006, 03:09 AM
the glitz is source code in tar.gz i want it on .deb

krusbjorn
March 25th, 2006, 03:12 AM
the glitz is source code in tar.gz i want it on .deb

If you unpack the tar.gz archive, you get 4 debs. Magic!

nickle
March 25th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Will all this stuff be standard in Dapper?

helpme
March 25th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Will all this stuff be standard in Dapper?
No. Remember, this stuff is still in pretty early development, so it simply isn't suitable to be the standard yet.

However, I think the important thing is that it is available and relatively easy to install for those who want to give it a try.

marcos89
March 25th, 2006, 07:08 PM
for some uknown reason , since i installed XGL i get this error when trying to run amsn :-(

yes, i tried removing ~/.amsn and re-run it but still same thing :(

marcos@host-70-45-20-201:~$ amsn
Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk applicationunknown color name "Black"

krusbjorn
March 25th, 2006, 07:48 PM
for some uknown reason , since i installed XGL i get this error when trying to run amsn :-(

yes, i tried removing ~/.amsn and re-run it but still same thing :(

marcos@host-70-45-20-201:~$ amsn
Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk applicationunknown color name "Black"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=772059