PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 10.04 - installation failure, blank screen, blocked task ...

parc
May 26th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I tried to update a Mythbuntu server from 9.10 to 10.04 - after reboot the system was not working any more.

Then I tried a fresh installation of Mythbuntu 10.04 and this showed the same problems: blanked screen.

Then I tried a fresh Ubuntu 10.04 installation and this showed the same effect after reboot: blanked screen.

If I leave the system alone for a while I get lots of messages in a kind of:

Info: task ..... blocked for more than 120 seconds

where ..... seems to be the name of a process.

The hardware is a 939-based AMD CPU, Asus-Motherboard with 3 GB RAM, ATA hard-disc, ATA DVD-drive and Matrox graphics card (same problem appears with ATI Radeon card). I can run the Live CD.

Any help available ??????

Catharsis
May 27th, 2010, 07:58 AM
If you hold down the Shift key while booting, do you get the grub menu? If so, try booting the recovery kernel.

parc
May 27th, 2010, 09:34 AM
If you hold down the Shift key while booting, do you get the grub menu? If so, try booting the recovery kernel.

I did another tests with SATA drives, but all failed with the same result.

And yes: I get the grub menu, but starting the recovering kernel does not produce any other results - same stuff.

Any further ideas ? I also tried xforcevesa or stuff like this - but actually with no success.

Catharsis
May 28th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Did you check the disc for defects?

In your BIOS, is the harddrive set to Compatibility Mode?

Try updating your system. In the recovery menu, select root with networking. Then run

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Do you know the name of the tasks that are being blocked? Do you get more information by deleting "quiet splash" from your kernel parameters?

parc
May 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM
If I leave the system alone for a while I get lots of messages in a kind of:

Info: task ..... blocked for more than 120 seconds

where ..... seems to be the name of a process.

The hardware is a 939-based AMD CPU, Asus-Motherboard with 3 GB RAM, ATA hard-disc, ATA DVD-drive and Matrox graphics card (same problem appears with ATI Radeon card). I can run the Live CD.

Any help available ??????

Ok, the same stuff can now be reproduced with a new 9.10 on my system and kernel 2.6.31-21 (which was installed by an update). With kernel 2.6.31-14 (from the installation) the system seems to work pretty stable.

Catharsis
May 29th, 2010, 01:35 AM
The mainline kernel should work for you
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/MainlineBuilds