PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what are all the shortcuts for Ubuntu features ?

AM_SOS
May 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
hi all,
this one is about the graphics related features of 9.10.
while using the usual Alt + Tab combination to toggle between different windows, i pressed the Alt, Windows, and Tab keys by accident.
i was surprised to see that suddenly all 3 open windows were being displayed in a 3 D circular pattern with the desktop in the background.
i don't really know if this feature was present in earlier version of Ubuntu, but it seems to be some kind of response to a similar feature in Vista (which i hated !). however, the Ubuntu one is so much more better implemented !
unfortunately, i had so far not come across any info on such a feature in 9.10. the serendipitous discovery of the 3 D window toggle feature leads me to suspect that there are many such nice surprises waiting for me in Ubuntu !
therefore, can someone please point out more such feature sets / shortcuts and places in the OS which would have info on the same ?
cheers !

Zemblan
May 27th, 2010, 01:03 AM
These are features of compiz. If you install CompizConfig Settings Manager(ccsm) and run it you will see on the left side a "window management" button. Click it and you will see the various styles of application switcher that are available, click on them to investigate their keyboard shortcuts, or change them as you like.

AM_SOS
May 27th, 2010, 08:35 AM
hey thanks!
i checked and strangely the manager (ccsm) is not installed yet. so how come the 3 D effect is enabled ?
also would installing this feature set tax the RAM ? what do i really lose out on if i uninstall it ?

Cosmogirl
May 27th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hi,

Here's a link to the Compiz wiki listing the keyboard shortcuts. Have fun!

http://wiki.compiz.org/CommonKeyboardShortcuts

AM_SOS
May 27th, 2010, 04:17 PM
thanks !