PDA

View Full Version : What do you normally listen to at work?

samalex
May 26th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Hey Guys--

I spend most of my day in a cubical, so to avoid going mad I have headphones on listening to a variety of content.

I have my normal podcasts I try to catch:
Monday - This Week in Tech, Science Friday (from prior week)
Monday or Tuesday - This Week in Amateur Radio
Wednesday/Thursday - Off the Hook/Off the Wall
Whenever they come out - Retrobits, FLOSS Weekly, and many others

I also stream SomaFM or various NPR stations that do Jazz or Classical, plus I love Magnatune.

And if there's a tech conference that's streaming, I try to keep it on in the background as much as possible.

Plus I have my laptop full of MP3's, though I rarely listen to them. Mostly when I do it's classical, jazz, or the various eclectic or techno groups I like. I rarely listen to pop or popular music (from any era).

What do others listen to when at work?

Sam

Dixon Bainbridge
May 26th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Models whinging about the pose I've just asked them to hold for 10 minutes.

RiceMonster
May 26th, 2010, 10:33 PM
People talking on the phone about with other employees about various things.

People laughing loudly in the break room.

angry_johnnie
May 26th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I listen to people :-)
I'm a tech support guy. Probably the most difficult job I've ever had... understanding things and explaining things are two such different things...

sgosnell
May 27th, 2010, 12:44 AM
The scanner. We listen to the county dispatchers for several counties around to try to get early indications of whether we might get a flight. I also listen to the med crew complain about all sorts of things. I sometimes listen to music.

lisati
May 27th, 2010, 01:01 AM
. understanding things and explaining things are two such different things...
+1

And even with the best possible explanation, some people don't always understand. :)

I've got the midday news playing on TV at the moment.

GlazedDonut
May 27th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I usually listen to the radio, 93.3 WMMR :D

sandyd
May 27th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Depends on how bored I am.
If im bored enough, youll likely see me playing computer games :P , but normally, I have a pile of computers and parts all around me. I get to listen to them beep out their diagnostic codes and hear the cursing when someone else in the department screws up.

beercz
May 27th, 2010, 01:24 AM
bbc.co.uk/fivelive (http://bbc.co.uk/fivelive)

TommyGunn
May 27th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Models whinging about the pose I've just asked them to hold for 10 minutes.
Ten minutes...... so are you a perfectionist, very slow or shooting in a coal mine perhaps! :)

Irihapeti
May 27th, 2010, 01:37 AM
The sound of my own thoughts. Gets a bit off-putting, sometimes.

Dixon Bainbridge
May 27th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Ten minutes...... so are you a perfectionist, very slow or shooting in a coal mine perhaps! :)

If you have ever tried to arrange a shoot with 3 female models so that all 4 of your diaries sync, then try to get the models to a location on time with the right clothes and make up with them, you would understand why I make models stand still for ages whilst im pretending to set up a shot. :)

julio_cortez
May 27th, 2010, 10:51 AM
When I'm programming I usually listen to the "web radio" that is on www.105.net (a well-known Italian radio), often to the "lo Zoo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo_Zoo_di_105)" channel.
Otherwise, when I'm troubleshooting things with people, of course I just have to listen to them.

The good part of my work is that I manage to travel sometimes (well, not very far but a 50 km travel usually takes up quite an hour) and I'm free to listen to whatever I want while I'm travelling.
If I go by train I bring my music player and listen to some house music usually, if I go by car I have some CDs with mp3 files, or I just listen to Radio 105 (the one I listen to when I'm in office).

bigseb
May 27th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I normally listen to a 32mm AJX chomp its way through steel...