PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Latest software updates

byline
May 26th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Update Manager delivered several software changes this morning. However, they came with a warning: "You are about to install software that can't be authenticated. Doing this could allow a malicious individual to damage or take control of your system."

This certainly doesn't make me want to install any of the upgrades. My question is, if they can't be authenticated, then why is Update Manager even including them?

byline
May 26th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Anyone? This is the first time I've received this type of warning using Update Manager. All the other times, I've simply installed the updates.

BeRA
May 26th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Happened to me when I tried to install Exaile on a clean Lucid install (some dependency/ies that I'm absolutely positive I had on my system many times before- couldn't be "authenticated" by lucid - and I used default reps only)... shortly, I installed Exaile :)

Shortly: it should be ~99.99% safe to proceed if you use default repositories only :P

WinRiddance
May 26th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Anyone? This is the first time I've received this type of warning using Update Manager. All the other times, I've simply installed the updates.

I can't be 100% certain but I think it has to do with the fact that you can install apps. from the software center which, although reviewed and accepted in the repository for Ubuntu, are not actually endorsed or supported by the people at Canonical. So you'll be receiving updates for third party apps. and since those aren't actually supported it would make sense that you'd receive such an error in the upgrade manager.

Since my Ubuntu runs in its own partition and since malicious software and viruses are pretty much unheard of for Linux, I just ignore that kind of stuff and go ahead with the updates anyway.

Just imagine what would happen if MS windows automatic updates included all of the third party apps that everyone had installled on their windows boxes. You can bet your sox that you'd be seeing warnings like that all over the place since MS wouldn't accept responsibility for such updates either.

byline
May 26th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Very good. Thank you both for your replies! It weirded me out since, after I don't know how many updates, this is the first time I've received this warning. But it looks like I can update with confidence.

Thanks, again!:guitar:

BeRA
May 26th, 2010, 11:46 PM
You're welcome :)