PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to get Alt_R to behave as Alt and ISO_Level3_Shift

mandar.mitra
May 26th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04. When I use the Gnome desktop, the right alt behaves perfectly (alt ordinarily, but as ISO_Level3_Shift when I switch keyboard layout). When I use fvwm (as I do usually), it is always mapped to ISO_Level3_Shift and it stops behaving as the Alt key.

Is there some way that I can get the Gnome behaviour under Fvwm as well?

Thanks.

simosx
May 27th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04. When I use the Gnome desktop, the right alt behaves perfectly (alt ordinarily, but as ISO_Level3_Shift when I switch keyboard layout). When I use fvwm (as I do usually), it is always mapped to ISO_Level3_Shift and it stops behaving as the Alt key.

Is there some way that I can get the Gnome behaviour under Fvwm as well?

In GNOME run

gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd
in order to capture the precise keyboard settings that work.
From the result you get, use 'setxkbmap' to replicate those settings in fvwm.

mandar.mitra
July 6th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks for your reply. It turns out I had provided wrong information in my original post, but I eventually managed to get things to work the way I wanted.

I looked at "xmodmap -pke" and put the following in my .Xmodmap:

keycode 108 = Alt_R Meta_R ISO_Level3_Shift

This makes things work the way I like.

simosx
July 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Several keyboard layouts include an instruction that converts the AltGr into ISO_Level3_Shift.
Most probably your second layout is such a layout.
The xmodpad rule you use simply disables the functionality to use AltGr on that second layout to type extended Unicode characters.