PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install drivers/programs on ubuntu live usb.

armape
May 26th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Hello,
I want to watch the most important soccer games of the next soccer world cup at the work. As you can imagine I do not have the administrative privileges to install a tv tuner in my computer. I am wondering if it is possible to install the drivers of a tv tuner (hauppauge) in an ubuntu live usb in order to be able to watch tv using the computer at my work. Please advise if this is a viable option. Can programs be installed on a live usb????

jerrrys
May 27th, 2010, 01:23 AM
never done it, but here's a place to start

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=tv+tuner&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en#909

C.S.Cameron
May 27th, 2010, 01:44 AM
You can install anything on a USB drive that you can install on an internal hard drive, well anything Linux that is.
I think you need a TV card to watch TV on a computer though.
You can probably pick up an external USB one but then you will probably also need cable or a satellite dish or a big antenna.

armape
May 28th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Thanks jerrys and cs cameron. If anything can be installed in a live USB what is the difference between installing ubuntu in an internal hard drive and in an USB stick?

jerrrys
May 28th, 2010, 01:45 AM
mainly speed