PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu dual-boot with Mandriva

philkahly8
May 26th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I have Ubuntu 10.04. I used a Gparted live cd to partition it and installed Mandriva spring 2010 in unallocated space. It works fine but I can't get back to Ubuntu. How do I do it?

oldfred
May 26th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I would reinstall Ubuntu's grub2 to the MBR and I would expect it to find and let you boot Mandriva on a sudo update-grub.

How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu 9.10)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

philkahly8
May 27th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I tried
sudo mkdir /media/sda5
sudo mount /dev/sda5 /media/sda5 but it said cannot create directory file exists. the I typed sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/sda5 /dev/sdalike it said, and it told me it was reading BIOS driver or something like that. I walked away then came back and the computer had shut off. I turned it on, it said loading grub then it booted Mandriva without asking me.

oldfred
May 27th, 2010, 04:43 AM
You installed mandriva's grub to sda's MBR so now you are booting mandriva.

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/sda5 /dev/sda

Should be to get mandriva's grub into the partition.
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/sda5 /dev/sda5

Drives which control booting from startup are sda, sdb, sdc etc. the MBR or master boot record is the first sector of the hard drive and is not part of any partition.

Partitions which may have boot sectors (like windows does) allow chainloading. they are sda1, sda2, sdb1 etc.

You should reinstall mandriva to sda5 and reinstall Ubuntu's grub2 to sda.

philkahly8
May 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM
My brother, who is a computer programmer, stopped by and helped me with it. He had me type

gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add Ubuntu's information to it. Now I can select Ubuntu from Mandriva's grub but it says it can't find it. He kept having me change it to try and fix the problem but he had to leave before we could fix it. The file is attached.

philkahly8
May 29th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Never mind, I fixed it with:
title Ubuntu 10.04
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img

Thanks anyway!