PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Password problem????

rob45
May 26th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Hi all. i'm having trouble with my password.....i dont have one to sign in yet...the story is when i installed 10.04 during the bit right at the start were your user name is i decided to change it.....the other one was just owner in xp so i thought it was a good idea to choose a nicer user name....oops.

When i first tried to log in it basically wouldnt let me.....because Owner is the name in my original install of XP for user name.. not Daisy.even when i chose to log in with the other name it wouldnt let me....so i was advised to change pw for user name Daisy...via root...which i did....still wouldnt let me in.....so i deleted pw for user name by root using passwd Owner Daisy --delete.....so i could at least get to the desktop in 10.04.

Oh another problem is if i enter passwd Owner in root it says that Owner doesnt exist.

But now when i try to change a setting it wont let me....because i dont know what the password is.....i tried the old ones but they wont work.....authentication failure.

And all permissions are set with the user name Owner.:confused:

presence1960
May 26th, 2010, 01:36 AM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword