PDA

View Full Version : Worth the Upgrade?

mamamia88
May 26th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I have a samsung n130 netbook running windows 7. at 1 time the most i have open is firefox and maybe one other application. do you think it would be worth $50 to add an extra gb ram?

Dayofswords
May 26th, 2010, 12:14 AM
if firefox and one other program is al you have going, i don't think you'll need it, but thats from my experience with a netbook with XP, not sure about 7

mamamia88
May 26th, 2010, 12:16 AM
it runs pretty quick on windows 7 and i've never had any real problems. i do sometimes play dvd drips on my tv and the video sometimes seems a little slow but that might be because the videocard isn't that great or a problem in the ripping process

libssd
May 26th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I have a samsung n130 netbook running windows 7. at 1 time the most i have open is firefox and maybe one other application. do you think it would be worth $50 to add an extra gb ram?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you want to add more RAM for Windows 7 or for Ubuntu? 2gb seems to be the practical minimum for Windows 7. For Ubuntu, 1 gb should be ample.

Looking at memory in use, System Monitor is currently showing ~350mb out of 1 gb, zero in swap. I rarely see RAM usage spike about 700 mb, almost never see swap being used. FireFox has a reputation as a memory hog; you might want to look into Chrome, which is much faster and lighter on its feet.

mamamia88
May 26th, 2010, 12:35 AM
windows linux wireless is unpredictable on my netbok.

CharlesA
May 26th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I was able to run Windows 7 Pro on my Asus netbook with a gig of RAM. I added an extra gig and it seems to run a bit better. More wiggle room, so to speak.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 26th, 2010, 02:35 AM

I think Ubuntu (or Fedora's Moblin spin) would be a considerably cheaper upgrade ;)

madjr
May 26th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I think Ubuntu (or Fedora's Moblin spin) would be a considerably cheaper upgrade ;)

yea just what i did :D

worth the try

MasterNetra
May 26th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Depends, do you plan on doing anything more with it such as gaming or will you just continue using it causally? If casual, then sticking with only 1GB is perfectly fine.

mamamia88
May 26th, 2010, 03:09 AM
gaming on a netbook lol. thats what my ps3 and 360 are for