PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting an iMac. (Don't beat me up!)

TheNerdAL
May 25th, 2010, 10:39 PM
So I want a new computer that is really easy to make a cartoon show and design and stuff. I think the iMac is good for me. I'll still keep the computer with Ubuntu 10.04 on it and put it in my room or put the iMac in my room.

I wanted to know if anyone has tips from a User who switched from Windows to Linux and will be getting an Apple computer.

Thanks.

KiwiNZ
May 25th, 2010, 10:49 PM
What model Mac are you considering ?

fatality_uk
May 25th, 2010, 10:49 PM
So I want a new computer that is really easy to make a cartoon show and design and stuff. I think the iMac is good for me. I'll still keep the computer with Ubuntu 10.04 on it and put it in my room or put the iMac in my room.

I wanted to know if anyone has tips from a User who switched from Windows to Linux and will be getting an Apple computer.

Thanks.

Can what you want, we ain't your parents :)

tmette
May 25th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I had the 27 inch i5 iMac and it was really nice. I was able to install Ubuntu, but I had to do a lot of troubleshooting with the ATI card in them. Other than that and the sound working, Ubuntu was able to recognize and get it all working.

As far as learning OS goes,..it's pretty easy to get the hang of. I would recommend picking up this book (http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Snow-Leopard-Missing/dp/0596153287/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274824343&sr=1-1) if your not sure how easy it will be. I already knew the Mac OS, but I still bought the book to read through it.

TheNerdAL
May 25th, 2010, 10:54 PM
What model Mac are you considering ?

27 inch core duo.

kaldor
May 25th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't bother with an iMac. I use OS X on a MacBook; great laptop. However, for a desktop, I'd still say keep the Linux machine. Afterall, most major movies were made on Linux machines (Lotr, Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc).

It's just that iMacs are overpriced in my opinion.

mamamia88
May 25th, 2010, 11:07 PM
why not build a windows machine for video editing? i'm no expert but i'm sure you can find some good software for video editing on windows. i do hear good things about video editing on mac

isaacj87
May 25th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I have OS X on my netbook. It's pretty nifty and I do appreciate the amount of art-related software there is.

If I were you, I would purchase one off of their refurbished store. That way you get a re-built iMac, at a much lower price, with a 1-year warranty. Here's the link: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac

BTW, I bought an iPod from the refurb store and it's still truckin'. I bought the thing 5 years ago I might add!

avaralom
May 25th, 2010, 11:14 PM
The iMac is a really nice computer, I used a 27inch in college and it was really nice. OSX is really easy to use, I think if you are at all familiar with computers (which, duh) you won't have a problem. You can even use a terminal if you prefer.

Though in my personal opinion and experience, Adobe CS runs just as well on Windows as it did on the Mac, as long as they are pretty comparable specs wise. As for other, more resource heavy apps, I can't really say. (:

coolman98
May 25th, 2010, 11:20 PM
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTING AN IMAC.
If you want a mac, get a macbook pro.

Sand & Mercury
May 25th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I have a 27 incher that's now gathering dust. Their screens are beautiful, the best I've ever used, and they do look lovely sitting on your desktop, but gave me all kinds of trouble when I tried to dual boot (mostly related to drivers).

KiwiNZ
May 25th, 2010, 11:44 PM
You will get a lot of " Mac's are over priced FUD" they are not , that is spread by those who know little. However you need to weigh up the uses you need to put it to .

Make you yourself a Plus and minus list in two columns . list your plus's ,list your minus's then make YOUR decision.

Imacs are great if you want a lounge PC or you need a PC that is very quiet and great looks are important not to mention great performance.
If that is not important then the Macbook range has some great models and the Macbook white is currently at very good pricing.

Personally I love my Macs , I have an iMac and a MacbookPro and getting a MacPro. They have been awesome and never missed a beat. The image in the Imac screen is just stunning and great for my Digital photography. I highly recommend them.

zekopeko
May 25th, 2010, 11:47 PM

Thanks.

I suggest you wait. They usually refresh the iMac lineup around this time (not sure but check when previous refreshes happened).
In the mean time I suggest you go into an Apple store and try out the computer.

Another good thing to do would be to post in the Apple users sub-forums here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=328

Oh, and ignore all the people telling you how Macs are overpriced etc. They don't know what they are talking about.

McRat
May 25th, 2010, 11:56 PM
My first Mac was very recent. It's a MacBook Pro.

It is arguably the best notebook computer I've ever seen. Much better design and interface than PC-based notebooks at any price.

That being said, it isn't the favorite around here except for certain tasks. Not sure why. I think it's "comfort", aka seat-time.

Shpongle
May 26th, 2010, 12:00 AM
http://www.pencil-animation.org/index.php?id=Home

runs on linux , its in the repos as far as I know. if you want my opinion a mac is a waste of money , overpriced as it is the hardware is not up to a windows or linux pre installed equivalent for the same money . Also apart from a few programs theres no real advantage over linux. just my thoughts on it . Its up to you anyway , hope it works out well what ever you chose to get / do

peace

aysiu
May 26th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Any reason in particular you want to get an iMac as opposed to a Macbook Pro?

My wife is a graphic designer and uses a Macbook Pro when she does work outside the office. It seems to have enough processing power and RAM. And if you need a larger screen, you can hook it up to an external monitor or TV.

libssd
May 26th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Moving from Linux to Mac OS X is easier than switching from Windows, as under the pretty surface, a Mac is running a version of Unix. I have the last of the PowerPC iMacs (forget how old it is), and it's been rock solid, as has every Mac I've ever owned since 1984.

MacBooks are nice, but pricey. I've heard of some reliability problems with the new 27" iMacs, but I have no first-hand experience. If you get an iMac (for that matter, any Mac) you also need to get a USB dock, as they just don't come with enough USB ports.

TheNerdAL
May 26th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Tell me why people are wrong saying they are expensive.

Is it because they have good hardware?

handy
May 26th, 2010, 01:39 AM
We have 2x 2007 model 24" iMacs in the house & a G4 Powerbook.

My wife who is not a nerd, happily taught herself to do everything she needs to do on OS X, without any books. She runs her private music teacher business (& associated endeavours) out of it. She uses software that there is nothing like in the Linux world for some of her tasks. The 24" screen is a real boon to her, as she does a LOT of work with musical manuscript & scores on the iMac.

Hardware wise, the iMac is very quiet, it is not too hard to pull apart if you need to upgrade the HDD (I put 1.5TB HDD in mine) or replace a failed optical drive or the little system battery (CR2032 thankfully).

The mighty mouse is the worlds worst mouse & the keyboard doesn't suit many of us. They lasted less than 2 hours with me.

OS X, is really simple to use, it will take an ex windows or Linux user no time flat to become familiar with the way it does things. Even though I think most people love the interface, I don't. I find Finder to be archaic & as I have said before in the forums, you can't enlarge all of the fonts & those that you can you can only enlarge to too small a size. This is very poor design when Apple sell such large high resolution screens.

I dual boot with Arch, & rarely use OS X, as I don't like it much.

The hardware is fine, though it would have been nice if they had of incorporated an upgrade path for the GPU.

After over 2.5 years of ownership, both my wife (the OS X, user) & myself (the Arch user) are not dissapointed with the iMac. If I had my time over again I may or may not buy it again. Though it fits my crowded office well, I very likely would have bought an equally large monitor & built an upgradeable more future proof box, which is what I'll do in the future when the need arises.

libssd
May 26th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Tell me why people are wrong saying they are expensive.

Is it because they have good hardware?
Macs are built in China, like almost everything else these days. Over the life of a machine, there have been a lot of articles suggesting that the total cost of ownership for a Mac is lower than for a Windows machine. For example, here's a recent article that appears to be relatively unbiased (that is, it's backed up by data, as opposed to religious conviction): Macs Cheaper Than Windows PCs For Enterprises (http://techie-buzz.com/mac-news/macs-cheaper-windows-pcs.html)

But a Linux box will be cheaper still... :P

Redache
May 26th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I have the latest Gen 13" Macbook Pro and I'm really happy with it. Whilst OSX has some annoying traits, It is a decent OS. You won't find many Notebooks that have this much portability and power built in. I'm also not disappointed by having a Core 2 Duo, It seems the Mobile Core i architecture is fairly dodgy and isn't that much better than Core 2 Duo.

I'd say get a Macbook Pro and a decent screen if you want the best of both worlds. I'd love a 27" iMac but I can't justify one :(.

Merk42
May 26th, 2010, 01:45 AM

Thanks.

As with buying any computer, with any OS. What are you going to do with it?

What is it about 'making a cartoon show' that made you think Mac? You do know the whole "Macs are for graphics" is very very outdated right?

I don't care if you get a computer running Mac, Windows, or Linux. But it would be nice that when you invest hundreds of dollars on new equipment you do it for the right reasons with an educated mind.

pwnst*r
May 26th, 2010, 01:59 AM
^U mad?

@OP: Get a Macbook Pro.

Dharmachakra
May 26th, 2010, 02:16 AM
^U mad?

Agreed. If you're buying new, you may be interested in 'upgrading' the screen resolution from the website. It's only available for the 15" and 17" Pro's, but, it sounds like you're looking for something that size anyways.

EDIT: Only the 15's.

handy
May 26th, 2010, 02:34 AM
You do know the whole "Macs are for graphics" is very very outdated right?

Historically, there was a guy who worked at the Xerox PARC, who created a way to get WYSIWYG printing from a computer to a laser printer.

Apple jumped on this, as they had this superior desktop computer, but they didn't have a reason why people should spend more money on it, instead of getting an IBM or IBM clone.

So the inventor of this printing technology left Xerox & went & started up Adobe, Apple bought 20% shares in Adobe (just as likely startup money for the Adobe business).

After that Apple had something that it took the opposition a while to catch up on. It made the Mac's the system of choice for any business that needed fine control over what they printed, so for many years Apple owned the world of desktop publishing, all enhanced primarily by Adobe products.

Of course windows eventually caught up, & Adobe produce for windows & the Apple advantage in desktop publishing has been gone for years.

As far as the story on the handling of animation & movies is concerned I don't know that history.

mamamia88
May 26th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I have the latest Gen 13" Macbook Pro and I'm really happy with it. Whilst OSX has some annoying traits, It is a decent OS. You won't find many Notebooks that have this much portability and power built in. I'm also not disappointed by having a Core 2 Duo, It seems the Mobile Core i architecture is fairly dodgy and isn't that much better than Core 2 Duo.

I'd say get a Macbook Pro and a decent screen if you want the best of both worlds. I'd love a 27" iMac but I can't justify one :(. does it really get 10 hours battery life? that is really the only reason i would consider one. my netbook which isn't nearly as powerful only gets around 5

Merk42
May 26th, 2010, 03:06 AM
A lot of stuff
I know and as you said, Windows eventually caught up, which is why I said it was outdated.

^U mad?

Not at all. I mean 'u mad' that he's considering getting an iMac and not a Macbook Pro?

Currently his only deciding factor is "a new computer that is really easy to make a cartoon show and design and stuff". Getting a Mac doesn't make any of that easier (nor would one running Windows, nor Linux).

If there was more input as to perhaps what specific program(s) he would like to run, then one could make a better decision. Choosing not only the OS, but the hardware as well.

MasterNetra
May 26th, 2010, 03:25 AM
You will get a lot of " Mac's are over priced FUD" they are not , that is spread by those who know little. However you need to weigh up the uses you need to put it to .

Make you yourself a Plus and minus list in two columns . list your plus's ,list your minus's then make YOUR decision.

Imacs are great if you want a lounge PC or you need a PC that is very quiet and great looks are important not to mention great performance.
If that is not important then the Macbook range has some great models and the Macbook white is currently at very good pricing.

Personally I love my Macs , I have an iMac and a MacbookPro and getting a MacPro. They have been awesome and never missed a beat. The image in the Imac screen is just stunning and great for my Digital photography. I highly recommend them.

Actually they are overpriced or at the very least at the higher end of the price spectrum sense wither or not something is overpriced is really a opinion, mine is based on the comparison. You can get laptop that is as powerful as a Macbook pro from system76 for considerably less. Even less at HP. Not fud from me. I actually compared the prices with those of the equalivent hardware. The macbook pro 15 inch screen with a 2.66ghz processor is at $2200 (2199) (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?aid=AIC-WWW-NAUS-K2-BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX&cp=BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX),

while system76's Pangolin can be configured to that for around $1133 (http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=100),

A HP's dv7tse can be customized (that has dual cores almost at that cpu speed) at the price of $1,099.99 and it has a larger screen...(http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category/notebooks/dv7tse_series/3/computer_store?jumpid=in_r329_personalization/browse1/home_SDP).

Gateway is cheaper too. The Gateway® P-7809u FX Edition for instance, $1250, 17 inch screen, with the rest of specs at least close to Macbook Pro.
Only Alien Ware's reaches the 2k mark with the M17x but thats with the processor updated and such, it though also has a 17 inch screen 1GB graphics card (where mac only sports a 512). But yet its still a couple hundred dollars cheaper.
Mac's are overpriced in comparison to their competitors.
Not Fud. Fact. ~The More you know!

themarker0
May 26th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I own one. Imho its crap. I'd build my own machine before it. I could've made a quite similar one, linux friends for 50 dollars less. If you need one unit, everyone seems to be coming out with them now. Acer's, HP's, and MSI's one solution desktop are all great. :)

handy
May 26th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I know and as you said, Windows eventually caught up, which is why I said it was outdated.

I thought you did, I posted the brief history for anyone else that could be bothered reading it. :)

Not at all. I mean 'u mad' that he's considering getting an iMac and not a Macbook Pro?

The post that he was pointing to has been removed, so it now points at you by mistake. lol

If there was more input as to perhaps what specific program(s) he would like to run, then one could make a better decision. Choosing not only the OS, but the hardware as well.

I agree that the purpose stated by the OP is no reason to buy a Mac unless there is Mac specific software required to do the job. You could very likely save enough money using a non Apple product to buy your software or whatever.

It is quite possible that the OP, just likes the look of the Mac & wants one.

Or, as the post that has been removed inferred, the OP just likes to post new threads that are somewhat controversial, generate discussion, argument & therefore entertainment for the OP & very likely others too. ;)

pwnst*r
May 26th, 2010, 06:24 AM

I'm not the one jumping in a thread and crying about the OP. Better check your last post.

bashveank
May 26th, 2010, 06:30 AM
As someone who did the same thing you're about to do, that is, went from Windows, to Linux, to OS X, the switch will be pretty easy for you. OS X is really easy to use, but packed with advanced features. And you've always got the terminal if you need it (though I haven't in two years).

Few pointers:
Play around with the system preferences and individual application's preferences. The dialogs are pretty discoverable, and there's some pretty useful tweaks you can do to personalize your system.

If you want to do some customization and it's not available in the system preferences, don't give up, there's probably a free application that'll do what you want.

OS X has a stunning 3rd party application market. Apps like Things, Awakening, FotoMagico, Transmit, Scrivener, etc... are most definitely worth their pricetag. If you really don't want to spend the money, though, there are always free alternatives that are very close to stunning.

jrusso2
May 26th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Yea but the OP wants to run Linux and for that buying a Mac is not only a waste but can be difficult to get everything working

handy
May 26th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Yea but the OP wants to run Linux and for that buying a Mac is not only a waste but can be difficult to get everything working

The iMac is not a problem, I did have an installation problem possibly caused by my the iMac keyboard well over 2 years ago. I doubt that the problem still exists, I don't know because I haven't had to reinstall Arch since the initial installation). I don't know (from personal experience) about any other Mac's & Linux though.

I wrote a wiki page for installing Arch on the iMac it can be found here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IMac_Aluminium

ctrlmd
May 26th, 2010, 08:43 AM
congratulation enjoy it

Grenage
May 26th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Macs aren't over-priced, and they are. For raw performance you can get a lot more for less with a PC, but if you look at the overall package (aesthetics, component quality, OS, et cetera), they're not bad on the pricing.

ssam
May 26th, 2010, 09:47 AM
have you had a look at doing animation on linux? there are a few bits of software worth trying. have a look at:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/morevna_project_anime_synfig_and_blender

http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/blender-open-projects/

are you planning to buy graphics and animation software on mac, or use free software? GIMP is far more usable on Linux than Mac.

NCLI
May 26th, 2010, 09:48 AM
'For raw performance you can get a lot more for less with a PC, but if you look at the overall package
Yes, let's do that ;)

aesthetics
Is a matter of taste. I do agree that they look great though.

component quality
Nonsense. The components in a mac are no different from a high-end PC. The only part that is very high quality is the monitor, IIRC.

OS
Can be bought for ~40 USD and installed on any PC, or you can download a Mac lookalike package for linux. Besides, linux is free, and many prefer it ;)

et cetera
What?

they're not bad on the pricing.
BS.

cascade9
May 26th, 2010, 10:18 AM
OJK, I know that this isnt going to be popualr, but I'm going to say it.

You are planning on buying an iMac in the belief that its going to be easy to do 'design' and 'make a cartoon show'? Got any evidence for that being true?

Fair enough, you've got a dream, but you cant consume your way to it.

From what I know from a very close friend who works in 3D digital design (who BTW works on windows and mac machines) you are going to want RAM...lots of it...hdd space....lots of it...and as much CPU and GPU power as you can get.

If you do get an imac, get a i5/i7, not a core 2 duo. Pity they only get ATI 4670/4850 video, more GPU power would be nice. 4GB should be OK, but 8GB isnt going to hurt...untill you go to pay for it. Whoever says 'macs arent expenisive' hasnt checked the prices lately.... apple loves to make a massive profit from upgrades. For upgrading the iMac, 2GB x 4 (from 2Gb x 2) is a $200 upgrade, and 4GB x 2 is $400! Very expensive. 2TB upgrade over the stock 1TB is $250, a lot more than a bare 2TB drive.....

BTW, for everybody in this thread saying 'get a macbook pro' (or any other laptop)- err, why? Laptops have slower HDDs, slower RAM (well, slower RAM than standard computers, apple put lame DDR3 1066 into thier systems when 1333 is 'standard' DDR3, and you can get DDR3 clocked a lot hgier than that). The screen size is too small for graphics work IMO, they tend to have lower powered CPUs compared to dekstops, and there is also the 'cant be pushed as hard as a standard desktop before thermal throttling' issue as well.

amitabhishek
May 26th, 2010, 10:22 AM
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is your mantra go for a Mac. I'd prefer a device which can be modded/hacked.

I'd like to think MacBook is still more open than other Apple devices!

NCLI
May 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is your mantra go for a Mac. I'd prefer a device which can be modded/hacked.

I'd like to think MacBook is still more open than other Apple devices!

Laptops are generally very closed systems, the only really "open" Apple devices are probably iMacs.

handy
May 26th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Laptops are generally very closed systems, the only really "open" Apple devices are probably iMacs.

iMacs are worse than most notebooks when it comes to accessing the internals. It's not that they are hard to get into & do what you have to, it is that it takes more time than doing it on a notebook.

Also, I think it was cascade9 made some good points in a previous post, I'd just add to that, that you can buy perfectly compatible RAM for Mac's much cheaper than from Apple, & also the HDDs if you want to upgrade it yourself at some point in the future.

I've found that Clonezilla is great for cloning multiple file systems on a Mac drive set up for dual booting & running fat32, HFS+, Ext3, JFS.

NCLI
May 26th, 2010, 12:43 PM
iMacs are worse than most notebooks when it comes to accessing the internals. It's not that they are hard to get into & do what you have to, it is that it takes more time than doing it on a notebook.

Also, I think it was cascade9 made some good points in a previous post, I'd just add to that, that you can buy perfectly compatible RAM for Mac's much cheaper than from Apple, & also the HDDs if you want to upgrade it yourself at some point in the future.

I've found that Clonezilla is great for cloning multiple file systems on a Mac drive set up for dual booting & running fat32, HFS+, Ext3, JFS.

Really? I've read some very positive reviews of how easy it is to access the internals of newer iMacs.

handy
May 26th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Really? I've read some very positive reviews of how easy it is to access the internals of newer iMacs.

I didn't say it was hard. It is just more time consuming, as after you pull the plasti-glass screen off with a suction cup, you have to undo 12 x T9 torx screws that hold the aluminium cover in place, (obvious where they are once the plasti-glass is removed) & don't forget to remove the screw that holds the RAM cover panel on or you can't rotate the iMac aluminium fascia cover to remove it from the machine.

Then you have to undo a couple of even smaller T6 torx screws that hold the display data cable to the main circuit board. Wiggle the plug out gently.

Then another 8 x T6 torx have to come out & 4 or 5 (can't remember) cables have to be unplugged so you can remove the display panel.

I didn't disconnect a ribbon cable from the display panel, as (with the iMac laying on its back on a table) I could lift the display panel up from the side at the bottom edge of the computer (the edge that is normally closest to your desk) & open it out like a page in a book resting it behind the top side of the computer on the table. (I hope that was understandable? lol).

After that it is relatively easy to R&R the HDD or the optical drive if necessary & then put it all back together again.

It surely is a whole lot quicker to replace a HDD or optical drive in a notebook, let alone the average desktop/tower PC.

bashveank
May 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM

It's pretty easy to open up any Mac. Slightly more complicated than other computers, but still pretty easy. (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/Mac)
The iMac is probably the most complicated though.

Dysphoria
May 26th, 2010, 05:22 PM
There is another option of course, you can run OS X on a regular PC as well. Although technically it is illegal to run OS X on non-Mac hardware, it is easier than you would think.

I have a dual boot myself, Lucid and OS X leopard, and though it took quite a lot of hacking around before I was able to install OS X and get everything to work properly, it now works just like on a regular Mac and I do enjoy working with it a lot.

It also saved me a hell of a lot of money ;)

Dharmachakra
May 27th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Yes, let's do that ;)

So you're strongest argument is that you can buy OS X separately and give yourself a headache trying to get everything to work properly on your computer.

They may be slightly overpriced, but nearly as much as some claim.

kpholmes
May 27th, 2010, 03:01 AM
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTING AN IMAC.
If you want a mac, get a macbook pro.

best advice right here. keep the linux desktop.

handy
May 27th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Boy some rubbish gets thrown out by people who think that they know something, whenever there is any kind of topic where people can get on their chauvinistic high horses & hit other people with their own personal ignorance!

On the whole it is tragic (world affairs) on a forum at least it is usually quite funny, though sometimes it's sad...

kpholmes
May 27th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Boy some rubbish gets thrown out by people who think that they know something, whenever there is any kind of topic where people can get on their chauvinistic high horses & hit other people with their own personal ignorance!

On the whole it is tragic (world affairs) on a forum at least it is usually quite funny, though sometimes it's sad...

get off your high horse, i speak from experience.

i have a 27" imac, i liked it alot the first month but ive had it since january and now i just miss using linux, i use it on the server side but i miss the desktop. ive had a macbook since last year and use it for when i go to school, and its great there! but if you enjoy using linux on a daily basis like me, then get a macbook and use it when u need to do mac things.

TheNerdAL
May 27th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I tried Windows, I tried Linux. I tried Mac but only at the store, I want to try it like for a few months and see how it is since I'm a neek. (nerd+geek)

tubezninja
May 27th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Is a matter of taste.

Don't criticize his, and no one will criticize yours.

Can be bought for ~40 USD and installed on any PC

Uh, no.

, or you can download a Mac lookalike package for linux. Besides, linux is free, and many prefer it ;)

Evidently, not enough to make a dent in mac sales. :)

TheNerdAL
May 27th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I don't like copying another OS using Linux.

handy
May 27th, 2010, 03:51 AM
get off your high horse, i speak from experience.

i have a 27" imac, i liked it alot the first month but ive had it since january and now i just miss using linux, i use it on the server side but i miss the desktop. ive had a macbook since last year and use it for when i go to school, and its great there! but if you enjoy using linux on a daily basis like me, then get a macbook and use it when u need to do mac things.

The OP says that he has a specific graphic job that he wants to do. Under such circumstances the most powerful machine, that is the best cooled & has the largest screen would be ideal. So that basically rules out notebooks to start with. If we are talking Apple machinery then the iMac is the next step.

As previously mentioned we have had 2x iMacs in the house for about 2.5 years & they are fine & I use Arch Linux on mine 99% of the time.

When it comes to telling other people what they should use, you should take into consideration that their needs may be completely different than your own, otherwise your own ideas about what you think that they should be doing will be completely invalid.

Dharmachakra
May 27th, 2010, 04:08 AM
So that basically rules out notebooks to start with.

No, it basically doesn't. I have two friends living in my dorm who do pretty intense editing comfortably on their 17" MBP's. It may not be ideal, but suggesting a notebook is perfectly fine.

witeshark17
May 27th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I'm quite sure you'll love OS X... You may wanna keep in mind the Mac desktops make some noticable heat. :popcorn:

handy
May 27th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I'm quite sure you'll love OS X... You may wanna keep in mind the Mac desktops make some noticable heat. :popcorn:

If I shut the door, my iMac (plus the old PIII IPCop box) helps keep my office warm in winter, if it gets really cold I turn on the Athlon64 3500+ box. ;)

Reminds me of that old band called Three Dog Night...

KiwiNZ
May 27th, 2010, 06:38 AM

They do ???????????

No more that any of my other PC.s

aysiu
May 27th, 2010, 06:46 AM
They do ???????????

No more that any of my other PC.s
They do.

I could fry an egg on my Macbook Pro.

handy
May 27th, 2010, 06:53 AM
I guess that could be a reason for the aluminium cases, they act as a heat sink.

[Edit:] I just thought that perhaps Apple should market the Macbook Pro with a non-stick Teflon coating.

Untitled_No4
May 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM
If you want an iMac it's your decision and I don't understand why you're looking for the community's approval. My only real experience with Macs is from about 15 years ago so I have no advice here.

What I do think you need to consider is your "reason" to get an iMac, and that's creating a cartoon show. It sounds to me, and I might be wrong, that you have no experience in creating such a show and you expect a Mac to make up for the lack of experience and knowledge, and I don't think that is the case since there are no short-cuts.
A good friend of mine is an animator (who incidentally won some important awards) and I think it's not the OS he uses that makes his animation but the hard work he put learning the trade and a lot of determination. By the way, he and the people in his studio all work on Windows machines. I've never asked him why, but I'm sure that if he thought that Macs are better for his animation he would use Macs.

In other words, if you want an iMac just because you fancy it, get it. I know I like the way they look and I like their spec but I don't particularly like the company that makes them and for that reason I'm not getting one (but that might change, we humans are fickle).

Merk42
May 27th, 2010, 01:36 PM
<snip>
What I do think you need to consider is your "reason" to get an iMac, and that's creating a cartoon show. It sounds to me, and I might be wrong, that you have no experience in creating such a show and you expect a Mac to make up for the lack of experience and knowledge, and I don't think that is the case since there are no short-cuts.
A good friend of mine is an animator (who incidentally won some important awards) and I think it's not the OS he uses that makes his animation but the hard work he put learning the trade and a lot of determination. By the way, he and the people in his studio all work on Windows machines. I've never asked him why, but I'm sure that if he thought that Macs are better for his animation he would use Macs.
<snip>

+1

This is what I was saying earlier.

Dixon Bainbridge
May 27th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Another successful thread about Apple on these forums. Can't wait for the next one.
:P

McRat
May 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM
They do.

I could fry an egg on my Macbook Pro.

We have the 13" aluminum MacBook Pro. It doesn't get very hot for a notebook. Certainly not as hot as a HP, Acer, or Dell.

But I've yet to see any notebook that doesn't get uncomfortable if it sits on your lap for 30 minutes. The MBP is no different in that regard. 60 watts of power is like putting a lightbulb on your lap.

aysiu
May 27th, 2010, 05:56 PM
We have the 13" aluminum MacBook Pro. It doesn't get very hot for a notebook. Certainly not as hot as a HP, Acer, or Dell.

But I've yet to see any notebook that doesn't get uncomfortable if it sits on your lap for 30 minutes. The MBP is no different in that regard. 60 watts of power is like putting a lightbulb on your lap.
I think it really depends on the model.

I'm using an older 2007-2008 Macbook Pro (version 3,1), and, as I said before, you can fry an egg on it (though I haven't tried).

My wife has a newer 2010 Macbook Pro (13" unibody), and it is the coolest-staying laptop I've ever seen.

All laptops emit heat, but there are definitely varying degrees of heat. I would say our old Dell laptop (from 2003) emits a moderate amount of heat. If you put it on your lap, it feels warm but doesn't burn you. My HP Mini emits a lot of heat. It feels hot, not just warm, to the touch. You cannot fry an egg on it, though. My Macbook Pro is extremely hot. After ten or twenty minutes of use, you cannot comfortable touch the surface next to the trackpad without having to quickly retract your hand (unless you have very thick callouses). My wife's Macbook Pro on the other hand barely gets warm, even after hours of use.

So I'm not saying all Macbooks are hot. But to say they all run coolly because of some superior engineering is falsely simplistic. It seems to me Apple has vastly improved its temperature control with the latest unibody laptops, but a laptop from even two years ago runs extremely hot. Yes, extremely. Not just warm.

aysiu
May 27th, 2010, 05:56 PM

I think it really depends on the model.

I'm using an older 2007-2008 Macbook Pro (version 3,1), and, as I said before, you can fry an egg on it (though I haven't tried).

My wife has a newer 2010 Macbook Pro (13" unibody), and it is the coolest-staying laptop I've ever seen.

All laptops emit heat, but there are definitely varying degrees of heat. I would say our old Dell laptop (from 2003) emits a moderate amount of heat. If you put it on your lap, it feels warm but doesn't burn you. My HP Mini emits a lot of heat. It feels hot, not just warm, to the touch. You cannot fry an egg on it, though. My Macbook Pro is extremely hot. After ten or twenty minutes of use, you cannot comfortable touch the surface next to the trackpad without having to quickly retract your hand (unless you have very thick callouses). My wife's Macbook Pro on the other hand barely gets warm, even after hours of use.

So I'm not saying all Macbooks are hot. But to say they all run coolly because of some superior engineering is falsely simplistic. It seems to me Apple has vastly improved its temperature control with the latest unibody laptops, but a laptop from even two years ago runs extremely hot. Yes, extremely. Not just warm.

NCLI
May 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM
So you're strongest argument is that you can buy OS X separately and give yourself a headache trying to get everything to work properly on your computer.

They may be slightly overpriced, but nearly as much as some claim.

No, I'm sorry if that's how it came out. My strongest argument is that OSX isn't superior to your average Linux distro, and that Gnome can be configured to look exactly like it.

It's pretty easy to open up any Mac. Slightly more complicated than other computers, but still pretty easy. (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/Mac)
The iMac is probably the most complicated though.

I would have thought it to be the easiest :confused:

Anyway, I stand corrected.

[...]
In other words, if you want an iMac just because you fancy it, get it.[...]

[/THREAD]

aysiu
May 27th, 2010, 06:30 PM
My strongest argument is that OSX isn't superior to your average Linux distro, Neither is superior. They are different. I've used both extensively, and each has its own pros and cons. OS X is superior in some ways and inferior in other ways.
and that Gnome can be configured to look exactly like it. So you can't tell the difference between these two images? I can tell immediately which one is Gnome and which one is OS X.

I've tried every single Mac-clone theme out there for Gnome and nothing comes close to the polish of OS X. If you don't like the look of OS X, that's fine. It's a matter of personal taste. But it's simply not true that Gnome can look exactly like OS X.

zekopeko
May 27th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Neither is superior. They are different. I've used both extensively, and each has its own pros and cons. OS X is superior in some ways and inferior in other ways. So you can't tell the difference between these two images? I can tell immediately which one is Gnome and which one is OS X.

I've tried every single Mac-clone theme out there for Gnome and nothing comes close to the polish of OS X. If you don't like the look of OS X, that's fine. It's a matter of personal taste. But it's simply not true that Gnome can look exactly like OS X.

I absolutely agree with you. OSX (from my limited time using it) is EXTREMELY polished. 100s of little thing that add to the user experience. One huge plus for OSX is that they have a great framework for developing apps and good UI guidelines that OSX application developers follow. Using OSX apps is a pleasure.

I'm greatly pleased that our Ubuntu overlords are trying to create an OS that is on par with OSX. We need designers and usability experts if FOSS is to compete in the consumer market. And that is exactly what Canonical is pushing for.

handy
May 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM
OS X, is the best system that I have seen for people that just want to get a job done, as it doesn't get in your way, its simplicity/consistency makes it the easiest to learn, it has no need for virus-malware protection & there are high quality industry standard applications available for it.

That said, I still personally don't like using OS X, but that is just personal taste & has very little to do with the pragmatics of using OS X.

aysiu
May 28th, 2010, 02:26 AM
OS X, is the best system that I have seen for people that just want to get a job done, as it doesn't get in your way, its simplicity/consistency makes it the easiest to learn, it has no need for virus-malware protection & there are high quality industry standard applications available for it. I agree with you that it's easy to learn and simple, but it does often get in my way, actually--the simple lack of cut and paste via the GUI, for example. (I can give many more examples if you want.)

handy
May 28th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I agree with you that it's easy to learn and simple, but it does often get in my way, actually--the simple lack of cut and paste via the GUI, for example. (I can give many more examples if you want.)

I agree, it really does need some changes made to long standing problems, (don't they all?) but overall it is the winner for those that want it easy, reliable & secure enough to not require the installation of added protection from 3rd parties.