PDA

View Full Version : CLI bash question

AstroLlama
May 25th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I've been trying to learn more about command line scripting, and i'm being put to the test now for a simple picture file resize and rename. this is what I have so far:

for i in 'ls'; do convert -resize 100x100 $i $i_th; done

This will take each item in ls and resize it to 100 px then append _th to the name.

I'd also like to append consecutive numbers to the file names, any ideas on how to go about it?

BoneKracker
May 25th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I haven't tested this.
for file in $(ls); do
convert -resize 100x100 "$file" "${file}_$((++i))"
done

geirha
May 25th, 2010, 10:39 PM
i=0
for f in ./*.png; do
convert -resize 100x100 "$f" "${f%.png}_th$((i++)).png"
done

http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/030
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide

BoneKracker
May 26th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I misunderstood "_th"; I thought that was a placeholder for the index number. Nicely done.

Okay, now make it work the subdirectories as well, renaming only writable image files, but not attempting to rename non-writable files, non-image files, or directories.

I think we'll be back to using find. :P

geirha
May 26th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Not necessarily. Bash 4 (Ubuntu 9.10 and newer ships bash 4) has globstar.

shopt -s globstar
for f in ./**/*.png; do ...

BoneKracker
May 26th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Not necessarily. Bash 4 (Ubuntu 9.10 and newer ships bash 4) has globstar.

shopt -s globstar
for f in ./**/*.png; do ...

That's a great feature, and I'm a believer in always preferring shell features and builtins if they can do the job. But what about "...renaming only writable image files, but not attempting to rename non-writable files, non-image files, or directories."

I don't believe that expression prevents the renaming of directories, attempts to rename non-writable files, or images of types other than png.

geirha
May 26th, 2010, 06:59 AM
That's a great feature, and I'm a believer in always preferring shell features and builtins if they can do the job. But what about "...renaming only writable image files, but not attempting to rename non-writable files, non-image files, or directories."

You can rename the file regardless of whether it is writable or not. It only depends on whether the directory containing the file is writable, and of course, in the case of convert, it needs to be readable. You'll just get an error message about such files though, and nothing will happen to them. The loop will continue to the next files.

non-image-files. If you have a file with a .png extension that is not a png image, does it matter? convert will just error out on that one file, and the loop continues on to the next.

I don't believe that expression prevents the renaming of directories, attempts to rename non-writable files, or images of types other than png.

If you have a directory with a .png extension, it will be matched too. But again, convert will just error out and the loop continues to the next one. Alternatively you can add a

[[ -f $f ]] || continue at the start of the loop to skip non-regular files.

By my experience you usually have one type of image you'll want to do this with, but you can always add more extensions. extglob helps with that

shopt -s extglob globstar
i=0
for f in ./**/*.@(png|jpg|jpeg|gif); do
[[ -f $f ]] || continue
ext=${f##*.}
convert ... "$f" "${f%.$ext}_th$((i++)).$ext"
done

BoneKracker
May 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM
shopt -s extglob globstar
i=0
for f in ./**/*.@(png|jpg|jpeg|gif); do
[[ -f $f ]] || continue
ext=${f##*.}
convert ... "$f" "${f%.$ext}_th$((i++)).$ext"
done

I think we may have a final product! :)

No, no... wait. It should not assume the files are in $PWD. It should take the directory as an argument.

Btw: I'm glad you demonstrated extglob. I have had bash-4 on several of my systems for quite a while now, but I've not really investigated many of the new features.

geirha
May 26th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Actually, extglob has been around since bash2, globstar is pretty new though.

http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/061
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/glob

BoneKracker
May 26th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the tips.