PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unattended-upgrades for non-security updates

rayrayyy
May 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I've recently installed the unattended-upgrades package on a few Ubuntu 9.04 servers, and it's working great to automatically install security upgrades. However, is there a way to have non-security upgrades automatically installed as well? The README for unattended-upgrades says it'll do security ones only.

My main goal is to have all package upgrades be installed unattended except for kernel and libc upgrades (I want to do those manually on my own time). I guess I could write a script that does 'apt-show-versions -u' to get a list of upgradable packages and then do 'apt-get install' on the packages if their names don't match linux-server, linux-image-server, or libc*, but I was hoping there's an easier way to accomplish this.

I've looked at 'aptitude safe-upgrade -y', but I think that'll install kernel and libc upgrades.

cariboo
May 25th, 2010, 11:24 PM
On 9.04 all the updates are security updates, there are no new packages available.

rayrayyy
May 26th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Right now I'm seeing that the byobu package is upgradeable, and it's a non-security update:

$ apt-show-versions -u
byobu/jaunty upgradeable from 2.75-0ubuntu1~ppa3 to 2.76-0ubuntu1~ppa2
libc6/jaunty-security upgradeable from 2.9-4ubuntu6.1 to 2.9-4ubuntu6.2
libc6-dev/jaunty-security upgradeable from 2.9-4ubuntu6.1 to 2.9-4ubuntu6.2

My unattended-upgrades cron job is correctly skipping these because byobu is non-security, and I've blacklisted libc upgrades. So what I was looking for was some unattended way to upgrade byobu and any other non-security updates.

I'll just write a script to do this for now until I find some easier way.

nanonils
January 29th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Working now: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1401845
This took me for ever to figure out as a noob so I figured I could as well point other old/cold threads to the above one.
Thanks!