PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dell boot problem

Bert1e
May 25th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Hello,
:( I have been using ubuntu but cannot get it to boot from the cd-rom drive on a dell optiplex gx 520 I recently obtained. It has p4 processor with 512 mbs ram and is preloaded with xp home which I want to keep. I cannot get the cd-rom drive to recognize the live ubuntu disc. It will not boot up from the drive on start up nor will it show ubuntu on the disc from "my computer" if I have xp running. I have tried changing bios settings to read cd rom as first boot but this does not seem to work. The optical drive reads xp disk ok and also will play music cd's Please help.

Arla
May 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Have you tried other CD's?

Sounds to me like one of two things, either the CD is corrupt/invalid/bad or your CD drive is bad, assuming other CD's work just fine, I'd go with the first assumption.

Bert1e
May 25th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Hi arla,

The disc loaded fine on an older computer. the drive reads cd,s ok as I can play music using it and view files on xp disk. it just will not read ubuntu disk

Arla
May 25th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Best advice I can give, try burning a fresh copy (preferably on that computer).

I know in the past (and I'm thinking probably 15 years ago here, so things may be totally different now) sometimes what one CD drive wrote, another couldn't read.

I'd recommend a CD-R (vs RW) because they generally are more compatible with everything.

The Real Dave
May 25th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I've had older drives which complained about having a CD+R as opposed to a CD-R. Try different disks, burn off at lowest possible speed, and ensure that your computer can boot from your CD drive.

Arla
May 25th, 2010, 11:46 PM
The booting part, at this point I'd be less concerned about, until you can get a disc you can read in windows the booting part isn't even a question really (at least in my mind).

Bert1e
May 27th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys, It could be +/- conflict. I will try burning a new disk or/and transfer drive from the other computer. I think Arla is right about windows recognizing files on disk first. Will be a few days as extremely busy at present, and it is not my only computer.

Thanks again, will post results

obscurant1st
May 27th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Or you can try one more thing, why dont you press escape while booting, which will show up the menu of devices from which it can boot, it always includes the cd/dvd and harddisk, also usb if it supports usb booting.

try it.
and when the menu pops up select the cd/dvd drive on which you hv inserted ubuntu cd.

In lots of computer models, this boot menu button used to be ESC , but in some cases it may change,