PDA

View Full Version : Wipe everything off a computer without wiping the OS. (windows)

dragos240
May 25th, 2010, 07:50 PM
We found a used laptop on the side of the road. In near perfect condition. However there are files all over the place, and I need to get them cleaned up. I don't need anything except the OS for the rest of my family. There are lots of programs on there, some of them won't get off because of broken links (the previous users deleted the files manually). And the OS is computer specific. While it is windows, it's tablet edition for some reason. Anyway, know any quick way to do this? Everything except the system files?

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 07:52 PM
We found a used laptop on the side of the road. In near perfect condition. However there are files all over the place, and I need to get them cleaned up. I don't need anything except the OS for the rest of my family. There are lots of programs on there, some of them won't get off because of broken links (the previous users deleted the files manually). And the OS is computer specific. While it is windows, it's tablet edition for some reason. Anyway, know any quick way to do this? Everything except the system files?

So essentially your wanting to know what folders you can safely clear out?

dragos240
May 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
So essentially your wanting to know what folders you can safely clear out?

More like a cd image that does this automatically, but that works too I suppose.

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM
More like a cd image that does this automatically, but that works too I suppose.

What brand of windows? XP, Vista/7, is it based?

CharlesA
May 25th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I don't know of anything that'll do that automagically.

What OS is on it now?

dragos240
XP tablet edition.

CharlesA
I would just wipe the drive with dban and then install an OS on it, but that's just me. :)

XP Tablet edition, Uhm. I don't think it's possible tbh. You'd have to clean out the registry and the file system manually. :(

EDIT: I did find this: http://www.revouninstaller.com/

But it's not free.

KiwiNZ
May 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Have you reported it found to the authorities ? As finding does not make ownership.

Random_Dude
Are you sure it's not lost? I mean, nobody would be stupid enough to abandon a laptop with a working OS and probably personal files.

skarme
Why don't you format the hard drive and install the OS using the Setup CD. You have a pretty clean situation.

dragos240
May 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Are you sure it's not lost? I mean, nobody would be stupid enough to abandon a laptop with a working OS and probably personal files.

Hmm.... It was on the side of the road with a free sign on it, 2 other desktop computers, and a keyboard.

CharlesA
May 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hmm.... It was on the side of the road with a free sign on it, 2 other desktop computers, and a keyboard.

O_o

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 08:02 PM

Don't be too sure there are people who just toss out old computers when they get a new one, it might be virus invested which might be the reason they tossed it in the first place. Yes, people can be that stupid. NEVER under estimate just how stupid people can be. Or most cases ignorant.

dragos240
May 25th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Besides the battery was dead. And the free sign as a dead giveaway.

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Besides the battery was dead. And the free sign as a dead giveaway.

Whats the specs?

Random_Dude
May 25th, 2010, 08:04 PM

I've lost a little more faith in humanity.
Why don't people just give them to charity or schools?

CharlesA
May 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM

"too much work" probably. =/

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM

They probably didn't want to be cruel, giving windows xp to children, how evil.

dragos240
May 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Whats the specs?
AMD Athlon XP-M processor.
40 gb of HD space.
512mb ram.
1024x768 screen
Swivel screen.
G wireless card
S-video output
DVD-RW drive.

lykwydchykyn
May 25th, 2010, 08:09 PM

She probably changed the locks on him and burned his clothes too, poor guy. Hell hath no fury...

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 08:09 PM
AMD Athlon XP-M processor.
40 gb of HD space.
512mb ram.
1024x768 screen
Swivel screen.
G wireless card
S-video output
DVD-RW drive.

Tryed Lucid on it yet (live-CD)?

dragos240
May 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Tryed Lucid on it yet (live-CD)?

I need to dual boot. My family needs windows.

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Did you at least get the recovery CD with it?

CharlesA
May 25th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Wow those are decent specs.

dragos240
May 25th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Did you at least get the recovery CD with it?

Nope, dead battery, and no charger. I had to buy a $70 laptop universal charger.

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Otherwise your only hope is buy windows xp,

<snip> Wrong link, that was to win7

Shpongle
May 25th, 2010, 08:23 PM
She probably changed the locks on him and burned his clothes too, poor guy. Hell hath no fury...

Lol

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Here we go this might work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Professional-Pro-SP3-FULL-NEW-/320513962511?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa01ef20f#ht_913wt_894

lykwydchykyn
May 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I'd download ccleaner, regclean, and cleanup! (you can find them all easily with google) and run all the cleanups they offer.

I'd also run spybot and malwarebytes.

To remove the registry entries for programs they deleted, you can do a couple of things:

- Manually edit the registry. Most programs put their registry settings in HKLM\Software\VendorName\ProgramName and HKCU\Software\VendorName\ProgramName for system-wide and user-specific settings, respectively.

- Use a tool like the unmaintained-but-still-useful "regcleaner" by Jouni Vuorio which allows you to delete registry data for specific software, and will run searches to clean your registry for bad file references and so forth.

Next, if you intend to run XP on this for the long haul, I'd recommend using a keyfinder to obtain the installed license key, then obtain a copy of the install media if you can. Sooner or later you'll need it for something (especially if you get a bad malware infection, corrupt RAM, or bad sectors).

Good luck!

dragos240
May 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I guess I'll just do it manually.

QIII
May 25th, 2010, 08:27 PM

If it was anywhere near a college campus, perhaps it's

"Honest, Dr. Smith. I had the work done, but my roommate did something with my computer!"

dragos240
May 25th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I'm not reinstalling. There will be missing driver galore.

FuturePilot
May 25th, 2010, 08:32 PM

You'd be surprised. Got a computer from the garbage once. No one bothered to delete anything.

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Step One: Install Avast, Antivira, or AVG. As well as Threatfire, spybot, or whatever. Run them.

Step two: Remove all unwanted programs, if you can't from add/remove then just go into Program files and remove them.

Step Three: Install CCleaner and run it to clean the registry and your files out, you may want to enable more then the default options for this time around. Also later you can use CCleaner to clearout free space so if authorities get a hold of it for whatever reason your not hit with charges related to the old crap in freespace.

Step 4: Remove any entries you find in registry like lykwydchykyn suggested. DO note however not all registry entires for programs are obvious some store things in reg with a number entry, not much can be done about that I suppose though.

Step 5: Create a new admin + user accounts and delete the olds ones (including their data).

Step 6: Log into the new admin account, install a firewall (such as comodo, or whatever.)

Step 7: Install prefered apps...

and so on.

(Well you might want to first run clamav from a live-cd to see what it can clean up, then continue to step 1 for more certainty)

pwnst*r
May 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Found a laptop on the side of the road.

Lol.

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Found a laptop on the side of the road.

Lol.

It was traveling without its owner.

CharlesA
May 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM
But did it have a leash?

Frogs Hair
May 25th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Could have been left on the top of someones car. I've seen people do that with a bag of groceries more than once.

lostinxlation
May 25th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Must be a rich neighborhood.

perspectoff
May 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Why don't you format the hard drive and install the OS using the Setup CD. You have a pretty clean situation.

Yeah. Perhaps the guy reported it to Microsoft so that when you try to do an upgrade and log in to Microsoft to do so, it will record your IP address and report it to the authorities for you.

Or were you thinking that the COA would also transfer to you just because you found it?

Keith_K
May 25th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I haven't used in it quite some time but Iolo's system mechanic (http://www.iolo.com/system-mechanic/standard/download.aspx) used to do a pretty decent job in cleanups and they have a free trial download.

doas777
May 25th, 2010, 09:52 PM
wipe it. you can never be sure that it is safe anyway.

if you can get a disk, the serial on the bottom should be enough to cover your licensing.

Frogs Hair
May 25th, 2010, 09:58 PM
have you reported it found to the authorities ? As finding does not make ownership.
+1

dragos240
May 25th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Again, it had a free sign on it.

Directive 4
May 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Have you reported it found to the authorities ? As finding does not make ownership.

i'll refer you to the case of

finder's vs keepers
ref 1974mer45892.153

clearly states...

doas777
May 25th, 2010, 10:13 PM
maritime salvage tradition being what it is and all...

Frogs Hair
May 25th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Again, it had a free sign on it.

I didn't know that , so, it was placed on the curb as trash ?

pwnst*r
May 25th, 2010, 11:44 PM
she's kidding.

Frogs Hair
May 26th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Glary Utilities free version has a military quality file shredder , registry cleaner ,and a better uninstall manager than Windows has .

dragos240
May 26th, 2010, 02:17 AM
she's kidding.

Who's she?

wilee-nilee
May 26th, 2010, 02:52 AM
If you can get a ISO or cd of the xp tablet you can probably fix it with this.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897&pgno=1&queryText=&isPrev=

Personally if was me I would wipe it clean and install a new operating system, you don't know what it's been used for or if it has rootkits or keyloggers, some of which you just can't find.

Using somebody discarded computer with the OS they had is not a very good idea especially windows.

julio_cortez
May 26th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Personally if was me I would wipe it clean and install a new operating system, you don't know what it's been used for or if it has rootkits or keyloggers, some of which you just can't find.
Amen to that. If you want to be sure that the system is clean and "stable" (even if Windows can difficultly be defined really stable), you'd better perform a format and reinstall.

Removing some virii can render Windows really unstable, and I don't know how much useful it will be after that.

cascade9
May 26th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Amen to that. If you want to be sure that the system is clean and "stable" (even if Windows can difficultly be defined really stable), you'd better perform a format and reinstall.

Removing some virii can render Windows really unstable, and I don't know how much useful it will be after that.

I'd gop for a format/reinstall, well, if there is acess to the original install dsics. I wouldnt be shelling out on a new licence.

I'm found you can remove almost all viruses from windows without any serious problems. I perfer the format/reinstall though, its faster in a lot of cases, and then you arent dealing with gawds-only-know-what is the regisry.

BTW- viruses, not virii.'Virii' is bad latin, at best...and the closest word that does exist in latin is 'viri', which is (short version) 'male'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_form_of_words_ending_in_-us#Use_of_the_form_virii

http://web.archive.org/web/20040208152350/www.perl.com/language/misc/virus.html

julio_cortez
May 26th, 2010, 12:25 PM
BTW- viruses, not virii.'Virii' is bad latin, at best...and the closest word that does exist in latin is 'viri', which is (short version) 'male'.
Well, thank you. I read it somewhere (don't remember where to be honest) and thought it was correct. If I don't remember wrong you're right also for the Latin word (if I don't go wrong venenum was used instead of the lacking forms of virus).

Well, from now on I'll use viruses instead (on a different note, I got surprised also to hear people talk about stadiums when I was quite sure it was stadia before I got told both could be used, so I thought this was the case too).

dragos240
May 26th, 2010, 12:29 PM
If you can get a ISO or cd of the xp tablet you can probably fix it with this.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897&pgno=1&queryText=&isPrev=

Using somebody discarded computer with the OS they had is not a very good idea especially windows.

Again, my family "needs" windows. And it's for the whole family.

wilee-nilee
May 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM

I understand, I would just be sure to protect your family. I'm not suggesting you not run windows.

amitabhishek
May 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Once a mod always a mod ;)!

wilee-nilee
May 26th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I agree with KiwiNZ, I would even if the ownership was not found turn it over to a place that recycles computers, but I can afford to.
I don't think it is a Mod attitude, it is what ethically should be done. If you go through life taking what you want without considering the consequences of taking without giving it is a shallow life that you will have. Karma is a interesting idea but in physics and biology for every loss there is a gain, these are known facts. I don't think it is all that abstract to consider living a personal life with this in consideration.

That was my ethics 101 rant thanks for participating. ;)

cascade9
May 26th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Well, thank you. I read it somewhere (don't remember where to be honest) and thought it was correct. If I don't remember wrong you're right also for the Latin word (if I don't go wrong venenum was used instead of the lacking forms of virus).

Well, from now on I'll use viruses instead (on a different note, I got surprised also to hear people talk about stadiums when I was quite sure it was stadia before I got told both could be used, so I thought this was the case too).

No problem.

Stadia is the correct latin form, but both are used in modern english ;)

I agree with KiwiNZ, I would even if the ownership was not found turn it over to a place that recycles computers, but I can afford to.

If 'ownership' was a problem, handing it over to another place (for payment or for free) just gets you the potential to be deeper in trouble.

If they really 'need' windows, you could always just, you know, pay for an install disc? That is if you dont want the fun and games of cleaning out an unknown computer.

dragos240
May 26th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Yet again, it had a free sign on it.

Pogeymanz
May 26th, 2010, 02:06 PM

I don't want to put my nose where it doesn't belong, but if you found this computer and you're the one who is going to fix it up, why isn't it yours to do with what you please?

Unless you are just being generous and letting your family use it as well, for which I'd give you a pat on the back.

dragos240
May 26th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I don't want to put my nose where it doesn't belong, but if you found this computer and you're the one who is going to fix it up, why isn't it yours to do with what you please?

Unless you are just being generous and letting your family use it as well, for which I'd give you a pat on the back.

It's the latter. I found it, I have no personal use for it, and my family's main computer stopped working. I'm letting everyone use it :).

sydbat
May 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM
My 2 questions are -

1) You say it had a "free" sign on it, but are you really sure it was? By that I mean, someone else made a joke that it could be the stuff thrown out by an upset girl/boy friend and you just happened by at the right (wrong??) time. It might still belong to someone and they have filed a report with your local police and you are in possession of "stolen property". It IS possible.

2) What specific things does your family "need" Windows for? This is not a flame question, although someone will definitely interpret it this way. I ask because, if this tablet is now legally yours (see above question), it has nothing on it that you or your family has put onto it and is basically a "clean slate", notwithstanding the potential of malware previously discussed.

So how does this make it essential for your family to have Windows on this found object? It cannot play Windows games because that OS is not designed for games, nor is the tablet. And depending on what software is, or is not, on the tablet, it could be totally useless until software useful to your family is loaded onto it.

If it is simply a matter of using it to get online and check email, or to create word documents, Windows is not a specific need. If it is because you/they have certain software that will only run on Windows, that could be a reason, but it depends on whether that software would run on a Windows tablet OS.

detroit/zero
May 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I'd download ccleaner, regclean, and cleanup! (you can find them all easily with google) and run all the cleanups they offer.

I'd also run spybot and malwarebytes.

To remove the registry entries for programs they deleted, you can do a couple of things:

- Manually edit the registry. Most programs put their registry settings in HKLM\Software\VendorName\ProgramName and HKCU\Software\VendorName\ProgramName for system-wide and user-specific settings, respectively.

- Use a tool like the unmaintained-but-still-useful "regcleaner" by Jouni Vuorio which allows you to delete registry data for specific software, and will run searches to clean your registry for bad file references and so forth.

Next, if you intend to run XP on this for the long haul, I'd recommend using a keyfinder to obtain the installed license key, then obtain a copy of the install media if you can. Sooner or later you'll need it for something (especially if you get a bad malware infection, corrupt RAM, or bad sectors).

Good luck!
I'll second crap cleaner. It even has a decent registry cleaner built right in.

Run ccleaner, run the registry cleaner, give everything a once-over, defrag, call it good.

dragos240
May 26th, 2010, 05:32 PM
My 2 questions are -

1) You say it had a "free" sign on it, but are you really sure it was? By that I mean, someone else made a joke that it could be the stuff thrown out by an upset girl/boy friend and you just happened by at the right (wrong??) time. It might still belong to someone and they have filed a report with your local police and you are in possession of "stolen property". It IS possible.

2) What specific things does your family "need" Windows for? This is not a flame question, although someone will definitely interpret it this way. I ask because, if this tablet is now legally yours (see above question), it has nothing on it that you or your family has put onto it and is basically a "clean slate", notwithstanding the potential of malware previously discussed.

So how does this make it essential for your family to have Windows on this found object? It cannot play Windows games because that OS is not designed for games, nor is the tablet. And depending on what software is, or is not, on the tablet, it could be totally useless until software useful to your family is loaded onto it.

If it is simply a matter of using it to get online and check email, or to create word documents, Windows is not a specific need. If it is because you/they have certain software that will only run on Windows, that could be a reason, but it depends on whether that software would run on a Windows tablet OS.

My mom plays internet backgammon, and will only play windows backgammon. Rita (My mom's girlfriend), likes to play puzzle games on windows, however she has taken an interest in frozen bubble. And much of the family is confused as to what linux is. So dual boot is what I need. I would introduce linux to them, but mom is very closed minded.

I don't think the above happened, about a week later, everything is gone, but the free sign is still there. It seems other people have taken the rest of the stuff.

The Real Dave
May 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Dragos, CCleaner will help clear up temp files, start menus, all the kind of stuff. It'll clear your registry, and help you uninstall stuff. It's free, and you can grab a copy here (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner). It's the one thing I install on every Windows computer I have, simply for it's usefulness.

That, I don't know how well it'll play with Tablet Edition. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll be able to find a copy of XP Tablet Edition somewhere....

Not endorsing piracy though </disclaimer>

sydbat
May 26th, 2010, 06:02 PM
My mom plays internet backgammon, and will only play windows backgammon. Rita (My mom's girlfriend), likes to play puzzle games on windows, however she has taken an interest in frozen bubble. And much of the family is confused as to what linux is. So dual boot is what I need. I would introduce linux to them, but mom is very closed minded.

I don't think the above happened, about a week later, everything is gone, but the free sign is still there. It seems other people have taken the rest of the stuff.Thanks. I understand the "closed minded" part. And it has nothing to do with a stupid OS!

And it looks like you got yourself a free tablet. Enjoy it.

oldsoundguy
May 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM
The OS will also be on a separate hidden partition on the drive. Do some digging in Google and it will tell you how to copy that out so you can use it for a re install .. or you could just run the restore program and it will re-install the OS and remove everything else
(I get that a LOT .. somebody says "I restored my Windows cuz it was running like s*it and now none of my programs are there anymore! Can you find and put my programs back?" Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows.

detroit/zero
May 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I like how a lot of people keep telling him to wipe it, even though in the OP he said he couldn't.

I like how people keep telling him to put Linux on it, even though he said he wants to keep Windows.

I also like how people are challenging him to justify why he wants Windows on it, never mind that it's his choice to make and he has clearly made it, for reasons that should matter only to him.

The one's that make me want to throw up, though, are the people saying he should turn it in to "the authorities", despite numerous statements that it was on the side of the road with a bunch of other junk and a sign that read "free". Who are these "authorities" you people speak of? Why should "the authorities" get a free laptop out of the deal?

Crap Cleaner. Registry cleaner. Manually delete anything you don't want on there. Run a thorough AV/Spyware scan. Call it good.

dragos240
May 27th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Anyway, I got the thing cleared out. However, It won't boot any linux distro, from CD or usb, for both, it just gets stuck on "Ready" after the loading of vmlinuz and the initramfs. However I'm running memtest86+ on it. Hopefully it works! This is what the laptop is:
http://www.pencomputing.com/images/averatec_c3500.jpg

CharlesA
May 27th, 2010, 01:14 AM
interesting looking tablet. Looks kinda cool.