PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wireless tray icon is turning a wireless icon??

travlemon
May 25th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Hi everybody,

I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed on a laptop of mine, and also a desktop. On this laptop, it's a clean install and I'm having a weird issue with the panel on the top of the screen.

Sometimes when I start up the computer and login, I get two noticeable quirks. Instead of having the wireless icon in the tray next to the volume, I have two volume controls next to each other. The one icon, that takes place of the wireless icon, is not functional. The other volume icon functions as normal.

The other quirk is that my power button, used for choosing to logout, shutdown, etc, disappears. Instead, it shows two of my username next to each other (one is the legitimate one that lets you set your away status and such). And in place of the power button, is another username menu, but it is cut off by the edge of the screen and doesn't function.

Has anybody had this problem before? Is there some kind of package I can update or reinstall to try fixing this? Sometimes the power button will be fine, but the volume icon will still double up.

Thanks in advance!

Joe of loath
May 25th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Mine sometimes appear and disappear at random too, except they go blank or are replaced by white rectangles. It's not happened recently though, maybe an update fixed it?

travlemon
May 25th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Mine sometimes appear and disappear at random too, except they go blank or are replaced by white rectangles. It's not happened recently though, maybe an update fixed it?

You're lucky! Mine is still happening. In fact, I am staring at the double volume icons right now. None of this happens on my Ubuntu 10.04 desktop. I wonder what it could be.

travlemon
June 4th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Hi everybody,

I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed on a laptop of mine, and also a desktop. On this laptop, it's a clean install and I'm having a weird issue with the panel on the top of the screen.

Sometimes when I start up the computer and login, I get two noticeable quirks. Instead of having the wireless icon in the tray next to the volume, I have two volume controls next to each other. The one icon, that takes place of the wireless icon, is not functional. The other volume icon functions as normal.

The other quirk is that my power button, used for choosing to logout, shutdown, etc, disappears. Instead, it shows two of my username next to each other (one is the legitimate one that lets you set your away status and such). And in place of the power button, is another username menu, but it is cut off by the edge of the screen and doesn't function.

Has anybody had this problem before? Is there some kind of package I can update or reinstall to try fixing this? Sometimes the power button will be fine, but the volume icon will still double up.

Thanks in advance!

I have a feeling this one's too specific to my laptop, and not many people have even seen this issue before. Or at least don't have the exact same Gnome quirk as me. Anyway, it hasn't happened in a few days and a bunch of updates came through. I am going to assume the updates fixed it! I will marked this as solved. But feel free to post some info on the issue if you happen to know anything about it.

Thanks anyway!

sderrick
June 9th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Its happening on my laptop. 75% of the time I have garbled icons.

I thought it was the battery icon causing the problem?

10.04 i386 clean install

Scott