PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can i make 1 partition of 2?

Isidorito
May 25th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hi, i was making an upgrade of Ubuntu (9.04 to 10.04) from the CD and i made a mistake, and now i have 2 partition, 1 whit 300 GB of Ubuntu 9.04 and 1 whit 200 GB whit Ubuntu 10.04 but i just want the new version whit 500 GB.

Of course i can format mi HD, but i dont want to lose my files =)

Can you help me please?

Thanks a lot!

ronparent
May 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Use gparted from the live CD to delete the unwanted partition and then expand the remaining partition to fill the unallocated space? You gave little information but this is what I think you meant.

Isidorito
May 25th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Use gparted from the live CD to delete the unwanted partition and then expand the remaining partition to fill the unallocated space? You gave little information but this is what I think you meant.

If i do that, i will lose all the files in the unwanted partition, my problem was i just wanted to upgrade my ubuntu but i made a new partition, son, now i have not the info in my new folders

wilee-nilee
May 25th, 2010, 07:26 PM
If it really was 9.04 to 10.04 that was a impossible upgrade. So if you can shrink 9.04 and enlarge 10.04 then open the 9.04 partition from the home sidebar drag and drop what you need into 10.04. Then once you have everything moved delete 9.04 and expand 10.04.

Any partition resizing should be done with a live cd, and you will have to turn the swap off to do some of this resizing from the live cd.

If you can drag and drop before you re-size then just delete you will probably be better off. Also don't try to go to fast with the transference of stuff, or choose to move to much at one time.

Isidorito
May 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM
ok, im trying to do that, but i cant open the 9.04 partition, how can i acces?

wilee-nilee
May 26th, 2010, 01:53 AM
ok, im trying to do that, but i cant open the 9.04 partition, how can i acces?

What happens when you try to open that partition please give specific information.