PDA

View Full Version : Chrome for Linux comes out of beta!

Kragnerac
May 25th, 2010, 05:40 PM
http://chrome.blogspot.com/2010/05/new-chrome-stable-release-welcome-mac.html

In time for the next release of Ubuntu. :)

spupy
May 25th, 2010, 06:27 PM
What are the advantages of using Chrome over Chromium?

murderslastcrow
May 25th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Let's hope Maverick has the plans for freeware and commercial software sections enabled. I'd love to have World of Goo, Unreal Tournament, and DOOM 3 in there.

Oh crap! What happens when all the adult games come in!? D: Just gonna' put restrictions on our kid's PCs? (lol, I wouldn't, but I know a lot of you wouldn't want those kinds of games easily accessible... then again, all the alien killing stuff is free and RIGHT THERE as it is, today)

Wow, unexpected subject on a CHROME post! I'm glad for it- especially the Flash integration (I hope they integrate 64-bit Flash into it well, since that would mean less need for me to go through that whole mess.

Kragnerac
May 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM
What are the advantages of using Chrome over Chromium?

Chromium is the open source browser project Chrome is based on, more cutting-edge and developer-centric; IIRC there is no stable release of Chromium, only nightly builds and source code releases. Chrome, on the other hand, is intended for everyday usage.

98cwitr
May 25th, 2010, 08:27 PM
http://chrome.blogspot.com/2010/05/new-chrome-stable-release-welcome-mac.html

sweet, hopeful apt will just update us :)

alexan
May 25th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Support for webm/vp8?:confused:

libssd
May 25th, 2010, 08:40 PM
sweet, hopeful apt will just update us :)

If you’re already using Chrome for Windows, Mac or Linux, you’ll be auto-updated to this latest release soon. You can also try out these new features on our speedy browser now, by downloading Chrome from google.com/chrome.
I just started Update Manager, which was still referencing Chrome beta. After updating Chrome, "About Chrome" now says: 5.0.375.55 beta. Since the production announcement carries today's date, I'm willing to be patient and wait and see what happens.

wieman01
May 25th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Wow, it's fast, but ironically it crashed when I tried to access ubuntuforums.org. Funny.

Kimm
May 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Chromium is the open source browser project Chrome is based on, more cutting-edge and developer-centric; IIRC there is no stable release of Chromium, only nightly builds and source code releases. Chrome, on the other hand, is intended for everyday usage.

Sure there are stable releases of Chromium. There is a PPA for both the beta and daily channels of Chromium. The Beta channel generally provides the equivalent version to the current release of chrome. Right now for example, I have both the latest version of Chrome and Chromium installed from their respective Beta PPAs, both are version "5.0.375.55"

There are supposed to be some benefits of using Chrome, but I have yet to notice them.

mikewhatever
May 25th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Ah? The next Ubuntu release is still five months away, besides, Chrome could have been installed on Jaunty, Karmic and Lucid for months.

MichealH
May 25th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I agree mikewhatever If Chrome was going on It was bound to be on Lucid... Even if it was Beta what could stop Cannoncial there?

mikewhatever
May 25th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I agree mikewhatever If Chrome was going on It was bound to be on Lucid... Even if it was Beta what could stop Cannoncial there?

I suppose they thought Firefox was a good enough choice for Lucid. I think it is too. What's all the hype with javascript rendering? It really doesn't matter to me, probably because js is blocked globally. :P

proggy
May 25th, 2010, 11:23 PM
hmmm i had Chrome beta decided because of this thread to download the stable version but as you can see its missing the shutdown (X) and reduce (-)

hyperAura
May 25th, 2010, 11:32 PM
well today was the release date.. better give it a couple of weeks to see any problems that may arise..

McRat
May 25th, 2010, 11:46 PM
hmmm i had Chrome beta decided because of this thread to download the stable version but as you can see its missing the shutdown (X) and reduce (-)

For some strange reason the X is in the upper right like a MS application.

Your pic is missing the tab line and X control. Drag it down.

jrusso2
May 26th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Again it won't install on Mandriva due to unsatisfiable dependency.

coolbrook
May 26th, 2010, 01:14 AM
What's the version number you're seeing in 'About Chrome'?

I just retrieved google-chrome-beta_5.0.375.55-r47796_amd64.deb from apt.

Kragnerac
May 26th, 2010, 01:24 AM

5.0.375.55 is the latest stable version on Windows as well.

tmette
May 26th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Just in time. I just got my Ubuntu machine up and running! I love Chrome as a web browser.

coolbrook
May 26th, 2010, 01:29 AM
5.0.375.55 is the latest stable version on Windows as well.

I uninstalled the beta, and installed the .deb from Google, but it looks like it's the exact version number, so those looking for the stable version actually have it now in apt, despite the 'beta' label.

libssd
May 26th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I can hardly wait for my first "Aw snap" error message.

ryandtw
May 26th, 2010, 07:26 AM

And the Chromium equivalent is the version 6.0, but where is that on the Ubuntu Software Center?