PDA

View Full Version : Help with Design, Engineering, Architectural patterns Solving the big picture.

brian77095
May 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted some help in looking at the big picture. I have been programming for a while now and find myself wanting to take the next step.
There is a lot of help here on what language to start on and what is the best one to learn but, not many threads on how to approach the big problems or big picture.

As it stands I think of my self as someone who creates a picture from puzzle pieces all the pieces are here I just have to assemble them and fit them into place. I am looking for help direction really on how to start painting with a blank canvas.

I am currently reading...

Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software (ISBN 0-201-63361-2)

It has been very informative just looking for more...

Thanks for the help!!

TheUnwiseman
May 25th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Design Patterns is a great place to start learning more about big picture stuff. As a test for yourself, I'd recommend making some somewhat larger applications for your own personal use. Test your mettle, sort of.

brian77095
May 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM
That is what I am doing now. Although building larger more robust programs has helped a lot it seems I have learned a lot of what not to do rather than how to not end up end those types of places.

Also when starting out on a larger program for your self do you spec. it out completely or just sort of outline it out and fill in the details in your head as you go. I find the more detailed I make it the better off I am later on. This sometimes leads me to taking too long on planning instead of just getting something actually done.

PaulM1985
May 26th, 2010, 02:34 PM
This sometimes leads me to taking too long on planning instead of just getting something actually done.

You have to think of building a program as a complete development process. Planning is part of that development process, so you are completing work.

It is far better to plan out big projects rather than try to blindly code your way through. You may think that things are taking too long because you are planning, but when completing a large project, the total amount of time taken can be far larger for programs with no specification compared to programs with detailed specification, due to bad design decisions being made while coding.

Try researching UML for developing models for how your project will work.

Paul