PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VLC install from the source code...

ubun2warrior
May 25th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Hi

I just downloaded the vlc source from the vlc website. Then i went to the terminal, extracted the tar.bz file. After that i ran ./configure command. But it shows some error and the installation ends.

Please somebody guide me to install vlc manually from the terminal.

DrMelon
May 25th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Well, the error is there for a reason - tell us what the error is, then we might be able to help.

ubun2warrior
May 25th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hi
this is the error that i get
configure: error: Couldn't find DBus >= 1.0.0, install libdbus-dev ?

DrMelon
May 25th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Try installing libdbus-dev in Synaptic.

rob-ward
May 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I think if you run

sudo apt-get build-dep vlc

it should get all of the libraries that you will need to do a manual compile of VLC(or at least most of them)

ubun2warrior
May 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM
hi
while configuring there were many warnings (few listed below) and in the end the erroe message

configure: WARNING: new enough libcddb not found. CDDB access disabled
configure: WARNING: the dvb access module requires libdvbpsi

configure: WARNING: only static linking is available, you must provide a gme-tree
ERROR:-
configure: error: Could not find libmad on your system: you may get it from http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/. Alternatively you can use --disable-mad to disable the mad plugin.

ubun2warrior
May 25th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I installed the libdbus-dev from synaptics it did not work and i have posted the error above ..

vickystylton
May 25th, 2010, 01:55 PM
If nothing works for you, you could always try out the offline installer for VLC. Just google for more info.

ubun2warrior
May 27th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I tried to search for an offline installer for vlc. But they were all tarballs. I think i should be looking at a .deb package for ubuntu. So if you find any link please post it here.

Regards

ubun2warrior
May 27th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Can somebody post the full procedure to install vlc from source code.
Every time if i install ubuntu on somebody's machine they want their music and video files playing instantly.
So it would be great to have an offline player for ubuntu. VLC is great because it plays most of the file formats.
Any other player for UBUNTU would also be fine.

Zemblan
May 27th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Why is it necessary for you to install it from source? Very much more convenient to just install it from the repos:

sudo apt-get install vlc

If you want the most recent version have a look at this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1493653

The problem you are having with the configure script is that you have missing headers for particular dependencies (things required for vlc to compile and work). These can be found in the 'dev' packages. So if you open the Software Centre and search for 'libmad' in this case, there will be a package called 'libmad0-dev', install it and then run the configure script again. Chances are that it will keep on having different errors until you have installed all the dependencies.

This sort of problem is one reason why it is so much better to use the repositories than compiling from source, dependencies are resolved automatically, plus you get automatic upgrades etc.

Also you could run:

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras

This will install the codecs which will allow the default installed video player (Totem) to play most video formats.

ubun2warrior
May 28th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I agree that the repositories is an excellent way to install vlc. But just in case my internet happens to be down and i have to listen to a song or something on a newly installed ubuntu then how am i supposed to play the song or the movie.
I have found .deb packages for google chrome, adobe flash plugin, and a few more packages. And believe it is sometimes very great to have these packages handy.
Thank you for all your guidance and posts..
...I continue my search for offline installer for vlc

regards

Zemblan
May 28th, 2010, 01:31 PM
The files that are in the repositories, the '.deb' files, can be saved and installed when you like. They are 'offline installers', you only need to be online to download them, once you have them you can install them as often as you like on as many computers as you like. So long as you have the other ".debs" that they depend on too.
Alternatively you could research how to make your own, statically compiled, version of vlc.

You can find the deb file for vlc along with a list of its dependencies here:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/vlc

if you had all those, you could use the dpkg' command to install them as you liked.

Or you could use a distro which comes with media codecs already, like the Ubuntu based Linux Mint. Then you would have no worries about having to get codecs after a new install.

mac9416
May 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM
So long as you have the other ".debs" that they depend on too.

ubun2warrior can use Keryx (http://keryxproject.org) to download the correct .deb packages (dependencies and all) to install VLC. It takes several steps, but it will work.

Or you could use a distro which comes with media codecs already, like the Ubuntu based Linux Mint. Then you would have no worries about having to get codecs after a new install.

I also recommend Mint. Of course, if you want to install other applications offline, you'll still have to use Keryx, but at least codecs are not a problem.

imtiyaz
June 16th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Install VLC Media player offline in Ubuntu 8.10/9.04/9.10

By following procedure VLC will be installed in any computer/notebook without having any internet connection

First you need to download VLC offline installer from here (http://hacktolive.org/wiki/VLC_offline_installer_(Ubuntu))

Download VLC Offline installer for Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) Users from here (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/images/VLC_Offline_Installer_ubuntu_9.10.tar.gz)

Installation instructions

After downloading right-click on the file & click on "extract here".
A new folder will be created, double-click to open the new folder
Then double-click the 'install.sh' & select "run in terminal"
Enter your password if asked

smothpocket
August 6th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I know this issue was probably resolved by the offline installer, but figured I'd post the solution I found to the original problem for future reference to this thread.

When I installed libhal-dev it resolved the error message about libdbus-dev.

sudo apt-get install libhal-dev