PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can a USB startuop disk be updated ?

AM_SOS
May 25th, 2010, 11:40 AM
hi all,
i recently created a USB startup disk using the Ubuntu 9.10 Live CD.
I was able to boot using the USB disk (4 GB, 1 GB left for use with windows OS) and use the internet etc.
however when i ran the update i ran into problems. although all the updates downloaded easily the process got stuck at the installation stage. at one point i got an error message which said something about not being able to delete "windows resolution" ...
so-
can/should i update the USB startup disk after installing U 9.10 ?
and if this is successful is it a good idea to update the version to U 10.04 on the USB disk ?
thanks !

jimmers
May 25th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Hi,
I run Lucid on USB, and it works great, but I followed advice from other posts and switched off automatic updates, and have had no trouble.

It may or not work for, but the more you update the less room you will have on your drive I should imagine.

Luck

AM_SOS
May 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM
thanks jimmers!
i see the point about updating given the limited space available on a USB disk.
however, i have an 8 GB drive and there is a good amount of space to experiment with. so, is it possible to first install 9.10, get all the updates and then go for 10.04 using the update manager ?
can you please point out the other posts you mention which provided suggestions on updating the pen drive ...
thanks!