PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lucid screwed my Graphics up.

ThePinkWitch
May 25th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I recently installed Lucid after using Karmic since February and it hasn't gone well. My machine is running EXTREMELY slow and when I close a window it leaves parts of it on the screen. I can't use any effects or my machine is comatose. I had all the effects with Compiz and Emerald running with no problems before I upgraded. I posted on Installation and upgrades but haven't had any help with this so sorry for posting here as well. I'm a beginner so I don't know how to fix this stuff. oops I forgot, my graphics card is a Sapphire X1650 Pro, I have 2G RAM.

HELP?? ANYONE??

Peter09
May 25th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Sanity Check first:

Have you gone to system->admin->hardware drivers and checked for third party graphics drivers to load.

if no success

Try going to recovery mode and selecting the reconfigure graphics drivers option

if no success

post the output of the terminal command

lshw -C video

Mark Phelps
May 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM
my graphics card is a Sapphire X1650 Pro, I have 2G RAM.

There are no third-party drivers for this card that will work in recent Ubuntu versions. Sorry. This is one of the cards that ATI relegated to "legacy" status. The only drivers now are the open source drivers -- which are installed by default.

ThePinkWitch
May 28th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Sanity Check first:

Have you gone to system->admin->hardware drivers and checked for third party graphics drivers to load.

if no success

Try going to recovery mode and selecting the reconfigure graphics drivers option

if no success

post the output of the terminal command

lshw -C video

Thanks for the replies.This is the results of the code I typed in...

*-display:0
description: VGA compatible controller
product: RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series]
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: 9e
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=radeon latency=32 mingnt=8
resources: irq:24 memory:c0000000-cfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:9000(size=256) memory:d1000000-d100ffff memory:d0000000-d001ffff(prefetchable)
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Display controller
product: RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series]
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 0.1
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.1
version: 9e
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: cap_list
configuration: latency=32 mingnt=8
resources: memory:d1010000-d101ffff
kayte@SuperCow:~$

ThePinkWitch
May 28th, 2010, 09:20 AM
There are no third-party drivers for this card that will work in recent Ubuntu versions. Sorry. This is one of the cards that ATI relegated to "legacy" status. The only drivers now are the open source drivers -- which are installed by default.

Hi thanks for the reply..the card worked fine in Karmic. I only have problems since I updated to Lucid.

ThePinkWitch
May 31st, 2010, 04:56 AM
Can anyone help me with this? I tried the suggestions and it isn't working. It was working fine till I "upgraded" to Lucid, had all the cool effects, cube, emerald etc working. I am seriously thinking of giving up on Ubuntu. I've been trying to get everything working properly since February and I'm not having much luck. I've totally given up on the idea of ditching Windoze entirely.

ThePinkWitch
June 4th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Can someone please help me with this?

If youre looking at my join date, I joined in 2008 and had Ubuntu for a week then my computer MB died. The computer shop upgraded my machine and put a new version of WinXP on so I didn't put Ubuntu back on. I didn't get Ubuntu again till Feb this year. I now dual boot.

TheMadMan
June 4th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Can someone please help me with this?

If youre looking at my join date, I joined in 2008 and had Ubuntu for a week then my computer MB died. The computer shop upgraded my machine and put a new version of WinXP on so I didn't put Ubuntu back on. I didn't get Ubuntu again till Feb this year. I now dual boot.

Sorry, but is your answer not at post no. 3 above? He has stated that recent versions of Ubuntu do not have drivers for your graphic card driver. I know you stated that everything worked well in the previous version of Ubuntu, but when the poster says recent versions maybe he means 10.04.

I'm no expert on Linux/Ubuntu (look at my post count!) but it would seem that the issue is your graphics card not being supported with up to date drives for 10.04 and maybe you will have to revert back to the previous version of ubuntu?

ThePinkWitch
June 4th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Sorry, but is your answer not at post no. 3 above? He has stated that recent versions of Ubuntu do not have drivers for your graphic card driver. I know you stated that everything worked well in the previous version of Ubuntu, but when the poster says recent versions maybe he means 10.04.

I'm no expert on Linux/Ubuntu (look at my post count!) but it would seem that the issue is your graphics card not being supported with up to date drives for 10.04 and maybe you will have to revert back to the previous version of ubuntu?

Well I guess that must be the answer. Thanks for your reply. I've had it with Ubuntu. I'm tired of bashing my head on the wall. Goodluck to all the other "noobs" youre going to need it.