PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing 10.04 with CD - maybe problem with on-board Video Card

foreverNewbie
May 25th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

I first had a problem where my CD wasn't recognized and that problem just went away on its own. I'm hoping this next problem with have similar.

I am running Windows XP on Dell Dimension E310
Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz
On Board Video Card (information as to why this might be important is below)
I wanted to give Ubuntu a try and got a CD from ShipIt. If I let the CD just run, I will eventually get to the point where there is just a blank screen - this is after seeing a progress screen with 5 dots. After reading a few other posts, I find out I should press the keyboard when I see a picture of a small man. I get to the menu and press "Try Ubuntu without change"
Eventually, I get the following error message:

(process:249): GLib-Warning **: getpwuid_i(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

After about 45 seconds, the screen will go blank again.

Does anybody know what this message means? I'd still like to install Ubuntu (create a partition for it) but know I'm more than a little nervous. Would an error like that happen during installation? Or should I not even attempt to install with an error/warning like that since the Live CD doesn't seem to work on my computer?

Other Data:
I had installed 10.04 using Wubi (www.wubi.com). After the install, the only way to run it was through the Failsafe Mode, where it said that my video card was Not recognized.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Please let me know if there is any other information needed?