PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printer No Longer Recognized

marenum
May 25th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I left town for the weekend with everything running fine, and when I got back my printer was no longer recognized by the computer. I'm totally clueless, I didn't change a thing. I am running 10.04. Any ideas?

anarchywolf46
May 25th, 2010, 02:50 AM
What is the computer model and printer model?

I have been hearing about random hardware just not functioning for no reason on 10.04 LTS.

marenum
May 25th, 2010, 07:56 AM
The computer is all custom, the printer is an HP Deskjet F4280.

anarchywolf46
May 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Try one of the ls commands to see if it is recognized. I think that is connected to usb so try lsusb and see if it shows up. Also, check out https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/4098 and see if maybe something there helps. Other than that, I have no ideas. Sorry. :(

vacc73
May 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Do you have the HP toolkit installed? If not go into Ubuntu Software center and install it. HP is pretty good usually for suppporting linux, thats why I use their printers:guitar::guitar:

finlost
May 26th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I loves me some Ubuntu, but printing capabilities is a huge reason to not completely switch over from other OS's to Linux.

In the past, I have fought to get a HP 1020 installed. I won the battle for a couple days. Out of the blue, the printing capabilities took a dump on me. I didn't have the will to go to battle again.

I am now trying from fresh to install the same HP 1020 on a different computer. I connected the printer via USB. The printer was detected and installed some drivers. I couldn't print even though Ubuntu indicated my print job completed successfully. I beg to differ as nothing printed. I then installed the HP Toolbox. The HP Toolbox is indicating a required plug-in is missing. I select the radio button to download the plug-in from an authorized HP site. That is where I sit as the mystery plug-in isn't found.

Ugh.....

Like I said, I loves me some Linux, but printing needs to be easier. In the past, I would drop my file into Dropbox and then dual boot over to Vista to print. :(

*off to search the forum for the missing plug-in*

GSF1200S
May 26th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I would recommend installing hplip and cups (which should already be installed):

sudo apt-get install hplip
sudo apt-get install cups
then run:

sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart

Then, go to your web browser and put the following in the address bar:

http://localhost:631
At some point, it will ask you for your username and password. Ensure that the username is

root
and that the password is the root password. In that web interface, you can try the detect printer option and it should automagically find the proper ppd for you.

finlost
May 26th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Out of the blue, my page printed when I resubmitted it for the fifth time without doing anything additional (such as updating firmware or plugins).

Printing definitely needs to be more streamlined and reliable if Ubuntu/Linux wants to continue growing a user base.