PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

mamamia88
May 24th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Am I the only one who has a laptop which I could use anywhere in the house but still use my main computer at my desk way more?

pwnst*r
May 24th, 2010, 10:44 PM
No.

chessnerd
May 24th, 2010, 10:47 PM
No.

My laptop is currently my main computer because it is my most powerful machine. However, when I build my desktop later this summer, I will likely start using that as my main computer as it will be more powerful than my laptop.

Also, I still use my desktops a lot, it's just that all of my files are on my laptop.

nothingspecial
May 24th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Posted before finished, somehow.........

.......don`t know how?

McRat
May 24th, 2010, 10:57 PM
At home, I am often standing up and using a notebook on the kitchen counter. Mostly internet.

But for doing "work"; tuning, CAD or programming, I'm sitting down with no distractions. Big monitor, big mouse, big mouse area, big keyboard, soft comfy chair, and lots of workspace.

It doesn't need to be a fast computer. Other than gaming and video editing, a cheapo computer is plenty fast. Spend the money on the monitor and comfort to get max productivity.

Superkoop
May 24th, 2010, 11:01 PM
No, I use the desktop way more than my laptop at home. And at school, I almost never move my laptop from my desk, though occasionally I take it over to friends. But I use a computer in a set place way more than moving around.

forrestcupp
May 24th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Yes. I'll probably never use a desktop again.

Phrea
May 24th, 2010, 11:06 PM
*Phrea doesn't have a laptop

nothingspecial
May 24th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I just got a new computer, so no.

Until a few days ago, my netbook was better (in terms of ram, hd space, processing power) than my desktop.

Of course, I shall not waste my old desktop. It is now a media server.

The one before that is a torrent machine (mainly ubuntu, but other free software, although it is turned off now). I also use it to do heavy, non urgent work (ripping and encoding my dvd collection for example).

I have an old netbook that cost me £5 that serves as a digital photo frame.

And another that serves as my bedroom tv. (I like to think it cost me £10 but I think it was nearer £15)

If your laptop is more friendly then use your laptop. I like my shiny new desktop.

But don`t just switch your old computers off. Use them. An old mod called kmandala taught me that.

Dayofswords
May 24th, 2010, 11:11 PM
But don`t just switch your old computers off. Use them. An old mod called kmandala taught me that.

i still have my old windows 98 computer, i am currently trying to get some linux on it, having issue though

i will NEVER throw out a computer, there is always a use, always.

RedPaddy
May 24th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Am I the only one who has a laptop which I could use anywhere in the house but still use my main computer at my desk way more?
Depends on what I am doing. For surfing, answering emails etc. I use a laptop. When writing I prefer the large keyboard of my desktop.

John Bean
May 24th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Yes. I'll probably never use a desktop again.

I won't use the "n" word but I'm with you - it's quite unlikely that I'll ever bother with a big clunking desktop machine again. "Never" is a bit too restrictive ;-)

Phrea
May 24th, 2010, 11:14 PM

I beg to differ.
Got some machines nobody has any use for anymore, not even myself, other than booting them for a nice little trip down memory lane.

...wait, I see what you mean now. :lolflag:

mamamia88
May 24th, 2010, 11:16 PM
actually my main computer is a 17" hp laptop. i keep it plugged in on my desk as a desktop replacement. i have a mini netbook but besides using it as an htpc on occasion and checking twitter during sporting events i hardly ever use it

NightwishFan
May 24th, 2010, 11:19 PM
A laptop is the only option for me. Every other kind of machine I consider and use only as a kiosk or server. I like the portability and functionality of a laptop. I do not greatly rely on the web so I never got into netbooks. I would rather have a Pandora to do the same thing.

The moment I bought my laptop my low end desktop was converted into a squid proxy and file server running Debian. I recently reinstalled Ubuntu on it then donated it.

Phrea
May 24th, 2010, 11:26 PM
The moment I bought my laptop my low end desktop was converted into a squid proxy and file server running Debian. I recently reinstalled Ubuntu on it then donated it.

I do that too, with hardware I don't use anymore but is still in good working order.
It's a waste to just throw something out, just because you upgraded or you think it's 'too old'.

oldsoundguy
May 24th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Most laptops are too small for my hands to be able to touch type (seem to be designed for children and women). Only the EXPENSIVE ones with a standard sized keyboard come close. So I don't HAVE a laptop.

Timmer1240
May 24th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Still love desktop computers better We got a dell Laptop with windows 7 on it Wifes rig. Mine gateway GM5084 triple boot xp 7 and of course Karmic.Never hardly touch the laptop I got a big comfy chair 20" flatscreen monitor so Im at home on the desktop she runs like a dream finally with Ubuntu!She dont understand Linux but its not so hard!Just gotta be willing to learn!

lisati
May 24th, 2010, 11:51 PM
My laptop is my "day to day" machine, its specs are better suited to video editing than either of my desktops. My dream is to one day have a better desktop for the video work, freeing up my laptop for when I'm out and about.

seenthelite
May 24th, 2010, 11:58 PM
3 Laptops in use at home, no desktops.

magmon
May 25th, 2010, 12:03 AM
90% of the time I lay in bed while using my laptop. My total amount of PC time has been greatly decreasing over the last few months, however...

undecim
May 25th, 2010, 12:55 AM
No. I don't have a desktop right now, but the times that I do have a working desktop, I spend more time on it than my laptop. It's more comfortable with the screen not sitting right above the keyboard and using a handheld mouse rather than a touchpad.

Phrea
May 25th, 2010, 01:09 AM
90% of the time I lay in bed while using my laptop. My total amount of PC time has been greatly decreasing over the last few months, however...

May one inquire why?
If it's too personal, consider my question as not asked.

NightwishFan
May 25th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Crispin: Yes, police girl. Alucard does not need a central processing unit to calculate how long the night is. :D

MasterNetra
May 25th, 2010, 01:31 AM

No, your not alone I do too. I take with me when I need to, but I usually don't let it out of my sight.

magmon
May 25th, 2010, 01:35 AM
May one inquire why?
If it's too personal, consider my question as not asked.

I lay in bed because I'm too lazy to sit up xD. It strains my back and neck over time. In all truth, I sit up to do important tasks and for a good portion of my computer usage, but simple things such as music and forum browsing are better done leisurely. As to the lessened time on the computer as of late, I blame metal gear solid.

Phrea
May 25th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I lay in bed because I'm too lazy to sit up xD. It strains my back and neck over time. In all truth, I sit up to do important tasks and for a good portion of my computer usage, but simple things such as music and forum browsing are better done leisurely. As to the lessened time on the computer as of late, I blame metal gear solid.

Ok.
I thought you might be ill or something.

As it happens, I do the same thing [pc besides bed rules !!], but I think I do it about 60% of the time.
This is also the reason why I have two main computers, my 'bed pc' and my 'desk pc'. :D

tuxtorch
May 25th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I have the desktop which I always use, only Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit on it now, my wife has her own laptop running Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit, my mom has her own desktop and refuses to use Linux and still has Windows XP on it. I don't know what bit, never really looked at it cause it's Windows.

Legendary_Bibo
May 25th, 2010, 03:45 AM
i still have my old windows 98 computer, i am currently trying to get some linux on it, having issue though

You've obviously never lived in a household of packrats who've collected over 3 computers per person. We have 13 computers in the house, and we can't clear them out until my dad "fixes" them. I took the liberty of installing some form of linux on each of them so they boot faster than 2 hours. Lo and behold they're fixed.

nmccrina
May 25th, 2010, 04:06 AM
No. I only have a laptop at the moment, but it never leaves my desk. I have an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor hooked up and took the battery out. Yes, my next PC will be a desktop (that hopefully I build myself). :)