PDA

View Full Version : Just a positive note

K.Mandla
March 23rd, 2006, 08:28 PM
Thought I'd say I like the new forum layout. I'm particularly keen on the right-side bar for the home page, with the security announcements and new posts and quick search bar.

To be honest, the quick search is an invaluable addition. Nine times out of ten I'm looking for an answer to a hardware or software problem, and being able to jump immediately into a search panel is quite welcome.

Keep up the good work! :mrgreen:

ubuntu-geek
March 23rd, 2006, 10:55 PM
Glad to hear something nice about the layout today :)

Zeroangel
March 23rd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Glad to hear something nice about the layout today :)
Someone actually likes it. Great. Now if you read a post about someone liking the new changes you can just hold on to it while simultaneously locking posts of people who critisize it.

ubuntu-geek
March 23rd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Someone actually likes it. Great. Now if you read a post about someone liking the new changes you can just hold on to it while simultaneously locking posts of people who critisize it.
Look, I stated why the new posts was moved 3 or 4 times in that other thread. I'm sorry you personally dislike, sending me PM's swearing at me isnt going to help your ranting cause. I stated I am not changing it, deal with it.

Zeroangel
March 23rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
I PM'd you to resolve this quietly without making a big spectacle of it, and I mostly did so to be nice. I used one swear word in the PM, and it wasn't even designed to be derogatory to you in any form.

Then what makes this any different then the fixed width issue that you and kassetera worked on a few days ago?

The way I see it, you got enough user input and then you caved. There was no, "this is the decision we're making, NO DISCUSSION" sort of thing.

However, unlike the fixed width issue where you did need to supplant a feature in the attempt to increase usability, you discovered that it failed. Your new attempt attempt at increasing usability actually made it *worse*, for people who use very large screen resolutions. So a compromise had to be reached. And you instead had to change your way of approaching the problem.

This is the same thing with this. You want to increase usability by adding an inbuilt search function right into the mainmenu. You want to make the 'Members Map' toy accessable because you use it often, having a personal stake in how much it is spread throughout the world it is useful to you. I on the other hand could not give 2 shits about how spread throughout the world ubuntu is. Maybe every 3 months it strikes me as a curiosity, but I certainly do not want it right up there with tools I use daily.

Personally, I don't see what major usability problems that this update has fixed, that were broken before. I simply can't see the posts where other users were complaining about the old search setup and how broken it was.

Apollyein
March 23rd, 2006, 11:36 PM
Two. Freaking. Clicks.

That's it. That's what you are crusading against.

You are wasting countless amounts of energy for... two clicks.

Am I the only one that sees something funny in that?

~Polly

KiwiNZ
March 23rd, 2006, 11:39 PM
With apologies to K.Mandla your comments are really appreciated but unfortunately your thread has been hijacked.

I am going to close it.