PDA

View Full Version : [other] Ubuntu Instal Preperation: What's the Best way ~ Backing Up to a Network Drive

u2rcrazy
May 24th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I'm getting ready to install Ubuntu onto my computer and in preparation I'm backing up my personal files to my Network HD. I've tried different methods of backing up from my Windows 7 to my Buffalo Hard Drive on my home network such as using Sync Back, copying & pasting within Windows. I'm attempting to copy my entire user folder from Windows to the Buffalo and Sync back fails and the copy and paste function fails as well. I only seem to get about 200mb of 102gigs I select.

I decided to change from copying and pasting the whole user folder to copying and pastingthe entire contents of my user folder and that seems to work for the most part. The only thing is that I constantly get these pop up messages asking if I want to try that file/folder again or skip it and go to the next one (they also include a check box that tells Windows to do the same function for the next question). With this happening, I don't know if I'm copying all my information and I'm not sure what is missing.

What do you think? Do you know of a better way without going out and buying an expensive program. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible and accurate/complete. Thanks for your time.:)