PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 6400

Linux_junkie
May 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hi guys, anyone got one of these laptaps and has experienced it getting hot?

Can you tell me where the fan is based and how to get access to it?

The right hand side of the laptop just above the internat speaker gets hot, in fact I'm sure you can fry an egg on it. Do you think its a problem with the fan or the battery?

Zyrtec
May 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I've had many complaints from people with this same problem, same model of computer, and same area on the laptop. It seems that the hard drives run really hot.

I think the best you can do is get a cooling pad, unfortunately :\

bondo101
May 24th, 2010, 08:37 PM
The fan is near the key board all laptops lately have heat pipe cooling for the laptops. Which heats up the key board on most laptops, Incline the laptop meaning larger feet on the back so it gets more air under the laptop for cooling, my vaio was hot untill i installed larger feet on the bottom and in the back of the computer.fan pads are a quick help for heat .:P

Linux_junkie
May 25th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Thank you for your info. Hard disk is now working normally again after it has cooled down during the night. I thought with the over heating the hard disk had burned itself out but not so. I'm guessing with the over heating problem I had a problem with the fan.

bcbc
May 25th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I have the 6400 - it says it's running at 40 degrees celsius. I've always felt it ran too hot (whether running windows or ubuntu), but I do hear the fan come on, so as you say that's probably your problem.