PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] partition not writable

oaridus
May 24th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hi, I have a common /data partition for both ubuntu and debian with ext4 filesystem. The partition doesn't allow me to write to. It has the following permission
drwxr_xr_x root root /data
So I changed the owner of the partition to sid using
sudo chown -R sid:sid /data
Then I was able to write to the partition . My question is how do I make the partition writable right from boot time onwards. Please help

bodhi.zazen
May 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Hi, I have a common /data partition for both ubuntu and debian with ext4 filesystem. The partition doesn't allow me to write to. It has the following permission
drwxr_xr_x root root /data
So I changed the owner of the partition to sid using
sudo chown -R sid:sid /data
Then I was able to write to the partition . My question is how do I make the partition writable right from boot time onwards. Please help

You should now be good to go.

For details see : How to fstab - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?&t=283131)

But the "bottom line" - You should only need to run that command once.

oaridus
May 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks Bodhi for the great tutorial. Ya, now after again booting into my system the /data partition is writable. It has the following permission
drwxr_xr_x sid sid /data

Also I changed the mount point to /media/data. So that /data appears in my Places menu for easy access. It appeared a "11GB file system". Then I used tune2fs to label the partition
tune2fs -L Data /dev/sda7
and now on boot up I have the Data in the Places menu. Thanks once again.