PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] remove GDM?

jfreak_
May 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I never use the login screen, so i was wondering that if i replace it with a lighter login manager would the boot speed increase?

Brandon Williams
May 24th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Why run a login manager at all if you don't use it? You can simply do this:

sudo mv /etc/X11/default-display-manager /etc/X11/default-display-manager.orig
echo "" | sudo tee /etc/X11/default-display-manager

By emptying out that file (/etc/X11/default-display-manager), you effectively disabled the graphical login manager. Try that out and see whether it impacts your boot speed. If you ever want to restore the previous config, just:

sudo mv /etc/X11/default-display-manager.orig /etc/X11/default-display-manager

angry_johnnie
May 24th, 2010, 10:05 PM
you could also install an app like bum (in repositories), and then just disable GDM.

-humanaut-
May 25th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I don't think you'd see any significant differences between GDM and any other login manager. I'd recommend SLiM though as a replacement download it and it will offer to default for you.

jfreak_
May 25th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Why run a login manager at all if you don't use it? You can simply do this:

sudo mv /etc/X11/default-display-manager /etc/X11/default-display-manager.orig
echo "" | sudo tee /etc/X11/default-display-managerBy emptying out that file (/etc/X11/default-display-manager), you effectively disabled the graphical login manager. Try that out and see whether it impacts your boot speed. If you ever want to restore the previous config, just:

sudo mv /etc/X11/default-display-manager.orig /etc/X11/default-display-manager

nah the bootchart still shows three gdm processes running.

what was the situation when we are forced to login using a console type environment and then use startx?
Is it when the gdm is not working? In that case can i remove gdm and somehow automate the above process?

jfreak_
May 25th, 2010, 07:47 AM
hmmm looks like this (http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7176896) is what i want but there are no instrutions there

Brandon Williams
May 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM
nah the bootchart still shows three gdm processes running.

The method I indicated is the way that I do exactly what you are trying to do ... disable the login manager. Upstart will still run the gdm startup script, but it will not actually start gdm.

Are you certain that you typed the correct filename when you created the replacement file? If you have no file called /etc/X11/default-display-manager, the upstart script will act as if the system is configured to run gdm. If the file exists and does not contain the value "/usr/sbin/gdm", upstart will exit from the gdm script without doing anything.