PDA

View Full Version : Tablet (not tied to cellphone company) vs Smartphone

samalex
May 24th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hi...

I've seen this big push for smartphones and now netbooks and tablets that are tied to the cellphone company over the years, whether it be a BlackBerry, iPhone, Android Phone, or even Windows Mobile/Phone OS, but I'm not sure why so many are jumping on it. This might make me sound old-school but I don't like the tie between my portable device of choice and a company like Verizon, AT&T, etc. I'd rather have my phone be a phone and have a tablet or portable device be that. If I want to be networked outside of the Wifi connection at my house I'd like to see something like the MiFi or some other add-on device that I can use on the side or choose not to use if I want. Why are so many people spending an arm and leg every month for an all-encompassing device?

Other than when I'm in the car I can get wifi access in about any restaurant, at home, etc, so is listening to streaming music in the car or updating Facebook/Twitter worth a HUGE cellphone bill? I know people who spend $200 or more for cell service (two phones) but I just don't see why. I'll pay $12/month for Sirius if I want that, but the local NPR station or podcasts have about everything I care to listen to when I'm on the go.

So for people with a Smartphone, Tablet, or Netbook tied to a cellphone company, what benefits do you have over having a standalone device? And what do you pay (if you don't mind my asking)? And is it worth it?

Thanks --

Sam